Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

taking apart a 3pc wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-02, 01:59 AM
pot_head
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking apart a 3pc wheel.

i recently got my wheel fixed by a local wheel repair shop. i got the front left wheel fixed. but now when i turn right, my front left wheel area makes a 'creeking' sound, kinda like a old rocking chair that creeeeeeks. i think maybe when the wheel repair shop took my wheel apart, they didnt put the wheel together properly. is this possible? i mean, the wheel holds air fine. maybe they didnt tighten the bolts around the wheel properly. can i tighten the bolts around the wheel myself while the wheel is still on the car? thanks.
Old 06-12-02, 02:10 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did they reseal the two halves together with silicon? Could also be some of your suspension components...you might have to try to really narrow down exactly where the sound is coming from...
Old 06-12-02, 10:12 AM
pot_head
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

manaray,

what does the silicone do? does it prevent the air from leaking? if so, i would think they did that or else the air would've leaked out. if the silicone is there for another reason, pls tell me and i'll ask the wheel repair shop.

as for the suspension components, i know for a fact that its not the shock/springs. maybe it could be something else. cuz when i turn the wheel all the way to the right and i get out and push down on the front left corner of the car, i can hear no 'creeking' sounds. I think i gotta take it in to Lexus. Now theyre gonna give me a hard time for the aftermarket suspension
Old 06-13-02, 12:09 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, the silicon is there to seal the wheels but I've seen some jackassed siliconing jobs...hmmm, it's hard to say w/o hearing it and being able to hear it in person (to see where it's coming from...)