Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

HELP!!! Unbearable Squeking With New Aftermarket Wheels Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 11:38 PM
RoninAMG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP!!! Unbearable Squeking With New Aftermarket Wheels Installed

Wasn't quite sure where to post this but I figured in a General Discussion forum would perhaps be the best. So here is the short and skinny. I just installed a set of aftermarket wheels on my GS430 which came off my 2004 Acura TL. The measurements are identical. The problem now is that there is a really loud noise that seems to be coming from somewhere under the car. Until I have it on a rack with someone inside to duplicate rather minimal seat movement I won't be able to pinpoint it. If not paying extremely close attention you would think it was the actual seat squeking. But when you open the door you can hear that it's a much louder noise coming from underneath somewhere. When the vehicle is in steady motion, such as highway driving, there is no noise. Only at lower speeds and at movement which would rock the vehicle side to side such as moderate to agressive cornering. Most noticible just getting in and out of the car. This noise started just after I removed the old stock wheels and replaced them with these. Perhaps over the weekend I'll install the stock wheels again and see if the noise disappears which at that point will confirm that it is the aftermarket wheels. The GS is still under the manufacturers warranty which addresses these sorts of squeks and rattles so I'm taking it in next week. But in the meantime I wanted to run this by the fine folks here at ClubLexus and hear from others that perhaps have had this same issue and hear how it was addressed without the obvious solution of simply putting the stock wheels back on. Thanks...

First pic with aftermarket wheels in front and rear
Second pic stock wheels in rear, aftermarkets up front

Now you can see why going back to stock really isn't an option.
Attached Thumbnails HELP!!! Unbearable Squeking With New Aftermarket Wheels Installed-dscf0039.jpg   HELP!!! Unbearable Squeking With New Aftermarket Wheels Installed-dscf0037.jpg  
Old 04-09-10, 11:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

sounds weird. just to be sure, the front wheels completely clear the brakes?
Old 04-10-10, 07:46 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baffled but seems like something got knocked loose during install...

strut/spring issue??

Absolutely guessing here...
Old 04-10-10, 07:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RoninAMG
Perhaps over the weekend I'll install the stock wheels again and see if the noise disappears which at that point will confirm that it is the aftermarket wheels. The GS is still under the manufacturers warranty which addresses these sorts of squeks and rattles so I'm taking it in next week. But in the meantime I wanted to run this by the fine folks here at ClubLexus and hear from others that perhaps have had this same issue and hear how it was addressed without the obvious solution of simply putting the stock wheels back on. Thanks...
Putting the stock wheels back on may turn out to be the best way to go. Lexus may not honor the warranty if they determine that the noises were caused by non-factory wheels.

This is not unusual. I see numerous complaints from people, both on and off CL, who don't stick with factory wheels.
Old 04-10-10, 08:10 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the 3rd gen GS hub centric?
Old 04-10-10, 08:17 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Maybe its something with the strut/springs?
Old 04-10-10, 08:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

is it me or do the offsets look incorrect, do you see any abrasion marks anywhere on the wheel or the surrounding areas?
Old 04-10-10, 08:46 AM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Check if the wheels hub bore fit the Lexus hubs. Many times with aftermarket wheels you need hub centric rings to make them center correctly. If all that checks out, make sure you are running the correct lug nuts with them. Many times OEM lugs will not work with aftermarket wheels. Good luck.
Old 04-10-10, 09:20 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How worn were the brakes on the Acura v. the GS430? Cliff Notes of the same thing that happened with my Dakota:

- Bought aftermarket wheels for the Dakota last summer. Everything OK.

- Put original wheels and winter tires on the truck in the fall. Everything OK.

- Son-in-law put new front brake pads and rotors on the truck last month. Everything OK.

- This month, SIL swapped the winter wheels and tires for the aftermarket summer wheels and tires. Anti-rattle clips on the brakes are scraping the wheels. WTF?

- SIL is re-working the anti-rattle clips. If it doesn't work, we'll leave them off until the brakes wear down a bit.
Old 04-10-10, 10:49 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dirrerent hub sizes on the Acura Vs the Gs,,

Acura hub bore = 64.1 mm
Lexus Gs hub bore = 60.1 mm

Sounds like youhave 2 problems going on,,
1. you will need hubcentric rings in order for the wheels to fit correctly.
2. Offsets on the wheels, as someone else stated, seems a bit off.

You most likely have a rubbing problem with the wheels hitting the brake caliper, not by much, but is hitting. Take the wheel off and look for rubbing anywhere on the spokes of the wheels themselves as well as on the brake calipers. For now, until you get these things solved, go back to stock.
Old 04-10-10, 02:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Is there any grinding associated with the noise?? Any smells like buring plastic etc??
Old 04-10-10, 07:47 PM
RoninAMG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
sounds weird. just to be sure, the front wheels completely clear the brakes?
Yup. Wheels don't seem to be rubbing against anything.
Old 04-11-10, 12:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by RoninAMG
Yup. Wheels don't seem to be rubbing against anything.
well does the squeaking sound change its tone with speed? only when rolling? is it "constant" or "periodical"?

how about jacking up the car and spin each wheel independently and see if you hear anything?
Old 04-12-10, 06:07 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

put the stock wheels back on and see if the noise is still there [they look better to me anyway]
Old 04-12-10, 10:19 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Is it possible that you're just hearing your suspension (bushings) working harder as a result of the much stiffer lower profile tire and wheel combo you have now??

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Unbearable Squeking With New Aftermarket Wheels Installed