Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Computer Working Again

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-02, 07:43 PM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer Working Again

Last week I had my hard drive crashed and have lost nearly everything-- contact information, emails, pricing spreadsheets, etc.

I have almost everything redone and working now. If you have emailed me and did not receive a reply, PLEASE resend it. Thanks and I appreciate everyone's understanding while I work through this problem.
Old 06-18-02, 04:56 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP....especially a business computer. Dennis, if you need some "computer consulting", email me...

Did you have a Mac or PC...oh wait, it crashed, had to be a PC!
Old 06-18-02, 10:39 AM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Originally posted by manaray
BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP....especially a business computer. Dennis, if you need some "computer consulting", email me...

Did you have a Mac or PC...oh wait, it crashed, had to be a PC!
Mac....
Old 06-19-02, 02:29 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Hehehe...are you kidding me?! I used to admin about 25 workstation grade Macs...to say the least, I barely worked. I was busier trying to help the PC IT guys fix their crap (which went down daily!)...they had 35 computers and 1 server, I had 25 computers and 1 server...they had a staff of 5 people...I had a staff of 1...me...7:1 ratio for the PCs and 25:1 for the Mac...makes you wonder, eh?

...I have two Macs at home and both have been up for over 3 months w/o a single power down or reboot or crash....my three PC's that I have going crash at least once a week...one of them, I narrowed it down to a stupid ATI card issue (Radeon 64 DDR and Windows XP Professional and XP Home just do NOT get along)..the other two, who knows...they crash at random and for no obvious reason...

At any rate, you still need to backup!! If you need some help with your Mac, let me know...Retrospect has worked best for me. That along with a AIT-2 tape system has yet to fail me...AIT-2 may be a bit overkill for you though (unless you have more than 100 Gigs of data)

Last edited by Manaray; 06-19-02 at 02:34 AM.
Old 06-19-02, 02:31 AM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Originally posted by manaray
Hehehe...are you kidding me?! I used to admin about 25 workstation grade Macs...to say the least, I barely worked. I was busier trying to help the PC IT guys fix their crap (which went down daily!)...I have two Macs at home and both have been up for over 3 months w/o a single power down or reboot or crash....my three PC's that I have going crash at least once a week...one of them, I narrowed it down to a stupid ATI card issue (Radeon 64 DDR and Windows XP Professional and XP Home just do NOT get along)..the other two, who knows...they crash at random and for no obvious reason...

At any rate, you still need to backup!! If you need some help with your Mac, let me know...Retrospect has worked best for me. That along with a AIT-2 tape system has yet to fail me...
I'm just buying more hard drives for redundancy. Let the G4 chug along..
Old 06-19-02, 02:52 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Well unless you plan on doing a RAID 3 or RAID 5 setup, you're still susceptible to non-recoverable drive failure...

At least with a RAID 3/5, it can withstand one drive dying...

Also, the nice thing about doing backups is that you can have some sort of chronological backup...what happens if you noticed that your data is now corrupt...with chronological backups, you can go back a few days (or even a few weeks to months depending on how much you want to save) and recover the drive before the corruption...

Anyways, just something to think about...I usually back up my important stuff to tape AND CD-R or CD-RW (depending on how often it's updated)....