Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Fender Roller in Los Angeles???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-02, 02:43 PM
enginyr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Roller in Los Angeles???

dubz rub, anyone?
Old 04-01-02, 04:04 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Im not sure about a shop with a fender rolling tool, cause I dont live in Cali.... But, IMO, rolling the Lex fender may not be as good as shaving the 5-6mm right up to the edge of the screws that hold the plastic strip against the fender lip. The plastic fender lip guard and the screws that hold it on remain just as they are stock. Its soooo easy. I JUST had this mod done and we did not even have to remove the plastic strip to grind it down.... It took a ttl of less than 90min to complete the process and seal the raw edge with black silicone. I am using a 285/30/19 and it doesnt rub at all anymore. It was catching maybe 1-2 mm's of the fender edge, so I wanted to take off 5-6mm(to the edge of the screw) to ensure I would never have to worry about rubbing in any driving situatuation. Cosmetically there is no change whatsoever. My friend (the owner) at Pro-Tec performance body shop here in Austin didnt even charge me...SWEET!
Oh yeah, we used an air-tool with a 3M disposable grinding wheel attached. Went through the fender like butter...
Enginyr? Are you rubbing front/rear or both? You went with 9" up front right? Saw the Low's.....AWESOME!!!
Old 04-01-02, 04:12 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by tinygs
Im not sure about a shop with a fender rolling tool, cause I dont live in Cali.... But, IMO, rolling the Lex fender may not be as good as shaving the 5-6mm right up to the edge of the screws that hold the plastic strip against the fender lip. The plastic fender lip guard and the screws that hold it on remain just as they are stock. Its soooo easy. I JUST had this mod done and we did not even have to remove the plastic strip to grind it down.... It took a ttl of less than 90min to complete the process and seal the raw edge with black silicone. I am using a 285/30/19 and it doesnt rub at all anymore. It was catching maybe 1-2 mm's of the fender edge, so I wanted to take off 5-6mm(to the edge of the screw) to ensure I would never have to worry about rubbing in any driving situatuation. Cosmetically there is no change whatsoever. My friend (the owner) at Pro-Tec performance body shop here in Austin didnt even charge me...SWEET!
Oh yeah, we used an air-tool with a 3M disposable grinding wheel attached. Went through the fender like butter...
Enginyr? Are you rubbing front/rear or both? You went with 9" up front right? Saw the Low's.....AWESOME!!!
Thanks tiny...yes im rolling 245/35/20 x 9 all around...I NEED SOME ONE TO DO THIS FOR ME AHHHHHH
Old 04-01-02, 04:34 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

20x9 rub? that's a surprise. most ppl do fine even with 9.5 tho.
Old 04-01-02, 04:41 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gsintensive
20x9 rub? that's a surprise. most ppl do fine even with 9.5 tho.
Right....Enginyr? Is the rubbing in the front??? Rear should be ok, unless you have a massive offset....
Old 04-01-02, 04:46 PM
enginyr
Banned

Not me I'm dangerously rubb'n. Will it say the offset on the inside of my rim??
Old 04-01-02, 04:49 PM
enginyr
Banned

Rubbing is mainly on the left front tire.....a little on the right...makes a big rubbing noise on big dips and when the tire is turned all the way, backing up.
Old 04-01-02, 05:25 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve: try D2 in Alhambra- speak with David. They do this stuff all the time.
(626) 282-2727

Or, Sprewell Racing in San Gabriel- Cecil is the guy there
(626) 309-1771

Both of these guys work on high-digit cars, and are very competent.

On the GS, I'd probably cut the suckers- Rolling is very difficult due to the tack welds.
Old 04-01-02, 11:09 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, both shops do good work....

SoCal - What do you think about shaving some of the pad off the front wheels to make them a +40 or so?
Old 04-02-02, 09:01 AM
enginyr
Banned

just found where most of the rubbing is....directly above the tire there is a but joint where two pannels meet and spot welded.....Its alread broken thru the plastic . That lip needs to be cut, grinded, bent or whatever. I stopped by F1 motorsport (they said all this rubbing is normal. I'm like, WHAT! I called D2 and he they seemed more competent as to handle the job.

As for maching the face..( I thought about it) but I think its the top of the wheel well making all this noise. Mike you know a place that will machine the face?
Old 04-02-02, 09:50 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

By face, do you mean the backpad of the wheel? I'd probably got the 'modify the car to fit the wheel' route, but if you want to machine the backpad, you can safely remove up to 3mm (about 1/8")- this will move the wheel inboard the same amount.

Try Steve Russell at Russell Machine Co.
18320 South Western Ave
Gardena, CA 90247
(310) 532-5520
Old 04-02-02, 02:38 PM
enginyr
Banned

Good news! Just dropped by F1 motor sports....Woooo hooo
They work magic over there....rolled my fenders, trimmed the plastic and intstalled hubcentric rings for $150. I tipped the mexican guy $20 because of the excellent work.

Duba Dub Rub....no moe!

Thanks!!!!!
Old 04-02-02, 07:07 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

They said fender rubbing is "normal"? It's only normal if you buy the wrong offset/width...

The "mexican" guy used to work at Sprewell...he's good...

Well at least your rubbing problem is over...
Old 04-03-02, 12:44 AM
enginyr
Banned

20 x 9 with a 38 offset on a 245/35/20 is not the wrong offset MR.

Wei is running the same setup with a 35 offset! and he said not one rub. Maybe the S0-3 have a bigger radius than the pirrelis???
Old 04-04-02, 01:52 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Well considering I run a 20x8.5" with a +38, I DO think it's WRONG. It's obviously wrong because you're rubbing and I'm not (and we're running the same size tires)...

Unless your car is bent?

I don't know what Wei's running but I can't imagine that he didn't do any fender mods with that setup...unless he's running a way undersized tire (meaning in profile, not actuall mm size...)

I know I can run a S-03 w/o rubs...

Quick Reply: Fender Roller in Los Angeles???