Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Running different brand tires front to back?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 03:10 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Running different brand tires front to back?

So, I went in to replaced my front two tires because it was causing major steering wheel vibration. The tire shop only had the Dunlop SP Sport Signature in stock (which was kinda pricey). So I went ahead and got them replaced.

I will need to replace my rears soon because it's in bad shape as well. I need to save money and will look for a pair that is cheaper.

My question is will I be okay running Dunlop SP Sport Signature tires up front and General Exclaim UHP for rears or vice versa? All same size..225/45/17. I don't track or push my car too hard. I know most will say it's a bad idea but I want to hear from people who actually have done this.

The Dunlops are ultra high performance high season with 94w speed rating, tread wear is 420, traction is AA, and temp is A.

Generals are ultra high performance summer with 91w speed rating, tread wear is 380, traction is A, and temp is A.

Last edited by sway162; 05-13-10 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-13-10, 04:42 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've done it with no issues...its not a huge deal unless your pushing it to the extreme.
Old 05-13-10, 09:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

It's no problem at all. I've been running different tires in the front and I'm still here

Daily driving, you're not going to exceed either tire's limit.
Old 05-13-10, 09:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

been there, done that, no problem

like henry said unless you track your car and push it to the limit, otherwise you are fine
Old 05-13-10, 11:26 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yupe what they ^^^ said....

i have general exclaim in rear & yokohama advan in front, no problem whatsoever.
Old 05-14-10, 07:18 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Good to know! Thank you all for the replies, appreciated it!

Originally Posted by masboy
i have general exclaim in rear & yokohama advan in front, no problem whatsoever.
How do you like those Generals? I was surprised to see so many great reviews on such a low price tire.
Old 05-15-10, 12:13 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Negative ghostrider, not a good idea to mix tires unless you have to. In some cases, like when a tire has been discontinued, you may be forced to do it. If you do mix tires they should be the same type of tire with the same service description.
Old 05-15-10, 05:19 PM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please explain why not to mix tires. What negative effect will it have?
Old 05-15-10, 05:35 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

diff thread design, diff ratings.

i run 2 diff tire setups on my spare set..no problems.
Old 05-17-10, 05:20 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a couple of good articles to read about that...

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=DZ1&...jsp?techid=136

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=DZ1&....jsp?techid=52
Old 06-15-10, 11:42 PM
PandaBear
Driver

There is nothing wrong with mixing tires on different axles as long as they are the same type. If you mix summer, all season, and winter tires, you will have problem, but not if they are all the same type and close enough traction.

When you are driving the car the weight transfer between front/rear/left/right are more than enough to make the handling behavior different, and the car's suspension and traction design has already factor this in.

If you have better traction tires for the condition in the rear, you will not over steer and spun out of control (unless that's your intend). That's why many cars that are under powered come with staggered wheels (i.e. 350Z, IS250), not because the rear will be out of control from the torque, but because it wants to guarantee against a typical driver from over steer, something that they are not used to.
Old 06-17-10, 10:55 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by PandaBear
There is nothing wrong with mixing tires on different axles as long as they are the same type. If you mix summer, all season, and winter tires, you will have problem, but not if they are all the same type and close enough traction.

When you are driving the car the weight transfer between front/rear/left/right are more than enough to make the handling behavior different, and the car's suspension and traction design has already factor this in.

If you have better traction tires for the condition in the rear, you will not over steer and spun out of control (unless that's your intend). That's why many cars that are under powered come with staggered wheels (i.e. 350Z, IS250), not because the rear will be out of control from the torque, but because it wants to guarantee against a typical driver from over steer, something that they are not used to.
What if you have staggered tire sizes & you are driving in the rain? Wider tires hydroplane sooner especially if they are mounted on the light end of the car?
Old 06-23-10, 02:11 PM
PandaBear
Driver

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
What if you have staggered tire sizes & you are driving in the rain? Wider tires hydroplane sooner especially if they are mounted on the light end of the car?
The trend depth has more to do with wet traction than anything else if the tires are the same type. If all 4 of your tires are the same type with the same trend depth, and if your suspension setup is the same front and back (spring rate, sway bar thickness, etc), you will spun out of the rear. That's why suspensions with front heavier car will usually have firmer spring and sway bar on the front, and if you modified it, you are taking a chance of over steer.

So yeah, it is already factored into the equation.