Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Best Wheel Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-02, 02:54 PM
daygo718
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Wheel Cleaner?

Hey everyone,

What is your opinion on the best wheel cleaner for high polished wheels? What is the best in bringing out that "better than chrome" shine? Also, please talk about ease of use...how easy/difficult is it to apply/take off.

A couple years ago I had a set of wheels with high polished lips and I used a product called extreme. It was this pink material (looked like cotton candy) that you had to rub into the wheel until it turned black, then you had buff it out to bring out the shine. This stuff worked great, but it was a b*!ch to use!
Old 04-09-02, 04:53 PM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Default Re: Best Wheel Cleaner?

Originally posted by daygo718
Hey everyone,

What is your opinion on the best wheel cleaner for high polished wheels? What is the best in bringing out that "better than chrome" shine? Also, please talk about ease of use...how easy/difficult is it to apply/take off.

A couple years ago I had a set of wheels with high polished lips and I used a product called extreme. It was this pink material (looked like cotton candy) that you had to rub into the wheel until it turned black, then you had buff it out to bring out the shine. This stuff worked great, but it was a b*!ch to use!
For a polished finish, be sure to clean the wheels off very well with light to medium pressure water. You don't want to start rubbing a wheel that has dirt on it, especially with a polished finish!

I personally use glass cleaner. Not the NH4 (I can't spell it... amonia, lol, not even close) cleaner, like 409, but the spray foam type. Works very very well with that and a micro fiber cloth.

For polishing, use the Mothers Polish. Very good, cheap, and easy to find. Rub on until the black residue forms and wipe away.

The above are reasons for a chrome finish.. you could clean it with anything short of a sandblaster and have it look great.
Old 04-09-02, 05:41 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

I use Z3/Z5/Z6 on it, figure what the hell...., very easy to put on and take off, definitely on the lazy side of things. Result is pretty good also.
Old 04-10-02, 02:15 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your wheel has a clear coat finish it, don't use ANY sort of metal polish...on my wheels (which has clear coat all over), I just used soap and water...nothing fancy needed...

For chrome, there's nothing better than Mother's...
Old 04-10-02, 10:41 AM
Wheel Kinetics
Pole Position

Originally posted by manaray
If your wheel has a clear coat finish it, don't use ANY sort of metal polish...on my wheels (which has clear coat all over), I just used soap and water...nothing fancy needed...
This is a very good point!
Old 04-10-02, 03:28 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about meguiar's??? do they make anything worth while???

drew
Old 04-10-02, 05:22 PM
LexFather

Look for the ingredients on the wheel cleaners. i use that Forumua 2000 cause it has NO ACIDS!!!

Acids can dull your expensive ***** up!:eek: