Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

For The Record!!!! Help>>

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-02, 05:56 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For The Record!!!! Help>>

For anyone who has any apprehension or questions about whether or not the following set-up will rub.....

Using Eibach springs and L-tuned shocks, 19x10" +41 w/285/30/19 WILL RUB!

Although ever so slightly, over road humps and heavier cornering the tire WILL contact a 2-3mm wide(less than 1/5 of the whole fender lip width), 4-5 inch long section of the REAR fender lip.
Im posting this because I need CL HELP FAST!
Im surfing through all of the old threads that I can find on this topic, and there are alot of mixed opinions and conflicting info.
Manaray, Dennis, Banana(cause I know you self rolled your lips), GS4Will, SoCal, Globe, Wei, and ANYONE else with "real" experience with fender mod, please lend a hand?!?!?!?!?!
I have talked to my personal friends that have a body shop specializing in show cars. They have done extensive body work/mods on any car I can think of. He immediately identified that the body lines surrounding the GS wheel wells do not lend themselves to an easy 1-2-3 fender lip roll using a fender lip roller. Apparently the outer fenders on about 1 out of every 10 cars doesnt respond well to the "roll". It can damage the quarter panel. He said that depending on the lip itself, he can machine grind it, VERY SLOWLY and carefully under my close watch...heehee. It would mean removing the small plastic strip that lines the fender lip, thus exposing the tack points that are visible from the factory. He explained that these points signify where the outer body panel is fastened to the inner fender well. He showed me what they look like on another car. These tack points are usually right in the middle of the fender lip, leaving about 5-6 mm on either side. The inner 5-6 mm can be safely ground off, coming to within about 1mm of the tack point. He said that is why he feels just cutting the lip without factoring this in is ghetto.
The raw edge would then be treated so as not to corrode or rust the at a later date. He told me that under no circumstances are the lips to be a ground beyond these tack points. The fender lip looks to be right at 1/2 inch, which means that this should work perfectly. His suggestion was that we would then replace the plastic strip lining the fender with brand new strips from Lexus,(once you remove it, its usually toast) but that we would cut it precisely to match the ground fender lip width.......
Please give me input on this process and on using a fender rolling tool. Which is the SAFER route. I feel that this is a much better solution money wise than pulling my 285's, selling them as used after 20 miles of use for a huge loss, and then re-investing in new 275's.....That also means watching three grown men with about 25 years of wheel/tire experience use everything that they had just to get the bead on the 285 S0-3 over the edge of the wheel lip..... 2 days befor me, a buddy of mine had Michelin Pilots mounted on Blitz Z1's and they said the bead stretched soooo much easier than the Potenza....I think he had 275/35, and I have 285/30. Does 5% sidewall with a 10mm wider tire make the sidewall that much stiffer?????????? The 2 sidewalls measure about the same.... And oh yeah, my wheels turned out PERFECT, no lip scratches whatsoever.. I was never more than 2 feet from the mounting machine at ANY time....hahahaha
They also wrapped the mounting clamps with about 10 towels on each one. Thats another good thing about reverse lip wheels, they should always turn the good side face down during the tire mount. Is this the case with standard lip????
Sorry soooo long winded.... IM VERY EXCITED....

Here are a couple of good CL threads I found concerning this topic:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=33451
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=roll+fender

Last edited by tinygs; 03-25-02 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-22-02, 03:29 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While selling your 285's at a lost maybe costly, but the "other" option is PERMANENT modifcation to the BODY of your car. You have to determine which is better for you...

If it were me, I'd would have ordered a 9.5" wheel and 275's in the first place... Seriously, I'd do the tire swap instead. I'd rather have slanted sidewalls than unkosher mods to my quarter panel fenders...but that's just me...

19" huh? So what wheel did you go with? Man, you're killin' me here! Just tell me the damn name of the wheel!

--------------------- <---The Bottom Line

20x8.5 +38 on 245/35-20
20x9.5 +37 on 275/30-20

Vertically flat sidewalls, all the way to the edge, no fender mods needed, tucks front and rear, no rubbing. PERIOD. I don't understand why people fight it...
Old 03-22-02, 04:53 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Couple members have already done their fender roll smoothly. I don't think it should' be of any problem at all. While Manaray provides a decent/conservative solution, I would rather have that fender rolled than to shorten my lips. I thought SO3 doesn't offer 285 rubber. Just try some more reputable shops and have your fender rolled. Daym i would've gone for 285 SO3 and have my fender rolled to have that perfect rear aggressiveness to go with kit.

Manaray's setup is more performance wise, with 8.5 on front your car can turn better/quicker. It is always trade off~ Manaray I thought you have 20x9 and 20x10??

Currently I have "20" x9 and 20x10 with 275 tires. no rubbing. if the fender happens to be too much troubles, just get 275 SO3, no complain here.
Old 03-22-02, 05:24 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Thanks guys...

Cool. Thanks to both of you. I did call tire rack to see what the offset is on the 10" SSR GT3 that they sell. It is also a +41 and is the only offset available for the 10" GT3. They have tested a GS that uses Eibachs and has no rubbing with a 275mm tire, so the tire width is definitely the issue. Wei, is your 20x10" Work wheel a +41??
Manaray? With a +41 10" wheel and 285 tire I am exactly 7mm closer to the outside fender than the set-up you described above.
How much space do your 20's have to the lip edge??
Also, can you give some input on rolling the lips?? Thanks, Tiny
Old 03-24-02, 04:07 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Default For the record...

I agree with Manaray...what are these mystery wheels.

Even better...how bout some pics?!?!?!

Glad you like them.

What size/offset did you get for the front? Do you have a brake upgrade?

Ryan

Hey Manaray...do you have any pics that show how your rim/tire combo fits with the fenders?

Last edited by AgGS400; 03-24-02 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-25-02, 02:02 PM
Wheels Boutique
Former sponsor

I had the same problem with the potenza's I had 285/30/20 AVS Sport and NEVER rubbed I put 285/30/20 Potenza and the car rubbed it seems the potenzas are "chunkier".I was gonna roll the fenders but my mechanic told me that lexus develop crinks in the quarter panel when you roll them so I had them Shave down like you said about 1/2 the distance and still kept the little black moulding to maintain it looking factory and no problems now.
ohh ya he also sprayed the exposed metal with flat black spray paint to seal it from rust....
Old 03-25-02, 04:27 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LEXTACY44
I had the same problem with the potenza's I had 285/30/20 AVS Sport and NEVER rubbed I put 285/30/20 Potenza and the car rubbed it seems the potenzas are "chunkier".I was gonna roll the fenders but my mechanic told me that lexus develop crinks in the quarter panel when you roll them so I had them Shave down like you said about 1/2 the distance and still kept the little black moulding to maintain it looking factory and no problems now.
ohh ya he also sprayed the exposed metal with flat black spray paint to seal it from rust....
What a relief man!!..... L44, I guess you should ignore the other post in the GS400 forum then. I was asking you about this exact thing. I would really like to know what width and offset you are using on your REAR HRE20's though???? Thanks again, Tiny
Old 03-25-02, 07:21 PM
01VaporBlueRX
Pole Position

If manaray doesnt mind me posting a pic of his wheels that i took at the meet i'll be glad to post it.
Old 03-26-02, 04:05 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Vapor - No problem, go ahead...I also have photos in the photo Gallery...

Lexstacy44 - you have 285's on your 20's and you don't rub? What's your offsets? I was just at HRE this weekend and I spoke with them about doing a 10" 285 setup and they confirmed it would rub w/o fender mods. Hmmm, maybe the AVS Sport has a "275-ish" profile (like the Dunlop LeMans)...if the AVS Sports fit, that'll be great for Tiny...but you'll have to stick with only that brand (which kinda sucks...)

Tiny - Here's a picture of my rear wheel...as you can see, I'm right at the edge...
Attached Thumbnails For The Record!!!! Help&gt;&gt;-rear-wheel-2.jpg  
Old 03-26-02, 08:18 AM
Wheels Boutique
Former sponsor

Manaray, Ya I do have the 20x10 with a 285/30/20 and it DIDNT rub with the yoko which were like you said 275ish in a sense but after the potenzas it did so i shaved the fenders in the rear as far as my offset i dont remember i will look for my order tonite and post what i have......
Old 03-26-02, 12:48 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all of the input and pics!!!! I really appreciate all of the help. All things considered, I am more than likely going to be modding the fenders in the next couple of days, but maintaining the plastic lip liner for a factory lok. Thanks, Tiny
Old 03-26-02, 02:43 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Angry Thanks

Thanks for the input Tiny.

I posted here about your new rims and a pm with no reply.

Do you not want anyone else to get the Zauber Gettins or what.
Old 03-26-02, 04:53 PM
01VaporBlueRX
Pole Position

here it is:
Old 03-26-02, 06:29 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

We had a similar issue on our VP's 97 ES300 with H&R springs- 18x8.5 +35 with 225/40zr18 rubbed the rear fender lip when the rear suspension was compressed over big dips & bumps. On the ES, if you move an 18x8.5 inboard more than to +37, the tire will contact the rear strut tube...

At first, he insisted on keeping the dumb black rear arch mouldngs on, so I trimmed about 4mm off of the fender lip itself (air saw) after carefully removing the black fender trim (it's held on with three screws on the ES). I then ground the black trim down on the bench grinder, and reinstalled it with the OE screws.

This definitely helped, but the tires would still rub on big bumps (on occassion) with a passenger in the rear- they were rubbing on the darned screw heads! I removed the offending screws & trim entirely, and guess what: no more rubbing!

On the GS, I'd be inclined to do some minor trimming of the fender lip, and just ditch the black fender arch trim- I doubt anyone will even notice. Of course, as mentioned, be sure to touch-up the raw metal in the trimmed areas...

BTW, have you tried just removing the fender arch trim? I've noticed on most Lexuses (Lexi?) that this sticks even further into the wheelwell than the metal fender-arch itself does- if the tires don't rub much, this alone may solve the problem.

I'm interested to see what my brother's 19x10 +37 448Rs look like on the rear of his '94 GS3- I tested a 19x10 +40 with 275/30zr19, and they fit easily...
Old 03-26-02, 11:04 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Bob, is that you?

Quick Reply: For The Record!!!! Help>>