Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-09, 08:18 PM
NealM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Does anyone have any feedback on this new tire? How does it compare to the Bridgestone Potenza.

I'm looking for a All-Season Performance Tire.
Old 01-23-09, 09:05 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, but I they are not the Plus model. I don't know what the difference between the new model and its predecesor is but the geniology must be consistent.

steviej
Old 01-26-09, 07:03 PM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I just got these installed at Costco in 225/45/17. So far, they are definitely quieter and feel more "planted" than the ContiExtremeContacts I had on before. I haven't tried them out in the snow yet here in the NE, but they have excellent grip in the cold weather we've been having.

Great tires, especially if they hold up to Michelin's claim of 45k miles. They Pilot Sport A/S Plus are rated 500AA A while the old Pilot Sport A/S was rated at 400AA A I believe.

Last edited by BlueIS05; 01-26-09 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-29-09, 05:20 PM
BoingR6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NealM
Does anyone have any feedback on this new tire? How does it compare to the Bridgestone Potenza.

I'm looking for a All-Season Performance Tire.
I'm #12 on the post. The link below was a review of 1100 miles.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...lus-tires.html

Since then I have 3700 driven on these tires. A brief review:

- Since Oct 08 until 1/28 there has been heavy rainfall, snow conditions, and ice storms that have been experienced.
Dry conditions: These tires run superb, with these Plus, and the previous edition on a previous car as well. Cornering, on and off ramps all handle very planted. Since then I have built some confidence as well as familiarized myself with the GS and have been able to take the speeds a tad higher since my last review. And... the tires still performed well.
Wet conditions: Light to moderate rainfall conditions have not been an issue for these tires. Of course my speed on turns and corners are trimmed back, but the feel is the same.
Heavy rainfall, or puddle conditions proves to be a bit tricky. IMHO I try to avoid puddles, or heavy water spots, but there are times that driving conditions don't permit or you don't see them. The 2 times that I have hit these puddles, the tires did AVERAGE. I'm not sure if there are tires meant to drive through such puddles anyway.
Light snow to moderate: Accumulations ranging 1"-5". These tires handled AVERAGE. A few turns at low speeds were not impressive, as the car tended to fishtail. You will have to vary your acceleration and braking in these conditions to benefit from these tires. IMO these tires aren't the "best" snow condition tires.
Ice: With the most recent being 1/28 true test of snow 2-4" in the morning, freezing rain at noon, and rain for the remainder of the day. I'm just glad I made it home with rain being the latter. Driving through parts of NJ proved to be a bit nerveracking, minor slip and slides, and having to control throttle and braking again.

Conclusion: Winter tires were made for that damn reason, I'll probably get a set of winters come next winter. In all other conditions, these tires are .
Old 01-29-09, 05:31 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had these tires and the are great, they are not for SNOW or ICE....Outside of that for what you get for the $$ well worth it. IMO if you are going to have dedicated SNOW/Winter tires then get the PS2 tires and they are not much more. Now having HP Snow tires and HP summer tires its the way to go if you are in the midwest or an area that does suffer from the sever cold, snow, and ice....

Being where the OP is located this is a good tire year round IMO for the mild or occasional bad weather you may see.
Old 01-31-09, 06:18 AM
bikerneil
Driver School Candidate

Default Not suitable for Lexus LS460??

I am told this tire is not suitable and does not have load rating required for the LS460? Is that true?

I am still searching for best tire for my staggered set up on an LS460. I have 20" wheels, with 9" up front and 10.5" in rear. I am looking for some performance and good tread life. I live in Southern CA, so all season performance is not very important at all.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-09, 03:35 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerneil
I am told this tire is not suitable and does not have load rating required for the LS460? Is that true?

I am still searching for best tire for my staggered set up on an LS460. I have 20" wheels, with 9" up front and 10.5" in rear. I am looking for some performance and good tread life. I live in Southern CA, so all season performance is not very important at all.

Thanks.
It depends on your tire size... certain tire sizes will not work because they in general do not have the correct load rating... within those sizes, there are certain tires from certain manufacturers that the same thing happens with... some tires have XL, extra load carrying ability to handle more weight than others in that same/similar size...
Old 02-12-09, 04:45 PM
NealM
Driver School Candidate

I ordered a set of these today from the Tire Rack.
Old 02-17-09, 03:19 PM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just ordered a pair of these tires for my fronts on my 08 IS350 225/40ZR/18 from my local shop for $230 a tire installed. getting them installed tomorrow. will let ya kno how it goes.

thanks for everybody's feedback!
Old 02-17-09, 07:28 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Default I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

On my new '08' IS350, and on bad coarse, concrete freeways in Western Washington, they are LOUD. On smooth patched freeway sections using black asphalt, etc., they are quiet.
I also purchased a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole Position A/S for my wife's '03 540iTouring, and they are way better than the Michelin Pilot Sports that were also LOUD and tramlined. The new Bridgestones are very nice handling, and quiet, very quiet, no more tramlining, etc..
If Bridgestone had made both sizes of the staggered sizes on the Lexus, I would have bought them instead of the loud Michelins..
Again, the same issue, but with a lot less snow,and ice, which we did have like for a month, and then again almost a month later, and we still may get some again before spring..
See if you can get the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole Position A/S in your size/s and you will be way more pleased I think.
Good luck with your project ! DanF
Old 02-20-09, 12:20 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueIS05
I just got these installed at Costco in 225/45/17. So far, they are definitely quieter and feel more "planted" than the ContiExtremeContacts I had on before. I haven't tried them out in the snow yet here in the NE, but they have excellent grip in the cold weather we've been having.

Great tires, especially if they hold up to Michelin's claim of 45k miles. They Pilot Sport A/S Plus are rated 500AA A while the old Pilot Sport A/S was rated at 400AA A I believe.
How were your ContiExtremeContacts in the snow? I know the old IS300 was pretty notorious for a bad winter driver, did the Conti's do better then other tires? I was going to get the ExtremeContacts because they had such a good winter rating but they were out of stock everywhere so I went with Kuhmo Ecsta ASX which did pretty well in the snow. I was also told the Conti's developed dead spots in the extreme cold making the ride a little bumpy for the first few miles.
Old 02-20-09, 11:03 PM
NealM
Driver School Candidate

After putting a little over 500 miles on these new tires I can say I like the way the car feels with these tires. The car has a very "solid" feel in corners. I don't hear any road noise either. I can say I would buy these tires again. I want to see how the tire wear is after about 5000 miles.
Old 02-22-09, 08:43 AM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
How were your ContiExtremeContacts in the snow? I know the old IS300 was pretty notorious for a bad winter driver, did the Conti's do better then other tires? I was going to get the ExtremeContacts because they had such a good winter rating but they were out of stock everywhere so I went with Kuhmo Ecsta ASX which did pretty well in the snow. I was also told the Conti's developed dead spots in the extreme cold making the ride a little bumpy for the first few miles.
The ContiExtremeContacts were much much better than the OEM Bridgestones RE92s that came with the IS300 in the snow. Those tires were quite crappy overall to be honest so anything would be a step up! The Conti's did fine when there was 2-3 inches of fresh snow. No fishtailing and I felt in control as long as I drove carefully in the conditions. The roads get plowed relatively quickly around here so I never got a chance to test them out in anything deeper. Then again, I'd try to stay in anyway if that was the case.

Its true that they would develop a flat spot, especially after sitting for a few days. No big deal as it would smooth out after they warmed up a bit. Road noise (though not unbearable) was much louder than the PS2 A/S+.
Old 02-22-09, 02:13 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueIS05
The ContiExtremeContacts were much much better than the OEM Bridgestones RE92s that came with the IS300 in the snow. Those tires were quite crappy overall to be honest so anything would be a step up!
I couldn't agree more. The only thing nice about the Bridgie RE92's is getting rid of them. They should be illegal they are so poor. The only redeeming quality is they were very quiet.

steviej
Old 02-22-09, 04:22 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at the A/S Plus for my 2007 GS350. I have 18 inch wheels and want a quieter ride and a little more comfort than the Advans that came OEM.
Plus denotes the long wear composite, as I understand it.
Opinions on using these as replacement for this
car? Issues with vibration?

Last edited by noncom23; 02-26-09 at 06:29 PM.