Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Yokohama Sdrive

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 05:41 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yokohama Sdrive

Anyone have any experience with them? How is the wear of them, and how about the noise level? Was thinking about Falken but after reading what other members have said about them I started looking at alternatives. I have Toyo T1R now and just love them, I am on my 3rd set now, just want to see what else is out there. Plus the Yokohamas are a great price
Old 02-20-09, 05:45 PM
humanoid
Driver

Bump for you, Rich. I need a new set of tires and was looking at these too.
Old 02-20-09, 09:22 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think everyone that has one set of tires is looking for something different, funny huh? I have S.drives 245/35/20 on 9" wide front and 275/30/20 on 10.5" rear so both are slightly stretched. I am pretty satisfied with them, although I have no experience with other tires in the ultra high performance class. They are pretty smooth and quiet, and they wear nice and slow.

I have put about 6k miles and they look new still, no complaints at all about them. I have been researching other tires myself and have'nt found much on the S.drives, but I have been very interested in the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta. It also has a good tread rating, excellent wet traction and supposedly wisper quiet. You can also pick them up pretty close to the same price as the S.drives and they will be my next tire choice. I hope I dont confuse you at all!
Old 02-21-09, 12:09 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for the info. I looked at the vredestein tires but dont like the look of the tread at all , I really like the Toyo T1R but I can get the Yokohama for almost $500 less. I will probably run a 225 up front and 255 in the rear stretched. Guess I will just have to go for them
Old 02-21-09, 01:45 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this is off the Tire Rack site: I have only had one tire by Yokohama in the past and wasnt satisfied with it. Read this review. If you are going to be easy on the car then this is not an issue I would assume.

Yokohama S.drive (Ultra High Performance Summer) Reviewer's Overall Rating: 7
2005 Honda S2000 More Tire Reviews for This Vehicle
Miles driven on tires: 7,500
Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Driving Style: Spirited

Initial Review, 7,500 Miles on Tires
February 16, 2009

I purchased these to replace the OEM Bridgestone RE050s. I planned to go with aftermarket wheels in the future and didn't want to drop close to $1000 on factory replacements in case I changed wheel diameter. Overall, I've been somewhat dissatisfied with these tires after reading mostly positive reviews prior to buying. My main complaint is the dry traction. They are noticeably worse than the OEM Bridgestones. This was obvious from the start. They begin to lose grip and screech around curves I could previously take at much higher speeds. The sidewalls also seem to flex easily. The car used to be really responsive with quick steering input and now there is a noticeable delay. Aside from this, I have no complaints. The wet traction seems decent...I typically don't drive aggressively when it's wet, though. They aren't abnormally loud, they are smooth, and they don't seem to wear quickly. While these are attractive traits for most tires, I don't think they're suited to a performance car. I'd recommend alternatives (maybe the Sumitomo HTR Z III) or to just spend the money for the Bridgestones (RE050, RE050 PP, RE070).
Old 02-21-09, 09:54 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for showing me this review. I am glad to hear in the review that the tire is not loud and it wears well. I dont really drive my car too aggressively so I just may give these a try. If they dont work out I can always go back for a 4th set of the Toyo T1R
Old 02-22-09, 03:00 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have these tires rich, they are good and very quiet, compound is not too bad on wear and still drives quite soft, when you go over bumps you dont hear that hard bouncing ball sound.....I dont know how else to explain it haha... decent price also for all around good tire.
Old 02-22-09, 08:39 AM
humanoid
Driver

Alright, I'm pretty convinced I'll be getting some S.drives. Now to find the cheapest prices!
Old 02-22-09, 02:20 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PandaGS430
I have these tires rich, they are good and very quiet, compound is not too bad on wear and still drives quite soft, when you go over bumps you dont hear that hard bouncing ball sound.....I dont know how else to explain it haha... decent price also for all around good tire.
Thanks for the info, glad you liked them. SO the tread wear was pretty decent? What sizes were you running?
Old 02-22-09, 02:48 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ post back some feedback after you get a few miles on them. I am curious to see what you think. I am in need of summer tires also and torn on what to get. I want the PS2 but wonder if I really need that tire on the GS??
Old 02-22-09, 03:29 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I've got about 10K on my 245/40-18's. I like them a lot. Quiet except under the worst of road surfaces, smooth and it's reasonably quick at turn-in. It's not as performance oriented as the BFG KDW-2's that were on the car previously. Being able to have a conversation without yelling was worth the performance trade. Those KDW-2's were LOUD!

Ours has -1.5 camber front and -1 rear. I haven't taken the depth gauge to measure inside and outsidewear...it looks pretty even thus far. I'd buy these again.
Old 02-22-09, 05:08 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ post back some feedback after you get a few miles on them. I am curious to see what you think. I am in need of summer tires also and torn on what to get. I want the PS2 but wonder if I really need that tire on the GS??
I will once I get them on. I probably wont put new tires on for another month, but I will update when I get a few miles on them.
Old 02-22-09, 05:09 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40
I've got about 10K on my 245/40-18's. I like them a lot. Quiet except under the worst of road surfaces, smooth and it's reasonably quick at turn-in. It's not as performance oriented as the BFG KDW-2's that were on the car previously. Being able to have a conversation without yelling was worth the performance trade. Those KDW-2's were LOUD!

Ours has -1.5 camber front and -1 rear. I haven't taken the depth gauge to measure inside and outsidewear...it looks pretty even thus far. I'd buy these again.
thanks for the info, glad to hear they are not loud. I am at the camber right now but once I get the ride height set I should be pretty close to within specs.
Old 02-22-09, 05:23 PM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Thanks for the info, glad you liked them. SO the tread wear was pretty decent? What sizes were you running?
20x8.5 225/35

20x10 245/35
Old 02-22-09, 06:08 PM
humanoid
Driver

Where/who are you getting these tires from?

Quick Reply: Yokohama Sdrive