Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Hankook Evo Ventus V12 Review:

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 02:46 AM
avascon1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have these tires too, and have for 5 months on my 3es. They are a great tire and not once have I heard them skid or slide in a scenario that doesn't call for it. One good example of the quality was when I was driving along side a friend of mine in his Pontiac with a month old bridgestones and you could smell his rubber burn when he sped up and slowed down, while mine did not have that problem. Just a quality tire for a great price!
Old 08-13-10, 09:42 AM
allst4r
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so much quieter than my goodyear eagle f1 a/s. but lets see after 4k miles.
Old 08-16-10, 06:47 PM
Likwid XTC
Lead Lap

My v12 are still goin good I have a 30 min commute to work n from work. Grips great. Still quiet.
Old 08-16-10, 08:37 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm about to test these tires REALLY sooooon.....
Old 08-27-10, 02:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I'm about to test these tires REALLY sooooon.....
How did the test go?
Old 08-27-10, 03:06 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

I just put a set of these on my GS400 a week ago and I have had a different experience. I would not recommend these for those who are wanting/needing a high performance tire.

I'm running 245/40/18's on my GS. I've got Tein CS with all the braces and the car is very unstable on sweeping freeway curves. Yesterday the car starts rocking back and forth on the 55 and 73 freeway curve/interchange and I thought the rear end was gong to come loose and go into a spin when the back end hopped. I was only going 60 - I can't imagine what would have happened if I was going 70 or 80. The side wall on this tire is way too soft for a performance sedan that's as big as the GS.

I've got a call into Hankook customer service and I'm waiting from Shawn Lee to call me back. I need them to issue a credit to my tire dealer so I can replace them with something else. It scared me and my heart was beating hard for a couple minutes after this yesterday.

I had Toyo Proxis 4's on the car previously and they were champs - none of this nonsense with they Toyo's. If you drive like grandpa and are all stock these would probably be fine - but not for the enthusiast with a few suspension mods - the tire just can't handle it.

I'll keep everyone posted on how good Hankook customer service is and let you know how well they take care of me on this.

Scott
Old 08-27-10, 09:42 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

I'm currently running Toyo Proxes 4 245/40/18. They are soft too... And they are all season tires. How could these be better than a Summer High Performance tires..
Old 08-28-10, 09:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Something is wrong with the (modified) car, not the tires.
Old 08-28-10, 10:57 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

To address the previous 2 posts:

1. The Hankook sidwalls are way softer than the Toyo 4 sidewalls - and yes the toyo's are an all season tire but is a much more performance oriented tire than the Hankook from my experience with both of them regardless of what there classification is. As the first poster noted how much more comfortable the V12's are compared to the Toyo 4's - that's because the sidewalls of the V12's are softer. He stated that his 20's now feel like 19's. That's a softer sidewall. And I would concur that they are more comfortable but there is a price to pay for that if you are looking for performance.

2. There is nothing wrong with the suspension mods on my car - as soon as the Hankooks were installed the car handled very different - up to the point where I felt as though I was going to go into a spin and crash due to these tires. Before the new tires everythings fine - after the new tires car is unstable. On my car these tires are not stable - YMMV. If you don't have direct experince with something please don't make assumptions about someone else's car.

Shawn from Hankook did not call me back on Friday but I did leave him another message. We'll see how long it takes him to get back to me.

Last edited by Scott1258; 08-28-10 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-28-10, 11:07 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^^ I leave the assumptions to you, since you have expetise beyond the factory on suspension with all the braces. Thanks. Best of luck.
Old 09-06-10, 12:48 AM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Ordering these this week! I'll give my review in about a month.
Old 09-06-10, 08:57 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

So what happened to Scott1258 and his tire situation. Please update status, since a call was placed with customer service at Hankook.
Old 09-06-10, 11:27 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
So what happened to Scott1258 and his tire situation. Please update status, since a call was placed with customer service at Hankook.
Thanks for asking IS- SV Here's the update:

It took me a week and many phone calls to finally get a hold of Shawn Lee at Hankook. He never called me back after numerous messages - I just finally caught him at his desk after talking with another customer service rep who told me he was available and transfered me.

Bottom line is he finally agreed to take the tires back and issue me a credit. You had better be prepared to be stubborn and insistant if you ever want them to accept a return. I believe if a customer is not happy a company should graciously accept your return and make you feel good about buying from them rather than making it an ordeal and them acting like they are doing you a favor. I never buy again from companys that treat me this way. I will never buy again from Hankook. Their customer service has a lot to be desired -- but he did follow through with calling my tire dealer and giving them the reference numbers to issue me a credit so I could order a different brand of tire. After he decided it was in the company's best interest to satisfy me he did take the steps to do the return quickly.

I've decisded to go with a set of Toyo T1R's and they will be in on Tuesday. Plus, Toyo totally believes in their product and offers a 500 mile love them or return them guarantee - no questions asked. Now that's customer service! All tires should come with this.

I enjoyed the Proxis 4's I had previously except they made a little more noise than I would have liked so I thought I would stick with the Toyo brand. Besides this they were an excellent tire and handled perfect on the GS. I have a set of T1R's on my '93 MR2 Turbo and like them a lot on that car. Well see how the T1R rides and responds in comparison on the GS. I'll do a little comparison review between the V12's, the Proxis 4, and the T1R once I've had a little time with the T1R's on the car and some miles.

At this point I would share with everyone that the V12 is a sheep in wolf's clothing. And now that I think of it that's how their customer service side felt too - they claim on their web site that customer service is Job 1 and is the first thing they talk about in their mission statement. Just like the tires not being what they were advertised - their CS was not either. I feel the V12's are not a performance tire but more of a touring tire. Very very soft side walls and tends to thud over bumps which is annoying (it's a thuddy tire ). It just doesn't feel refined like the toyos and yokohamas I've had in the past. The car waddles and feels insecure while making the car bounce. It's only saving grace I can find is it is quiet and smooth riding in a straight line when there are no bumps. When you start to turn all the pluses just fade away. Perhaps if you are riding on 19 or 20's and want some comfort with a short sidewall these would be an okay choice - since with this size wheel all you are doing is cruzin anyway.

If you are thinking of going with this tire I would tell you to be cautious and look at alternatives carefully before jumping into this pond. I'm glad I got out alive!
Old 09-06-10, 11:48 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone else wanna jump in on this? I just want to see more opinions.
Old 09-06-10, 12:37 PM
Feirax
Driver

I got my Evo's installed last week; initially the tire installer put my 255/40R18 tires on the left side of the car, and 225/40/R18 on the right side (@$#%$), but after getting the tires reinstalled I have to say they feel like an improvement over my Bridgestone Turanza ER33s, but I still have to let them break-in a bit before I take them to their limits. For comparison sake, I was happy with my older Bridgestones for a grand touring tire, even with the 1 track day I did with them I was pleased.

Quick Reply: Hankook Evo Ventus V12 Review: