Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

19's coming tomorrow...HOW DO I DRIVE????

Old 06-24-02, 07:28 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 19's coming tomorrow...HOW DO I DRIVE????

Ok. I know I have to be careful for certain but do I need to stop driving all together?

What I mean is...does anyone have any experience with bumps, crack, potholes that they can share with rubber band tires. How fast were you driving when you hit the obstacle? What was it? What was the outcome?

I don't want to spend the rest of my life at 10 mph, nor do I really want to answer this question with my own experience.

FYI...tires are 245/35 BUT I am considering 255/35 or even 245/40 on the fronts with similar sized rear for a 9.5" wheel.

PLEASE help a brother out here and put my mind at ease.

Late.

FYI...running Zauber Gettin which I believe to be of good quality.

Ryan
Old 06-24-02, 09:27 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Ryan, I think it depends on your suspension. Are you still on stock suspension or aftermarket. Reason why I ask is because suspension plays an important role too. If you are on stiff suspension, be very careful off potholes. You will feel it throughout your entire body and it puts more stress on the wheels. Stock suspension will "soak" up the impact of a pothole making it less likely that there will be damage to the wheel. Another thing to consider is the wheel and quality of it. Is it a knock off or the real deal. My opinion is to drive the car the same but just be more careful with hazards on the road. I'm always on the lookout for potholes. My wheels are too damn expensive to fix If I bend one. Good luck and have fun with your 19's...
Old 06-24-02, 09:35 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should be fine, just watch out for railroad tracks, and curbs.

Zauber Gettins are good quality wheels, shouldn't worry about them cracking.

If my friends can survive on 20's in NY you should be fine with 19's in Texas.
Old 06-24-02, 10:59 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

i do pay extra attention to road conditions in my areas...when driving over railroad, as slow as possible(try not to have cars behind you as many would HONK at you; not to mention the risk of being smashed....)
Old 06-25-02, 01:08 AM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

To get around town on a race car suspension, 19" wheels, and 25 series sidewalls.. I spend the money on HRE forged wheels.
Old 06-25-02, 02:28 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ What he said except I have 30 and 35 series tires on 20" HRE's...

Generally, I would say PAY ATTENTION when you drive. Look for potholes and road debris...there is a small side benefit to having some wheles on your car...it makes you usually drive slower (because you're looking for road imperfections) so you'll get less speeding tickets...

Don't go flying over railroad tracks, speed bumps, wild animals, people and other people's loose car parts...

If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. Your car could be parked in your garage and your mountain bike can tip over and have the end of the handle bar land right in the middle of the lip and leave a nice gouge... :eek: ...hey, it happens...
Old 06-25-02, 05:57 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by manaray
^^ What he said except I have 30 and 35 series tires on 20" HRE's...

Generally, I would say PAY ATTENTION when you drive. Look for potholes and road debris...there is a small side benefit to having some wheles on your car...it makes you usually drive slower (because you're looking for road imperfections) so you'll get less speeding tickets...

Don't go flying over railroad tracks, speed bumps, wild animals, people and other people's loose car parts...

If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. Your car could be parked in your garage and your mountain bike can tip over and have the end of the handle bar land right in the middle of the lip and leave a nice gouge... :eek: ...hey, it happens...
Such a positive person.....
Old 06-25-02, 12:57 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hehehe..hey, just trying to give the reality of the situation! I've seen many wheels get messed up in non-highway related incidents!
Old 06-26-02, 06:35 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

AgGS400...You will have the exact wheel size set up that I have based on your post.

I have Enkei's in 19X8.5 with Toyo 245/35 in the front and 19X9.5 with 275/35 in the rear (Yes, this is the correct tire set up, lets NOT get into that again.)

You will be fine!! Obviously, be careful while you're driving and avoid any unecessary potholes and go slow over RR tracks. But, that size rubber is by no means a rubber band. You'll see when you get the tires. You will be amazed at how much control you gain by going with the wheel/tire combo you have selected.

Also, you'll need to lower your car at least an inch or so... My suggestion is go with a set of the Eibachs (Pro-Kit). It will bring your car down to what I think is close to the perfect level. It won't tuck the wheel, but it is close. It also will not rub at all.

Good luck!! Great Choice!!

Todd
Old 06-26-02, 07:19 AM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the encouragement Todd, Rico, whatever. Hopefully, I can check out your ride some time!

I already have the car lowered a bit...TTE springs and L-tuned shocks. Probably a 1.25" job at least. I plan to add Tein Flex when I find a deal.

Hopefully I won't hit any animals...thanks Manaray!

What I was really looking for was some actual experiences of what I can take at what speeds and what I can't.

Potholes and railroad tracks are all bad....what about speed bumps, etc.

Thanx for the input.

Ryan
Old 06-26-02, 07:34 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

My name is Todd...the Rico thing is a long story, LOL!!

Don't drive too far out of the ordinary. 99% of the time if you hit a pothole, speed bump, etc... you'll be alright. Just try to minimize the jolts.

I try to take the speed bumps very slowly, usually there aren't too many people to **** off around them anyway.

Just enjoy your wheels.

Todd
Old 06-27-02, 02:45 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

AgGS400 I run 19s on my Sc300 with tires size of 235/35 in the front and 265/30 in the rear. I have aftermarket suspension also and from the Houston area. I still drive like I normally drive and dont really have any problems. Jsut remember the streets that have the most pot holes and bump and try not to go down those streets, and when you have to go down crappy streets just dont go that fast. After you get use to it , it pretty much is easy to drive around wiht 19s or 20s.

BTW how much did u get ur Gettin's for, my friend is looking for some in 19s.
Old 06-27-02, 04:45 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks everyone.

I just ordered the tires...245/35 and 275/30 SO3s from Tirerack.

It will take some getting used to but I don't like hitting stuff in my ride anyways...shouldn't be too hard to adjust.

Din...got them from GS4Will. You'll have to contact him for current pricing but I paid mid-2,000s. He is a good guy to do business with.

Late.

Ryan
Old 06-27-02, 07:00 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

What tire pressures are y'all running...cold?

Late.
Old 06-27-02, 09:56 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Ryan,

glad you finally received them..how about some pics

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 19's coming tomorrow...HOW DO I DRIVE????