Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

TIre help,,

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-09, 04:18 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default TIre help,,

Am assisting a family member with tire selection and would like to know your thoughts. Aunt has a 97 Honda CVR and will need to replace tires soon. Looking to keep within a budget of about +/- $90 per tire. As much as I would like for her to upgrade, she wants to stay stock size 205/70/15. Have been looking thru TR site and I kinda like either the Yokohama AVID TRZ, and/or the Pirelli P4's. Am interested in your opinions on these tires, as well as any other suggestions you all may have for tires on this vehicle.
Old 03-14-09, 09:01 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

the Avid TRZ's are nice.. I got to try them when they first came out a few years back and was impressed at the time...

most tires in that size are a generic kind of all season tire, there is no real dry or wet style tire, but that's ok, I doubt she's looking for a summer high performance tire on her CRV anyways...

Some other good options
Goodyear Assurance Comfortred (not integrity or assurance)
Bridgestone Turanza EL400
BFG Traction T/A

The Pirelli P4 is sold out (less than 2 available), but in all honesty, was never a big fan of that tire to start...

The above options I added are all good tires and close to the $90 mark. I would add one option if she is looking for a little more rugged tire, to check out the BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail T/A or the Yokohama AT/S and if she is wanting a little more performance, might think about the General Grabber UHP as it throws in a little higher speed rating than most.
Old 03-15-09, 10:04 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

I looked at the Turanza EL, and ruled them out based on their performance ratings; too many rating of only fair to good. Kinda disappointed in that since I have had Turanza's on practically every vehicle I have owned and had nothing but good things to say about them. Was thinking, based on the reviews, that this was the lower end of the Turanza line.

Traction T/A's look to be a good alternative. Will put this on list of possible
alternatives.

Looked at the Assurance Comfortread before I posted this thread, didn't rule this one out but was concerned over some of the reviews over poor traction in wet conditions; despite the ratings on this tire. Also, since the CRV is about minivan height, the review from the customer who noted an increase in bodyroll concerned me immensely.

As for the other selections you mentioned, the SUV is mainly driven highway and in wet/winter conditions. Live here in MD so we do get our fair share of wet weather as well as a good amount of winter weather. Thanks for your suggestions.

Please keep em coming.
Old 03-15-09, 07:20 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

hate to say it because I am not a goodyear fan at all, but the comfortred is one of the best all season non performance tires I've driven on (with a focus on dry / wet, not necessarily snow). It performed better than the Michelin Symmetry on a back to back wet weather test. We were driving 4 door sedans and I could consistently go around a turn about 3-4 mph faster in the goodyears over the michelins, and when the did let go, they were easier to regain control...

If you were to be doing some more winter driving, I might push you to spend the extra couple of dollars on the Assurance Tripletred...

As far as the Bridgestone EL400, well, it is a standard speed rated Turanza, all Turanza tires are really equivalent in terms of quality, however, it is the most inexpensive of the Turanza lineup. I have never had a complaint about that tire however, and have usually replaced with the same thing when a customer wore their current set out.
Old 03-16-09, 10:44 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Mitsuguy, thanks for some of your suggestions. Brandon, what are some of your thoughts?
Old 03-16-09, 12:33 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GY Assurance Triple Tread is the best in that size. Best traction, ride, treadlife combination @ $95 each plus shipping. Rebate promo going on right now as well.
Old 03-16-09, 03:09 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Really?,, I have read alot of reviews on excessive road noise with this tire between 45-60. Both on TR as well as in Consumer Reports. If I were buying for my car, then I don't think it would bother me but what is your view on the noise factor of this tire?
Old 03-16-09, 05:02 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Consumer Reports is the worst reviewer of tires, ever...

they once claimed an entry level Falken was "significantly better" than the Michelin, Bridgestone and Goodyear... Had a customer come in for the Falkens because of that review, and the same customer was back a month later pissed that they weren't what CR claimed, I hooked him up, he paid the difference, purchased the Michelins... saw him 6 months later and he thanked me again and again...
Old 03-23-09, 10:26 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Pirelli is expensive and noisy. For SUV, go with Michellins because they are heavy duty and Michellin's sidewalls are very stiff IMO.