Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Driving Impressions: Dunlop SP Sport 5000, Hunter 9700 Balancing, Johnson's Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-02, 02:05 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driving Impressions: Dunlop SP Sport 5000, Hunter 9700 Balancing, Johnson's Alignment

First, thanks to people who responded when I was looking to replace my tires, looking to find a good installer/balancer, and looking to find a good alignment shop.

I will compare the SP with the Yokohama AVS-dB. Keep in mind that the SPs were in the size 235/45-17 while the AVS-dB was in 225/60-16 as mounted on my previous LS400. I cannot compare it with the 17s that I replaced since the brand was unknown, it's HR-rated and it made a terrible noise.

I paid $128 per piece from Tirerack and $550 delivered. I had it installed at Tucker Tire in Covina using the Hunter 9700 to balance all fours. Done in 30 minutes- no problem with balancing. That's $60. Very smooth, no vibration at any speeds, just wonderful.

Then, off I went to Johnson's Alignment in Torrance for a $100 4-wheel alignment. Luis spent approximately 2 hours aligning the wheels. They don't use computerized aligning equipment but different objects, slide rules (I don't know what's called), etc. I remember reading before the alignment section in a Toyota Factory Repair Manual and that's how they do it. Luis found out-of-specs reading and promised that I will never get an inside wear on the front tires like what happened before. Like some people here said, these guys eat and breath alignment. After test driving, my steering wheel was slightly off-centered (1/3 inch to the left). Luis got under the car and fixed it in 7 minutes flat. Steve is the manager and races Porches. You need appointments to get your car done and they honor it (unlike doctors offices).

Driving impression: The SP is as quiet as the AVS-dB and this is no exageration. On a smooth highway, the GS rides quite like the LS in terms of smoothness and lack of noise. You will only remember that you are in the GS when you hit bumps and the car responds to them while the LS ignores them. The sidewalls are a bit soft but I can live with it.
You especially notice the flexing of the sidewalls if you try to snap the steering wheel in one direction at 55mph and you can feel the car seems to be on unstable ground - much like when you have an underinflated tires. On emergency lane change which actually happened while avoiding an executive chair hurling towards you at 80mph on the carpool lane, the grip was fantastic. This is an all-season tire but I'm very happy with the way the tires responded in that one event. The car stayed planted nary a complaining noise from the tires. I love it.

We'll see how more miles will wear out these tires and change its characteristics. I remember that my AVS-dB after 7000 miles started to feather on the outside edge and gave off an unmistakable tire noise. Rotating helped somewhat with the noise a little bit muffled but still there. If you check the recent reviews in Tirerack about the AVS-dB, it's happening to quite a few people. So far, it has not happened yet to people who have driven on the SP. We'll see. I remember someone from the LS forum, I think Steve was his name, that he was on his 2nd set of SP and will go for the 3rd set.

Those are my impressions and hopefully will help others here. This is the tire to get if you want smooth riding, luxurious, quiet tires. Just like any all season tires, I don't think that these SPs will have a chance against summer tires - based on tests done at Tirerack. But it's one of the best ultra high performance all season tire you can get.

(Dunlop: send me my check for endorsing your product!)
Old 04-18-02, 07:47 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey whitels - Glad you are so happy with the Dunlops. Might be a viable alternative to the db's. Don't be surprised if the handling improves as they wear. All that tread squiriming on new tires makes for somewhat "imprecise" handling. Try to autocross with as little tread as possible left. Maybe things will just get better in that department as they wear in.
Old 04-18-02, 11:03 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whitels-thanks for the review...so $60 for mount and balance correct at Tucker tyre? they are 12 minutes from my place, i will use their service next time...
Old 04-19-02, 06:50 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

whitels, thanks for the review. Glad the SP5000s aren't the noise generators the SP8000s are.

Oh, I might mention that I am on time for all the appointments in my office until a) someone HAS to be seen, for either real or self-perceived medical reasons, b) emergency in the office (I don't think you'd want me to skate out of the room to the next patient right after I put the oxygen on you and gave you some sublingual nitroglycerin, c) the patient says "while I've got you here......." (and it's the fourth patient in a row to pop that line), d) the mom says "oh and can you just look in junior's ears; I know he's not your patient but.........". Most of those things happen (full blown emergencies excepted) multiple times a day, each and every day. I suppose I could put some patients off, but I prefer to see my people when they want to be seen. That means some days, in some ways, EVERYONE isn't going to be seen on time.

Sorry if it seems like a sore spot, but one can't compare a sick car to a sick person.
Old 04-19-02, 09:38 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gs4will
Whitels-thanks for the review...so $60 for mount and balance correct at Tucker tyre? they are 12 minutes from my place, i will use their service next time...
$60. Call first to make sure that they are not busy just before you go.
Old 04-19-02, 09:43 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mooretorque
whitels, thanks for the review. Glad the SP5000s aren't the noise generators the SP8000s are.

Oh, I might mention that I am on time for all the appointments in my office until a) someone HAS to be seen, for either real or self-perceived medical reasons, b) emergency in the office (I don't think you'd want me to skate out of the room to the next patient right after I put the oxygen on you and gave you some sublingual nitroglycerin, c) the patient says "while I've got you here......." (and it's the fourth patient in a row to pop that line), d) the mom says "oh and can you just look in junior's ears; I know he's not your patient but.........". Most of those things happen (full blown emergencies excepted) multiple times a day, each and every day. I suppose I could put some patients off, but I prefer to see my people when they want to be seen. That means some days, in some ways, EVERYONE isn't going to be seen on time.

Sorry if it seems like a sore spot, but one can't compare a sick car to a sick person.
Sorry mooretorque but it wasn't intended to offend but was meant just for humour. Apologize sincerely and I should have been more sensitive to the folks posting here. I understand how busy you guys are. However, here in California, since the HMOs have been trying to cut down on doctors' services in favor of nurse practitioners, and if you still insist to wait for a real doctor, you would have to wait a while. This is true, its a fact, and I won't apologize anymore if somebody here gets hurt.
Old 04-19-02, 10:57 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

No offense taken, and I should have noted your place of origin. HMOs have had far less penetration here. Moot point, since we (physicians) hate 'em all. But you guys in CA are really getting the dirty end of the stick (both the docs and the patients). The only ones even marginally happy with the system are the insurance companies.

And again, thanks for the well-written and thorough review!