Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Work Rezax 2 vs. HRE 540R

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-02, 06:16 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the RezaxII---I always thought a 20 inch mesh wheel will give the GS that classy yet touring yet sporty look. Go with the RezaxII in chrome staggared---HRE's are nice, but the spokes on the RezaxII seem thinner and sportier---much better in my opinion. Be sure to post some pics when you get them
Old 03-13-02, 08:55 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

BTW, the Silver Turbo features the reverse lip, in this case 1.5" front, 3.0" rear, fully polished.

On the SEMA yellow cab: I got a bit creative, and spec'd a 2.0" front lip, and 3.0" rear lip.

Also, aren't the WORK wheels in the original picture cast aluminum? They sure look like it... some would say the skinny spokes don't look 'substantial' enough for a bigger car (like a Lexus)- don't shoot the messenger!
Old 03-13-02, 10:01 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
BTW, the Silver Turbo features the reverse lip, in this case 1.5" front, 3.0" rear, fully polished.

On the SEMA yellow cab: I got a bit creative, and spec'd a 2.0" front lip, and 3.0" rear lip.

Also, aren't the WORK wheels in the original picture cast aluminum? They sure look like it... some would say the skinny spokes don't look 'substantial' enough for a bigger car (like a Lexus)- don't shoot the messenger!
Nope most of Work's top of line wheels are forged. Rezax is forged and also has DDC/superchrome option, it is one of Work's best wheels. I dunno how you can judge its "cast/forged" difference by "LOOK LIKE IT".

I really like Works' superchrome option, it has a feel of hyperblack in it, while it shines brightly. Very sporty/elegant~ With its bigger lips and superchrome, i dunno how would someone rate it "ulgy", when both designs are dead similar.

Anywayz, you can't go wrong with either wheels,
Old 03-13-02, 08:26 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Never said it was ugly ...

It looks cast because of the fairly intricate design between the lug bolt holes- this type of feature is difficult to forge cleanly, and even more difficult to machine, like HRE's styles are made.

Also, the Works appear to be 'sandwich' mounted- the wheel centers are mounted between the rim halves, instead of face (on top of the rim halves) mounted like the HREs are. Most people (I think) would regard sandwich mounted wheels as 'old school.'

Does anyone know if the Work wheels use hub-centering rings, or are the hub bores cut to the specific car make & model? (HREs are all custom-made & hub centric for the particular car) This is a good indicator of true quality...

Let's just say they're both great wheels!
Attached Thumbnails Work Rezax 2 vs. HRE 540R-porsche-996540r-19.jpg  
Old 03-14-02, 12:31 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

that was not directed to you buddy = ). For the machining part, I see what you mean now but it is forged~

I will let will answer the hub question for you
Old 03-14-02, 05:20 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

It looks cast because of the fairly intricate design between the lug bolt holes- this type of feature is difficult to forge cleanly, and even more difficult to machine, like HRE's styles are made.

Also, the Works appear to be 'sandwich' mounted- the wheel centers are mounted between the rim halves, instead of face (on top of the rim halves) mounted like the HREs are. Most people (I think) would regard sandwich mounted wheels as 'old school.'

Does anyone know if the Work wheels use hub-centering rings, or are the hub bores cut to the specific car make & model? (HREs are all custom-made & hub centric for the particular car) This is a good indicator of true quality...

Let's just say they're both great wheels!
The wheel centers are definitely "sandwich" mounted. Ive been able to inspect a set of 20" Equips first hand, although I had NO CLUE that this practice of manufacturing/assembly was an older technique, or that there was two ways of doing it. Also, Work wheels definitely require hub-centering rings, I received them with my wheels.(even though they were the WRONG sizes) SoCal???? Keep it coming dude, alot of the info youve posted lately is VERY informative/educational and will serve alot of prospective CL wheels buyers.
Old 03-14-02, 05:23 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

I've always loved the mesh wheel. My favorite was the DAZZ Casso---too bad it's discontinued.....
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-02, 05:50 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by ap0718
I've always loved the mesh wheel. My favorite was the DAZZ Casso---too bad it's discontinued.....
AP, those are Work Rexaz II's... Same wheel...
Old 03-15-02, 06:11 AM
lex430
Lead Lap

Originally posted by tinygs

The wheel centers are definitely "sandwich" mounted. Ive been able to inspect a set of 20" Equips first hand, although I had NO CLUE that this practice of manufacturing/assembly was an older technique, or that there was two ways of doing it. Also, Work wheels definitely require hub-centering rings, I received them with my wheels.(even though they were the WRONG sizes) SoCal???? Keep it coming dude, alot of the info youve posted lately is VERY informative/educational and will serve alot of prospective CL wheels buyers.

when I had my works put on by the wheel shop, I asked and they told me specifically that the wheels did NOT required the rings! The car rides and handles fine for me, maybe a bit of very minor vibration at ~60mph on occasion, which I thought it was due to low profile tires and road feel. Should I be concerned??
Old 03-15-02, 06:28 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lex430

when I had my works put on by the wheel shop, I asked and they told me specifically that the wheels did NOT required the rings! The car rides and handles fine for me, maybe a bit of very minor vibration at ~60mph on occasion, which I thought it was due to low profile tires and road feel. Should I be concerned??
Well, for a "perfect" fitment and to eliminate the vibration, yes you would need hub rings. But, I am almost positive that hub rings are not proprietary and you can very easily get some that will work fine with your particular wheels. There was another thread VERY recently that involved this exact situation, and other CL members were able to get hub rings for their WORK wheels.
Heres the link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=4
Old 08-24-03, 09:00 AM
performula
Driver School Candidate

Where can someone purchase Work Rezak wheels?
Old 08-24-03, 09:04 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by performula
Where can someone purchase Work Rezak wheels?
try gs4will he gets them from japan...he got mine from japan also..
Old 08-24-03, 12:36 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default I'd go with...

The HRE 540R. The Work Rezax look like they have to much going on in the center. IMO the HRE 540R has a much cleaner looking design. Just my 2cents!

Regards,

-Seize
Old 04-13-10, 11:01 AM
importhope
Lead Lap

HRE 540, no question... anybody here? lol. Old post.