Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

20's on 1st gen GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-02, 12:31 AM
daygo718
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20's on 1st gen GS?

Will 20's fit the 1st gen GS or is it pushing it? Also, what would be the proper staggered set-up? I'm thinking 20x8.5 front & 20x9.5 rears will work. Any suggestions?
Old 07-06-02, 01:28 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will definitely work but depending on the style of the whelel, it may look "too large"...same thing with the new GS...I've seen chrome uglies on both the older and newer GS is a typical "Bling bling rap star no taste" style (like Neepers) and the wheels looked SO huge, it looked WRONG.

20x8.5 and 20x9.5 should work fine... I believe you can use standard JZS-161 offsets and you'll be fine. Link13 also did a more aggressive setup on his 19's and that worked for him.

Is this for you?
Old 07-06-02, 02:14 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I saw few 1st Gen. GS with 20s. They don't look good. Do 19s......They'll look perfect on your GS.
Old 07-06-02, 02:13 PM
daygo718
Lead Lap

Manaray- I'm going back and forth between a 2nd gen LS and a first gen GS for a "beater" car. I like the LS because of the comfort and luxury, but I've always liked the 1st gen GS (I was actually going to by one instead of my '92 SC). Also, since I know I can find a clean GS for about $10-12k, I'll have enough money left over to hook it up almost immediately. The LS's I've been looking at have been in the high teens to low 20's (considerably more than a GS). Also, there are not that many LS's or GS's hooked up "right". Just a few ghetto ones. Although I'm a fan of chrome, I believe in not overdoing it and still keeping a car classy...it's still a Lexus...right! I'm leaning towards silver/polish for my next set of wheels.

I'm thinking some 20" HRE 543R's, coilovers (not sure what's available, Apexi exhaust, Injen intake and the classy sport design kit for the first gen GS. Sound familiar?

Seriously, not trying to bite your ride Manaray, but that would be one tight 1st gen GS, huh?!
Old 07-06-02, 03:40 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by LS400 GOD

Just bite off of the CELSIOR GOD's LS and get the Fabulous Profounds (20's Polished hehe.) Fabulous bodykit and Profounds...hmmm.

hush it!
Old 07-06-02, 05:28 PM
Wheel Experts

a second gen LS with some 20" Work Euroline LS or FS would be SWEEEEEET!!!!!

Or you could go with this (Auto Couture, of course!!!!)

EDIT: I tried post bigger pics, but the attachment size has changed.
Attached Thumbnails 20's on 1st gen GS?-resize-of-ls400cel_comp_f.jpg  

Last edited by Wheel Experts; 07-06-02 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-06-02, 09:48 PM
daygo718
Lead Lap

If I end up with the LS, I would definitely consider the Auto Couture kit. Very classy IMO and one of my favorites. The Wald kit is nice too and inexpensive (since it is just a lip spoiler). I like the Fabulous kit too, but CELSIOR GOD is already going the Fab route!

As far as wheels, I'm really considering getting a set of 20" HRE 540R's (regardless if I get a GS or LS) since I already have a set of Work wheels. I'm not sure what style yet. I like the 540, 543 and 549. Although, the Profounds would look tight too...huh CELSIOR GOD!
Old 07-06-02, 09:56 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by daygo718
If I end up with the LS, I would definitely consider the Auto Couture kit. Very classy IMO and one of my favorites. The Wald kit is nice too and inexpensive (since it is just a lip spoiler). I like the Fabulous kit too, but CELSIOR GOD is already going the Fab route!

As far as wheels, I'm really considering getting a set of 20" HRE 540R's (regardless if I get a GS or LS) since I already have a set of Work wheels. I'm not sure what style yet. I like the 540, 543 and 549. Although, the Profounds would look tight too...huh CELSIOR GOD!
Just to **** off the CELSIOR GOD, just get the Fabulous bodykit and 20 inch Profounds. Hehe.
Old 07-06-02, 11:23 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by LS400 GOD

Just to **** off the CELSIOR GOD, just get the Fabulous bodykit and 20 inch Profounds. Hehe.
hey eggnog hush it,stop trying to convince everyone hehe
Old 07-07-02, 08:43 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Daygo – Hey bro, I was in the same situation as you in regards to a beater. However, since I already owned a GS, I was looking at the SC in addition to the JZS-147 GS300 and a UCF20/21 MC Before LS400. I was actually willing to buy ANY of those three…I just happen to find a super clean SC with low miles for a good price…

At any rate, it’s NICE to hear someone else wanting to do a JZS-147 GS300…Link13, Rico, and McNelson are the only others I can think of off the top of my head that have nicely done JZS-147 GS300’s…ones that are done “right”. I too would like to eventually do one also but I’ll need a bigger garage!

It’s also nice to hear that you want to try silver/high polish this time…I’m telling you, you’ll like it. It’s clean and not “flashy”.

Now moving on to the mods…for the wheels, I would really look at some 19’s. I would LOVE to see someone do the HRE 441R’s…do that with some slightly taller 19” tires (245/40-19 and 275/35-19….S03’s are available in those sizes) so that you’ll get the extra 0.5” ground clearance and comfort (plus pothole protection). Then I’d look into getting some HKS LS coilovers (especially if the price has dropped down to $1700 retail). I am going to try to get some prices from Japan on those for you and Link13. I think Tein also has the CS’s available in Japan for the JZS-147’s…

As for the exhaust, there are a few choices. I don’t think APEXi makes a WS exhaust for the JZS-147…but don’t worry, a lot of other Japanese companies do. I take it you’re looking for a cat-back that’s relatively quiet…also, an intake WILL add a extra noise…dunno if you want that. I would leave the intake stock to tell you the truth and just drop a turbo in there later…

As for the body kit…hehehe…I think the Classy for the JZS-147 is nice also. I also like the Quest but my favorite is the Junction Produce kit. However, it needs to have the doorcaps put on which is a little extra cost and a little extra labor. It’s probably one of the more expensive kits on the market (about $3500) but that’s including F/S/R plus doorcaps plus the rear spoiler. The Veilside kit is also nice on this body style…

Speaking of the rear spoiler, I think a 3-piece “lip” type spoiler looks nice on the JZS-147 GS3’s…nothing big and obnoxious…just nice, simple and clean. I also like this style spoiler for the JZS-161 GS’s…anyways…here’s what I would do….

JZS-147 GS300 (1993~1997)
HRE 441R wheels (Silver or Diamond Cut centers with High Polished lip)
** On a darker car, I would consider gunmetal paint/anodized centers
HKS LS or Tein CS Coilovers (JDM Import…MIGHT be avail through US dist.)
Sustec Sway Bars (JDM Import)
Night Pager Underbody Bracing (JDM Import)
Custom Made STB’s (PM me on this)
Supra TT Brake Upgrade with Steel Braided Lines (Slotted rotors)
AutoLamps HID Upgrade (Group Buy!)
Junction Produce Body Kit (full kit)..or Classy, or Veilside, or Quest. (JDM Import)
Full tint (5% on back, 35% on the front sides…less cop hassle this way…)
And if it’s a high mileage engine, I would drop in one my $2500 Zero Mile 2JZ-GE’s...
Old 07-07-02, 10:58 PM
daygo718
Lead Lap

Damn Manaray, looks like you're all set to get that JZS-147 and hook it up...better get a house with a bigger garage!

I forgot about the JP kit (I like the spoiler). The JP kit is nice too, but I think I like the Classy kit better. Do you have pics of the Quest kit for the 1st gen GS that you can post? I'm not sure if I've seen it. Also, does Classy Sport Design have a website? I've seen the pics you've posted, but I'd like to see more if they're available. What does the Classy kit retail for?

As for wheels, any reason you would rather go 19's instead of 20's? If I did 19's the 441R's is probably one of the only 19" wheels I would consider (it's one of the nicest looking wheels out there IMO), but I would like to do staggered 540R's if possible.

Other mods (besides the kit and wheels) I would do immediately would be the Tein CS (if I can get them from Japan), exhaust (not sure what's available...maybe Blitz), HID upgrade, wood/leather steering wheel and window tint. The other stuff I'd probably get to later.
Old 07-07-02, 11:09 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

The easy solution guys..when in doubt, just get both.

Daygo - The JZS147 would look extremely clean with a nice bodykit and 19 inch HRE's (I think 19's would look just a little bit slicker for the 1st Gen GS300 with a kit in my opinion but 20's will flow just as nicely).

So manaray..hmm 2002 LS430 UL? I suppose a JP Bodykit?
Old 07-07-02, 11:50 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Daygo – Well I WAS set to do a JZS-147 GS300 but I found a JZZ-30 SC400 instead…

As for 19” vs. 20”, well for the JZS-147, 19” wheels look fine. Take a look at Rico’s car. Also, with 19”, since it’s going to be a “beater”, you can put taller sidewall tires on the car which will give you the benefits I listed in the previous post. Plus you have WAY more choices in design. As for the 441R’s, why do a set of staggered 441R’s? 19x8.5 and 19x10?

I think the Classy Kit for the JZS-147 retail for pretty cheap…like $1700 or so. But it’s not a common kit even in Japan so it might be hard to get.

As for the HID upgrade, the AutoLamps deal is going to stop at the end of this month. You might want to get it beforehand…as for the exhaust, probably have one brought it while you’re getting the body kit…email me at gs430@mac.com and let me see if I can help you out on the JDM stuff…

LS400 God – Hehehe…2003 LS430 UL…but only if I sell my GS430. As for the body kit, the JP is one pick…I have a couple of others…
Old 07-08-02, 12:24 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Go 20's!!!

I have a first gen GS and I'm going to be getting some 20's (Lowenhart BR5's, polished lip with satin center) 20x8.5 up front and 20x10 for the rear. I've seen first gen GS's on 20" Giovannas and even though I'm not fond of the wheel, I can't say that it didn't look that bad. This fella even had them wrapped in a 40 series tire and there was still ample room to drop the car. Go 20's definitely, the wheel well on the first Gen's are huge!!
Old 07-08-02, 04:35 PM
rsg
Pole Position

How much are those going to cost you?

Quick Reply: 20's on 1st gen GS?