Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

D2FORGED Gets Reviewed By Wheel Industry Connoisseur!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 02:19 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D2FORGED Gets Reviewed By Wheel Industry Connoisseur!!!

Hello all I just wanted to share with ClubLexus what we have been up to with the D2FORGED product line. In efforts to build the best possible wheel product available we have been placing the D2FORGED product in the hands of some of the most knowledgeable experts in this industry challenging them to review the product with a "fine tooth comb". In doing so through their reviews and testing, we are only retailing to the masses a 20" version of our absolute best efforts. This was one of our least favorable reviews but after making some small changes we are able to improve our product to suit even the perfectionist.

Originally Posted by 503Tim
So after I accidentally mixed up D2Forged with D-Forged (I am not a fan of D-Forged quality and obviously easy to confuse) I was asked by Derrick Williams, President of D2Forged, to check out the product and give my honest opinions or as I will call them the UPS and DOWNS. Well I have been buying and selling custom wheels in one way or another for about 14 years and I feel that I have pretty good idea of what is good and bad so I took the offer. Derrick promised me a wheel right away and it arrived today via UPS.

(All Photos taken with Leica D-LUX 3)

Now this wheel is sent to me as a display unit and I am not sure how far into production they are so I will start with:

DOWNS

The packaging was a bit loose and I would be afraid that after UPS gets their hands on it there could be some damage resulting in lost time and possible revenue, these are already on the three-piece waiting list average of 3-4 weeks. So I would hope that as they grow and prosper these details would be looked at first and a good solid packaging with brand recognition be put in place.

Upon initial inspection I found quite a few shavings from the milling process that were still on the back of the wheel and static clinged to the barrel. A great pre-ship inspection is needed to insure end user satisfaction.

I also noticed that there were a lot of tool marks on the assembly hardware which discerning clientele may find off putting.

On the face of the wheel there is a small amount of pitting that could either be in the aluminum or in the clear final coat, but this was right on the face.

These are all extremely easy to fix and minor to some but I feel they are worth noting. With that said let's get on to the UP's......
Old 01-12-09, 02:21 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Originally Posted by 503Tim
UP's

The initial stand back impression of this wheel is that it is fantastic. Nice clean style though seen in many other manufactures lines is still an easy sell and timeless in my opinion.

The fit and of the components is excellent and milling is far above standards. Notice the polished inner windows, this was all consistent and excellent.

Again, attention to detail in the milling process is nice and while some clients may not like the tag on the wheel spoke I feel that it actually adds a bit to this wheel and is executed very nicely.

The chrome plating on the barrels is flawless and bright and while I may assume that these are outsourced it is still a wise decision in vendor for your final product.

One of my favorite aspects of D2FORGED line is the Aluminum center cap. Very nice touch and again great attention to detail here.

So my final impression is that this is a company with their eye on the prize. The quality is there and with a few tweaks of the packaging and final quality control I certainly see them being a contender in the crazy market that is the aftermarket wheel industry. Thanks again to Derrick for sending out the product and allowing me to do an Ups and Downs review for the L4P Community.

Here is some information from Derrick Williams with D2Forged, some interesting information on the wheels they produce.

-Hubcentric Build (no hubrings)
-TPMS acceptance
-6061-T6 Forged Aluminum
-Fully Forged Construction (center and barrels) -Weight Starting at 22lbs in 19"
(Exact weight varies based on fitment type) -Built by Materials 100% Made in the USA
-3-4 Week Average Lead Time
-2 Piece Modular Construction available
-Seal of Authenticity on EACH wheel, with serial number.
-Engraved Metal center caps (free with the first 100sets sold, a $250.00 dollar value) -D2FORGED's Exclusive "Bespoke Program" - Configure your own wheel finish combination

An additional benefit of owning D2FORGED wheels, the first 100 sets sold will include a complementary 13month Membership to the Autolife Emergency Services - Roadside Assistance Program. (Specifically targeted towards Sports and Luxury Vehicles).

As far as fitment is concerned, we have over 20 years combined experience and have measurement / fitment data on almost every mass produced vehicle, from Porsche, to Viper to Prowler to Bugatti Veyron (that's not a joke, we really have measured the Veyron). So most any car on L4P we can ensure proper fitment.

In the short time since our public introduction we have wheels fitted and installed on Viper, Lamborghini Gallardo, Corvette Z06-TT, Lexus ISF, Lexus GS, and Porsche 997tt vehicles.

A partial list Vehicles we would like to fit with wheels for promotional
purposes:
(partial)

AUDI R8
FERRARI SCUDERIA
LAMBORGHINI LP640
FORD GT
ROLLS-ROYCE PHANTOM
MASERATI GRANTURISMO
ASTON MARTIN DBS
BENTLEY GT SPEED
White BMW M6 recently returned from body shop..... (wink wink!)
Our Reply:

Originally Posted by D2FORGED
Tim, first off thank you for such a comprehensive review of our products. We could not be happier to have our product on display at your facility!

To the members of L4P, the importance of giving your business to supporting vendors can not be overlooked. 503-MOTORING has a hard earned and well deserved reputation for stellar service.
Please PM 503TIM with any and all inquiries regarding D2FORGED Wheels.

As far as the "DOWNS" are concerned, we greatly appreciate the constructive feedback. With the amount of experience you have in this industry, this feedback will assist us in further developing our programs. As you referenced this is not a production wheel, but a display sample. It will at no time ever be mounted on a vehicle.

Packaging - We are in the process of getting our sample boxes with company logo, etc from the manufacturer, to approve the design / layout. In the interim, I wanted to get a wheel out to you ASAP and used a generic box. In hindsight perhaps this was something to review with you prior to shipping, point taken!

Shavings - Those shavings are not from the milling, they are actually from the nut that is torqued down to hold the rivet. We use a serrated nut which has very small, fine 'teeth' (for lack of better terminology). This serrated nut is tightened down on the rear side of the flange, and ensures the nut will never spin off or loosen during normal usage. That being said our final QC for retail sale products includes a comprehensive cleaning and 'blowout' with compressed air, I'm sure this would be addressed during that step in the process.

Tool Marks / Pitting - These are the small detail things that will be addressed with our production / assembly staff to ensure we attain the highest possible level of customer service.

"UPs" - Thank you so much, we are striving to produce and distribute a distinctive product with significant and useful features / benefits in the marketplace. Its encouraging to know we are "on the right track"! :clap: :clap:

Last edited by Stefwilli; 01-12-09 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-12-09, 03:02 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great stuff to hear Derrick! You're going to go far
Old 01-12-09, 05:52 PM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Big Ups to D2!

Derrick, it's good that your company is striving for improvements and constructive criticism of your product so early in the game! This positive way of doing business will keep D2 in the game and competitive for a long time! Your wheel line and customer service speaks for itself!
Old 01-12-09, 06:48 PM
phillygs3

Old 01-12-09, 06:59 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Originally Posted by phillygs3
Thanks Bobby for the "Wheel Thing" heads up, Derrick and I visited their retail location and they absolutly loved the product. They will be one of the stores with display product from D2FORGED.
Old 01-12-09, 07:24 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

very nice Stef, you and Derrick are moving quick with the D2forged line. i see a couple wheels i like and will def be shooting u a pm when i get the funds.
Old 01-12-09, 08:57 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

If thats the most they can complain about then you guys are ahead of the game. Congrats and good luck in the future
Old 01-12-09, 10:07 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Niice wheels, great quality in a word of competative 2pc/3pc wheels are concerned. Guess being around wheels that long, gives you the upper hand on how to make something BETTER then the rest.

Congrats again guys.

...Maybe I'll be lucky enough to have a set of these on my ride one day.
Old 01-19-09, 08:47 PM
LexFather

Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-19-09, 10:02 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Congrats! This deserves a celebration!!!!!!

FREE WHEELS FOR EVERYONE!
Old 02-02-09, 10:42 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice write up. You know your dealing with a honest company when they put their Down's on a forum for everyone to read.

Last edited by Chancellor; 02-03-09 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-02-09, 04:33 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations, it's good to see you guys taking off, wheels look beautiful and it sounds like you're making all the right moves. Best of luck!
Old 02-02-09, 05:50 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
Congrats! This deserves a celebration!!!!!!

FREE WHEELS FOR EVERYONE!
I 2nd and please ship to 60016 IL.
Old 02-08-09, 10:19 PM
LEXGS1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice looking wheels. I really like the split 5

Quick Reply: D2FORGED Gets Reviewed By Wheel Industry Connoisseur!!!