Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Car or Tires?: 06 GS430 ADVAN A10B tires Cupping Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 05:11 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this car lowered out of curiosity?

I am not sure that the Potenza RE050A would be a great replacement either. My g/f and friend both had cupping issues with these on G35 coupes on their first sets of tires. The second set of tires on my g/f's we provided specs "ideal" found on a G35 forum (as mentioned it had to do with Toe), and my friend had alignment done with the OEM specs; neither kept their car long enough to go through the second set and see the outcomes though so I can't speak to how much it helped/didn't help.

Any thought on if a non UHP tire (something a little harder) would have better wear tolerances compared to these?
Old 03-23-09, 05:46 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400

I am not sure that the Potenza RE050A would be a great replacement either. My g/f and friend both had cupping issues with these on G35 coupes on their first sets of tires. The second set of tires on my g/f's we provided specs "ideal" found on a G35 forum (as mentioned it had to do with Toe), and my friend had alignment done with the OEM specs; neither kept their car long enough to go through the second set and see the outcomes though so I can't speak to how much it helped/didn't help.

Any thought on if a non UHP tire (something a little harder) would have better wear tolerances compared to these?
I have 10k on my RE050's in a 285/30-19... Car is lowered 2" all around, and I run -2.5 degrees camber... there is zero bad wear... I have also not rotated them side to side even...They also still look next to new... more than 8/32 tread across the whole tread... (10/32 new)...
Old 03-23-09, 07:18 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, car is stock.

I am not sure that the Potenza RE050A would be a great replacement either. My g/f and friend both had cupping issues with these on G35 coupes on their first sets of tires. The second set of tires on my g/f's we provided specs "ideal" found on a G35 forum (as mentioned it had to do with Toe),
That may be the site I saw were people were customizing the factory specs. I don’t recall seeing any long term results.

and my friend had alignment done with the OEM specs; neither kept their car long enough to go through the second set and see the outcomes though so I can't speak to how much it helped/didn't help.
I got a question in the GS third gen section but no response yet. Many got the Michelin PS2 but I have not heard any long term results.

I was wondering why mitsuguy had the Potenza RE050A on the list unless a real soft rubber does better? I was thinking maybe a softer sidewall would do better. I was looking at
Potenza RE960AS Pole Position in the UHP.

I was also looking at the Michelin PS2, but I want to make sure this tire does not have the same problem. I would be spitting nails if such a high dollar tire got loud and did not last long. It does however have the tight inner tread.

While searching I found this UHP http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=V

At 100 bucks a tire, sure is enticing. Even if you only get 15k out of it. How bad is this tire?
Old 03-23-09, 07:25 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

horrible... directional tires are the ones to avoid if you want to avoid the cupping... even with rotations, you can not turn a directional tire around to counteract any uneven wear that you may get just because of the way a tire wears period...

I have the RE050 on the list because I know it works well with lots of negative camber... The Re960 would work well, although it is a directional tire, it has many slots and sipes and typically doesn't wear bad...
Old 03-23-09, 10:15 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Obviously, when you get a set of new tires, the seller would always recommend an alignment afterwards. Since it is an 2006. It has been 3 good years already. I hate to say this but maybe it is time for new struts and shocks. Get the KYB sets. They are great and cheaper than OEM and also handles a little better. But before jumping into conclusions. Do have your suspension check else where. It should be free. Ask them to check if you have worn suspensions. Also ask them about the condition of your struts and shocks and see what they say in details. GL!
Old 03-24-09, 01:15 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I have 10k on my RE050's in a 285/30-19... Car is lowered 2" all around, and I run -2.5 degrees camber... there is zero bad wear... I have also not rotated them side to side even...They also still look next to new... more than 8/32 tread across the whole tread... (10/32 new)...
I am just basing off the experiences we've had with these tires. I am sure they work well for most with the right alignment specs. For whatever Nissan did not do well with their factory alignment with the G/Z cars as both had tired wear issues (feathering/cupping). My g/f's car was -1 degree camber IIRC and the cupping issue, like my friend's, was only on the front - rear's were fine; we set the alignment to -1.5 camber and .04 toe when we got replacement tires. The tires on her G lasted about 17k with no side-to-side rotations. I am not saying they are a bad tire by any means. I am just simply stating that these, too, can cup and I've experienced it first hand.

These were the OEM tires and when we replaced them at 17K, they were replaced also with the same Potenza RE050As so it's not that I am bashing the tire by any means. In fact, when her Turanzas need to be replaced on her IS350, we'll probably go back to the RE050A as she feels that tire felt better; however, that may be attributable to other things as well.
Old 03-24-09, 01:47 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I am just basing off the experiences we've had with these tires. I am sure they work well for most with the right alignment specs. For whatever Nissan did not do well with their factory alignment with the G/Z cars as both had tired wear issues (feathering/cupping). My g/f's car was -1 degree camber IIRC and the cupping issue, like my friend's, was only on the front - rear's were fine; we set the alignment to -1.5 camber and .04 toe when we got replacement tires. The tires on her G lasted about 17k with no side-to-side rotations. I am not saying they are a bad tire by any means. I am just simply stating that these, too, can cup and I've experienced it first hand.

These were the OEM tires and when we replaced them at 17K, they were replaced also with the same Potenza RE050As so it's not that I am bashing the tire by any means. In fact, when her Turanzas need to be replaced on her IS350, we'll probably go back to the RE050A as she feels that tire felt better; however, that may be attributable to other things as well.
Yah... I understand... If I recall, Nissan recalled/campaigned all those cars and had the alignments redone to a different spec... In fact, I just looked at the TSB and see where they were even replacing tires for free due to this, as well as extending the warranty on the alignment... Again, here, it was a toe setting that was causing the cupping / inner tire wear...

quick edit (off topic): I find it hard to believe the 350z's and other cars based on that chassis do not have adjustable camber / caster... I guess I never paid attention, but what kinda crap is that...
Old 03-24-09, 06:49 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Wink

If I recall, Nissan recalled/campaigned all those cars and had the alignments redone to a different spec... In fact, I just looked at the TSB and see where they were even replacing tires for free due to this, as well as extending the warranty on the alignment... Again, here, it was a toe setting that was causing the cupping / inner tire wear...
Ha, I think BMW and Toyota should learn something

Turanza Serenitys
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=V

Would I be taking a chance with these on the 06 GS430?
Old 03-24-09, 06:55 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by GS2006
Ha, I think BMW and Toyota should learn something

Turanza Serenitys

Awesome tire... probably the quietest smoothest tire on the market...

I must have missed it when I was looking through options...
Old 03-24-09, 09:14 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Awesome tire... probably the quietest smoothest tire on the market...

I must have missed it when I was looking through options...
Okay, went back to the tire guy. He put the car on the rack and said these tires are a mess. Today the feel like they were coming apart. He said they belts are definitely separating. Not just one tire either. Lexus and Avan do not match… Said this has been more common than it should for Lexus, MB, BMW.

I have narrowed my search I think.
These are my picks
First choice: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
I think it is directional. The tire guy told me no matter what tire I put on this car, it will have the tendency to wear/cup on the inside. And once it starts there is no stopping it even if it was not directional. Putting it on the other side won’t help. Is this true? The mileage guarantee and all weather seems a plus for my style of driving. I read a pretty good review from a M3 driver who has used both tires (PS2 and A/S Plus), and his conclusion was this tire is just as good as the PS2 for Normal Street driving with perks of all season. Debate is out on getting 45K out of them though.

Second choice: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Only reason this tire is second on the list is because of the warrantee of the A/S Plus.

Third Choice Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position
It is cheaper than the A/S Plus. It is directional. Has a good warrantee. Just worried I will get same results as with the Avan A10B..

Fourth Bridgestone Turanza Serenity
Was leaning toward this tire at the top of the list since I figured it would be the quietest tire available. Since tire guy does not carry it, it would be just as expensive as PS2. Nice that it is not directional, but I still need a little push to move it back up.

You think the directional Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus would be a mistake?
Thanks
Old 03-24-09, 10:17 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Hmmm... first off, he is completely wrong... once a tire starts cupping, it is very true that it is next to impossible to make it better, however any asymmetrical tire will be able to be cross rotated to prevent this if possible... one of the reasons a tire cups is that the leading edge of the tread is constantly hitting the ground first... that's why manufacturers recommend cross rotating the non drive tires - it turns the tire around so that the opposite edge is the leading edge...

My thoughts would be along these lines:
Touring performance: Choice #1 Turanza Serenity - this tire gets the best reviews possible
High Performance: Choice #1 Pilot Sport PS2

Touring Performance A/S: Toss up between Pilot Sport plus and RE960 A/S

so, if you want the smooth quiet ride and am willing to give up a little performance, the Serenity is the way to go... if you are looking for all out performance, the PS2 is the way to go...

All season - toss up between the Bridgestone and the Michelin... I might add that all but the PS2 have mileage warranties...

one more thing - the person that says the Pilot Sport A/S Plus handles as good as the PS2 is crazy... it's a great tire, but there is definitey a difference in handling...
Old 03-25-09, 06:47 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Hmmm... first off, he is completely wrong... once a tire starts cupping, it is very true that it is next to impossible to make it better, however any asymmetrical tire will be able to be cross rotated to prevent this if possible... one of the reasons a tire cups is that the leading edge of the tread is constantly hitting the ground first... that's why manufacturers recommend cross rotating the non drive tires - it turns the tire around so that the opposite edge is the leading edge...
Thanks. You have been a world of help. I agree with you.

How about this scenario with directional tires:
To get the opposite side get the other end the tread to hit first, remove the tire and flip it? Is this a bad idea?

Oh, and why is there a different PS2 for different car? What are the diffs? Which one for Lexus?

Last edited by GS2006; 03-25-09 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-25-09, 09:38 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

one more thing - the person that says the Pilot Sport A/S Plus handles as good as the PS2 is crazy... it's a great tire, but there is definitey a difference in handling...
In the conditions he tested, he may he right. ~95% the tire??
See his review here: http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?p=3800027

No doubt the PS2 is the best out there for performance. But if I get close with the longevity added; I like the A/S Plus (ugg, why does it have to be directional). I guess it is to new for TR survey data.

Maybe I should not get hung up on that. These Avans maybe the real reason for all this concern. As for noise, I could put a copper truck tie on it would be quieter. I don’t remember the noise being an issue for the first 1k miles. I maybe going to far to the extreme if I get the touring tire. I would like to get about four years out of a tire though which would be around 40k miles.
Old 03-25-09, 11:31 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Thanks. You have been a world of help. I agree with you.

How about this scenario with directional tires:
To get the opposite side get the other end the tread to hit first, remove the tire and flip it? Is this a bad idea?

Oh, and why is there a different PS2 for different car? What are the diffs? Which one for Lexus?
Not a horrible idea, but also not very worthwhile... because the tire is still rotating the same direction, the leading edge is still hitting the ground first...

it will help with camber wear, but not toe or cupping at all...
Old 03-26-09, 07:23 AM
s_m
Driver School Candidate

Turanza Serenitys

Not at all. These tires have worked GREAT for me. The ride is fantastic.

Quick Reply: Car or Tires?: 06 GS430 ADVAN A10B tires Cupping Pics