Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Why all the hate on Chrome??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-09, 08:48 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Why all the hate on Chrome??

Hey guys, just wondering why over the last few years is everyone hating on chrome wheels. Its not just on this forum, it seems to be on most car forums now. Is it just that you guys feel its played out now? I have always had chrome rims on all my cars and when they are clean, I think it looks amazing, really stands out. I was just wondering....
Old 05-26-09, 09:13 AM
LexFather

Well it depends. Chrome was cool in the tuner scene in the 1990s and then it went to forged wheels. Now you see the time attacks are(were) in, color coded wheels, lips, etc.

Chrome is still cool with the Dub and "Bling" crowd, who won't rock anything but big chrome wheels. Think CarDomain.com

It also depends on the brand. Chrome wheels on German cars are usually frowned upon, they seem to look better on Japanese luxury cars and in some cases match very well.

Personally I've had chrome OEM and aftermarket wheels. I had chrome back in 1996 Back then you had to have chrome!! Today, I prefer a less flashy and lighter wheel. I think chrome looks good still when done right and on the right vehicle.

You got to rock what you like, hell you are paying for it.
Old 05-26-09, 09:17 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedozz
Hey guys, just wondering why over the last few years is everyone hating on chrome wheels. Its not just on this forum, it seems to be on most car forums now. Is it just that you guys feel its played out now? I have always had chrome rims on all my cars and when they are clean, I think it looks amazing, really stands out. I was just wondering....
yeah, i think it's played out and getting old. when chrome first came out, it was like wow look at that! but now even oem wheels come in chrome and you see them almost everywhere. so it gets to the point where chrome is no longer special.

as for me, i've never been a great fan of chrome wheels. as i said before in a previous post elsewhere, i feel that chrome has that "come look at me! i got chrome shoes!" i guess i like the subtle look, and not over the top eye catcher look. only a very few select wheels would i get chrome, otherwise i would get polished or silver. but that's my personal opinion on chrome.

having said that, it's definitely OK if you like chrome wheels. after all, it's your enjoyment that counts.
Old 05-26-09, 09:27 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Good Job Stormforge and 1sicklex, u both make valid points respectfully.
Old 05-26-09, 09:50 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

chrome is great especially night when it shines under the light its like diamond on your car..but its all about color matchin right now almost like chrome played out..if you like the chrome just add some color insert make it custom so you still have chrome and paint to match the car.. leave the lip chrome as well..
Old 05-27-09, 09:28 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
as for me, i've never been a great fan of chrome wheels. as i said before in a previous post elsewhere, i feel that chrome has that "come look at me! i got chrome shoes!" i guess i like the subtle look, and not over the top eye catcher look. only a very few select wheels would i get chrome, otherwise i would get polished or silver. but that's my personal opinion on chrome.

having said that, it's definitely OK if you like chrome wheels. after all, it's your enjoyment that counts.
I'd have to agree. There are a limited number of wheels that I like in chrome, and even fewer cars that I think make them look tasteful. Otherwise, its visually loud and detracts from the look of the vehicle, where I believe a nice wheel should accent it.

As stated, though, you're going to have people who both like and dislike whatever you do to your car. If you smile every time you see it, then its all that matters (within reason).
Old 05-29-09, 12:53 PM
psychosane
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think chrome wheels go better with bigger cars. i also find them tacky.
Old 05-29-09, 01:38 PM
Triple C
Lead Lap

I think Just about all upgraded wheels earn some respect. To each his own.
I ave Chrome and Am Planning on getting something else maybe blacked out even. It is whatever you preffer i guess. I like both it just depends on the quality of platform you put them on.
Old 06-10-09, 06:14 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like chrome on SUV's.
Old 06-11-09, 09:34 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i wish my wheels were chrome... OE chrome... someone just HAD to strip the chrome off n have it polished.. what a PITA to clean now =/
Old 07-17-19, 05:05 AM
GradeA
Driver School Candidate

Default Nice car buddy

Heres mines on 24 inch choppers
Old 07-17-19, 05:25 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Welcome GradeA. That's a lot of chrome for sure!

Not my personal taste but I'd certainly turn my head to look at it rolling down the street

Suggest you search up some threads on headlight polishing; will make your car look a lot newer.
The following users liked this post:
GradeA (12-12-19)