Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

GS tire survey

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-02, 07:47 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GS tire survey

I want to see how many miles people got out of there oem tires. Cause i expected to get more than what i got from mine .

Please list tire brand , size and how many miles before you had to replace .

I'll start off with myself .

Bridgestone Turanza , size 16 " , 30,000 miles.

Thanks to all that participate !
Old 03-20-02, 01:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

30,000 on 16's? Depends how you drive of course. You wouldn't get that out of the Potenza 17s unless it was all smooth highway.

My guess is I would have got 20K out of my Potenzas (I sold them and the rims before they were done though).
Old 03-20-02, 11:38 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Default Tire wear survey....

Hello, 1niceride!

I've got 16'' Dunlops SP Sport D8z's
I've got 15K on my car and 8/32s front and 9/32 rear wear (I know because I just brought my car in for service). I don't do the banzai runs, although this may change, because I installed a Bilstein/Eiback combo and the car can now be pushed harder with more confidence.

As far as your (quick) tire wear, I tend to wear out the outside of the tire because I like to corner hard. I found out (experimentally) that if you give the car some gas in the corner, you reduce the push on the front wheels and your tire wear is more even (better yet, you go faster through the turns ).

Of course, there are a million of other things, including driving habits, alignment, etc.

That's it for my 2 cents. Hope that helps.
Old 03-21-02, 08:13 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Actually i have a fair amount of tread left . I just have separated belts in 2 of the tires and on the other 2 it will happen soon . Maybe the dealer is just trying to sell me tires . Well , i have an excuse to get rims now , heheheheh.

I just wanted to see how many miles people got out of there tires, regardless of malfuction or wear .

Note to self : Give a buck or a cookie to get people to post.
Old 03-22-02, 05:44 PM
chowder
Driver

I had the stock B'stone RE030 and put 28K on them. They had been feathering since 10K. Alignment and balance were not unsupervised. My front's were chewing up the insides very very badly somehow. Decided to go Kuhmo 712 245/40/17 and burn up a set over the summer to find out if the tires/suspension was to blame. Put 6-700 miles on the Kuhmos in 3wks and couldn't stand them anymore. Not noisy, not good turn-in, lumpy in the cold, wobbly coming off heavy throttle at highway speed, traction control engaged a lot at launch, very stable in downpour. Between the width/profile I selected, the ride was entirely too harsh for me. I went and put Pilot A/S on a few days ago -- back to 235/45/17. My wallet hurts. Better turn in, very smooth ride, but not exactly quiet. I"ll have more feedback later.
Bottom line, it's been very hard for me to discern what caused my stock tires to wear horrendously unevenly (that has to be a grammar no-no). I would have far exceeded 30K on the B'stones if the insides hadn't worn completely away. I'm going to watch this next set very carefully.
Old 03-23-02, 03:00 AM
JFJacob
Driver School Candidate

Default 43,500 OEM

I had about 43,500 miles on my original tires 16", replaced them with Dunlope Sp5000 225/55/16, not thrilled, they're ok, better cornering, terrible body roll if pushed hard at corners. I hope to modify with Ltuned.
Old 03-23-02, 04:45 AM
Rover
Pole Position

Default Tire survey

Hey, what's going on. I've got Pirelli's P-Zeros. I have about 25K on them and still going. Hope that helps.
Regards.
Old 03-23-02, 11:51 AM
Jack McNeal
Driver School Candidate

I got 25,000 miles on my OEM RE030's, and was very happy to part with them because they were obnoxiously noisy. I now have 6000 miles on a set of Bridgestone RE730's which I love. They are smooth, quiet, and as far as I can tell, stick as well as the RE030's, and I am a pretty aggressive driver. Amazingly, the RE730's were almost $100 a tire less than the RE030's.
Old 03-24-02, 02:22 PM
Isaak
Driver School Candidate

Dunlop SP 5000 245/45/17 on all 4 wheels. Rotating every 5000 miles. 33,000 miles and at least another 10,000 to go if nothing unexpected happens. Very happy with them. Think, best combination of versatility, longevity and price.
Old 03-25-02, 09:15 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Jack McNeal
I got 25,000 miles on my OEM RE030's, and was very happy to part with them because they were obnoxiously noisy. I now have 6000 miles on a set of Bridgestone RE730's which I love. They are smooth, quiet, and as far as I can tell, stick as well as the RE030's, and I am a pretty aggressive driver. Amazingly, the RE730's were almost $100 a tire less than the RE030's.
Jack McNeal - Finally there is hope out there. I have 10K miles on my factory RE030s and are you right, they are noisy which is very annoying in such a fine caliber car as the GS.

I also have the problem of the stock 17" Rim tires just wandering all the over the place on uneven road. Another member on here called it "Trammeling". Maybe a tire can take care of some of this, but it would seem more like the steering and alignment at times.

I was looking at the RE730's too, which seems like a great choice, but I can not decide if it's worth just throwing fairly new tires that still have some life in them and getting new RE730s.
Old 03-26-02, 10:30 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

Isaak-

Dunlop SP 5000 245/45/17 on all 4 wheels. Rotating every 5000 miles. 33,000 miles and at least another 10,000 to go if nothing unexpected happens. Very happy with them. Think, best combination of versatility, longevity and price.
How is the noise level after 33,000 miles? Any discernible change in acceleration? Did it affect the navigation since the bigger tires roll less? Also, how does the profile of a 245 look like? Can you post a picture please? This is great, helpful information. Thanks.
Old 03-26-02, 07:10 PM
Isaak
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by whitels
Isaak-

How is the noise level after 33,000 miles? Any discernible change in acceleration? Did it affect the navigation since the bigger tires roll less? Also, how does the profile of a 245 look like? Can you post a picture please? This is great, helpful information. Thanks.
Noise is not much different from new. No noticeablle changes in handling/accelaration. I am not sure I understand your question about navigation, as far as I'm concerned it has nothing to do with tires but ruther with transmitter/receiver in the car. Besides those tires are wider but not bigger, their circumference, according to Dunlop, is exactly the same as 235/45/17. Sorry, don't have pictires available, check www.tirerack.com you'll see the pattern. Hope that helps.
Old 03-27-02, 09:49 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by chowder
I had the stock B'stone RE030 and put 28K on them. They had been feathering since 10K. Alignment and balance were not unsupervised. My front's were chewing up the insides very very badly somehow.

Bottom line, it's been very hard for me to discern what caused my stock tires to wear horrendously unevenly (that has to be a grammar no-no).
They wore like crap because they are crap. The RE030 may be one of the worst tires ever created. Nothing you can do about the uneven wear. It's a function of a very poor tire. Just move on and don't look back.
Old 03-27-02, 09:54 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lexguynj
I also have the problem of the stock 17" Rim tires just wandering all the over the place on uneven road. Another member on here called it "Trammeling". Maybe a tire can take care of some of this, but it would seem more like the steering and alignment at times.
The rims are not the cause. Tramlining is purely a function of the tire although wider high-performace tires will exhibit it more than the same tire in a narrower width. The RE030 is one of the worst offenders. It will track bird droppings in the road. Alignment may have some effect, but the tramlining won't go away until you replace the POS Stones.
Old 03-27-02, 04:44 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RealMarty

The rims are not the cause. Tramlining is purely a function of the tire although wider high-performace tires will exhibit it more than the same tire in a narrower width. The RE030 is one of the worst offenders. It will track bird droppings in the road. Alignment may have some effect, but the tramlining won't go away until you replace the POS Stones.
I think this is the key, because without this great forum and information sharing, most people like me would be thinking L-Tune Steering ECU, Alignment, maybe even balancing the wheels. Sure some of that may help temporarily but they are not the real solution.

I still can't believe our cars were outfitted with these horrendous tires. They are labeled as Ultra High Performance, but they are noisy, loud, wobbly and unrefined. I really do hope going to a better tire is the way to go.

Quick Reply: GS tire survey