Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Wheel Alignment

Old 06-04-09, 03:09 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Wheel Alignment

Hello,

Today I got my wheel aligment done so here are the specs below. Was wondering is this concider a good job or was it ok because I came in with the wheel pulling to the left now it is a bit to the right. Any feedback and help is welcome. Thanks

Old 06-04-09, 08:35 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

it's no freaking wonder it pullls...

look at cross caster... that tech should be shot for that... it was better before he messed with it... there is no good explanation for that! period, the end... and also, the camber AND TOE on the right rear... out of spec for sure...

did they at least try to give you an excuse?

Potential excuses are:
1) something is bent (a good tech will be able to look at parts and determine what is bent most of the time)
2) an adjuster is frozen (not uncommon, which one though)
3) bushings are worn out (why the hell would the tech still align a car with worn out bushings?)
4) frame damage (again, why would a tech align a car with frame damage without at least recommending a frame shop to start)

What kind of car is this? From the numbers, it looks like a GS???

If he would have at least measured SAI and IA, we at least could have theorized if something was bent on the front...

Take it back and ask for an explanation of why everything is so far out of spec and why you weren't told about it during the alignment (or at the very least, after, but before you drove off) Just so you know, the one number there that has ZERO reason for being out of spec (short of something being bent bad) is the rear toe... it's a simple adjustment, unless something is badly bent...
Old 06-05-09, 12:31 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I will have it checked out again. Question before I go out there can you or anyone explain to me a few thing about this chart?

The result sheet has "specified range" does this mean that my car alignment shoul fall into this spec numbers? For example the "right front" where the specified range "caster" is 7.1 and 8.1 As my "before" meaning before the alignment it was 7.2 and "actual" after the fix it is 7.9?

So what should be a good alignment where my "actual" shoul fall between 7.1 to 8.1? Can you help point out what are out of spect like the "Right front" "Left front" ect.... thanks!
Old 06-05-09, 02:01 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

at the very least, all the numbers should be within the specified range... that doesn't guarantee a good alignment, but at this point, it'd be a starting point... A good alignment would be to have all the numbers as close as possible to the middle of the specified ranges...

Also, it takes them 20 seconds to measure SAI and IA - you might mention you'd like to see those numbers to make sure nothing is bent on the front end...
Old 06-05-09, 10:16 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

at least that dude didnt put -4 camber on your rear right tire like the dude that did mine.. time to get another alignment!
hehe