Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Any experience with Nitto, Pirelli, or Yoko tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-02, 11:37 AM
drurywoodson
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Any experience with Nitto, Pirelli, or Yoko tires?

I've settled on the rims I want for my Rx300 (Centerline 2pc 18x8 w/5" backspacing), and I know I want 255/55/18 performance tires, so now all I have left to choose is the brand. Does anyone have any experience with any of the following? The two aspects I am most interested in are performance and noise. The Nitto is intriguing to me because thre treadwear rating is 40% higher than the Pirelli & Bridgestone.

Pirelli Scorpion Zero
Bridgestone Dueler H/P
Yokohama AV S/T
Nitto NT-404
Old 04-27-02, 12:59 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Any experience with Nitto, Pirelli, or Yoko tires?

Originally posted by drurywoodson
Does anyone have any experience with any of the following? The two aspects I am most interested in are performance and noise.

Pirelli Scorpion Zero
Bridgestone Dueler H/P
Yokohama AV S/T
Nitto NT-404
I have used both the Pirelli and the Yokohama on my Ford Lightning.

Regarding the noise, the Lightning is a pickup with all the usual shakes and rattles, and I had a custom flowmaster exhaust and a decent aftermarket audio setup. So I don't have too much comment on the noise other than the the new Pirelli's were quiter than the old Yokohama's.

I had the Yokohama's first: Loved them new! They do have a funny looking sidewall. Real sticky, cornered well, solid sidewalls that kept the truck cornering flat. But as they wore they lost a lot of stick and my impression was an overall loss of performance. Had them for about 30K.

I decided to go with the Pirelli's next: Different beast altogether. Sidewalls were a little softer which led to a bit more body roll and a smoother ride. They probably mated to the trucks suspension better [keeping the tires on the ground] and my overall impression was better handling & better grip. I had them for 10K before I sold the truck so I can't tell you how well they would handle/wear over time.

If I had to do it again I would go with the Pirelli's because I just did not like how the Yokohama's behavior changed as the tires wore.
Old 04-28-02, 06:36 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pirelli

I have not used the Scorpion Zero's, but I can vouch for the Scorpion 1, the Scorpion S/T and the Scorpion A/T (all-terrain). Had them all and liked the ride with them...the Scorpion Zero's are a performance tire...don't know what you'd lose in the snow or rain, but I love Pirelli.

Back when the Ford Explorer tires were a big issue a litlle known fact was that Pirelli was the ONLY manufacturer in the type/size tires for the SUV's that was wrapping the steel belts with nylon to protect the tire from such an incident that Firestone and Good year were not. Pirelli tires are original equipment on the most EXOTIC cars on the road today...they must be doing something right. On my GS I have Pirelli P7000 Supersports, on my Expedition I will probably be getting the Scorpion Zero's if I decide to get a set of dubs, otherwise I'll get the Scorpion 1 (the A/T's are a little chunky...therefore noisy.
Old 04-28-02, 03:56 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perrili = good

s0-2 = decent over all

nitto = decent over all

yoko = havent tried