Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Complete snow tire novice - quick questions

Old 12-21-08, 07:08 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete snow tire novice - quick questions

I live in Chicago and have always gotten away with the factory all-season tires in the multitude of cars I've owned, so I've never purchased snow tires.

But, my GS450h absolutely s*cks in the snow (I keep getting stuck getting out of my garage and the alley).

At this point I'm not looking for specific tire recommendations (I can certainly research that on my own). I just have some "big picture" questions:

[1] If I buy just tires, I would take the car in (to dealer or elsewhere) every ~ November and May to have the tires swapped out, balanced, etc?

[2] I've read that many recommend buying a set of tires and rims so that the above process is easier/quicker but at a considerable cost.

[3] Can you get away with just buying snow tires +/- rims for the rear?

[4] For either option, where does one store their tires/rims (I don't really have room in my garage and they wouldn't fit in my trunk or backseat when I needed to take them in anyway). I assume some dealers will store them for a fee?

Thanks for educating me. It's either snow tires or a new AWD car (and my threshold for getting/wanting a new car is pretty low to begin with...)
Old 12-21-08, 08:03 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I doubt any dealer will store them for you... Sheer number of cars they or any tire shop works on would just about prohibit that...

Although a second set of wheels may be pricey, keep in mind that paying for mounting and balancing twice a year may get quite costly as well, typically somewhere in the $50-$70 per visit range, depending on where you go.

It would be acceptable for just snow tires for the rear (though you should never install them just on the front). However, all you are getting is the drive wheel benefit, which on your car does almost no braking and zero turning.

You might wanna check with some other GS owners, but I would bet that a set of 17" GS wheels would work on your car, found used cheap. Then get a set of TPMS sensors which can be found as well. Then a set of 225/50-17 Bridgestone Blizzaks... Narrower than stock and one of the best winter tires you'll find...
Old 12-21-08, 12:18 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a GS owner, I know what you mean. This guy I know at work who has an '07 GS450 drove a few of us to get lunch with snow still in the parking lot. It was not pretty getting out of the lot. I bought a set of snow tires last year (from Tire Rack ) but have yet to even use them because we had hardly any snow last winter where I'm at. It was highly recommended from guys here in the forum and my Tire Rack rep that I get 4 tires and not only 2. Currently I have the tires still sitting in my garage along with four wheels from my previous GS. I do this because I have chrome wheels on right now that I want to store away in the winter. The plan is to bring the tires and those other wheels to a shop and having them place the snow tires on the wheels. It's a pain having the wheels and snow tires still sitting in the garage because its taking up space. I'm in no rush to get them installed because we've gotten no snow yet although more snow is predicted this winter than last year. Since your low on garage space, I suggest putting them in a shed or public storage. I'm kind of anxious to see how my GS performs with the Blizzaks in snow. I've read many posts from other members who say that having the snow tires really help. Being that your Chi-town, I suggest you get them. Good luck!
Old 12-21-08, 12:47 PM
Argelius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm tempted to just go out and get an Audi and be done with it. (I'm really lazy and the idea of dealing with the tires seems beyond my ability to motivate).

But I clearly need to do something. On Thursday, after I finally got unstuck from the alley, once I got on the freeway, I was still sliding around like Tonya Harding on crystal meth...
Old 12-21-08, 05:58 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Once the wheel/tire set up has been balanced they usually don't need balancing each year unless you have hit a pot hole, lost a weight, etc. This is usually made evident by vibration. However, most tire dealerships offer lifetime balance and winter tire swapping with the purchase of a set of tires. You have to read the fine print and all requirement for those packages as this does not usually apply to dismounting one tire and mounting another on the same rim. This usually means having the winter set on a set of separate rims. Again, consult you selected tire dealership for specific details that they may or may not offer.

2. Of course having a second set of dedicated winter rims/tires is easier. This will also involve the purchase of a second set of TPMS sensors (unless you want to face a winter of the TPMS warning light constantly lit up. In the long run, it is worth the purchase. Personally, this is the route that I took.

3. Definately not recomended. It is best to have the same tread and traction on all four corners regardless if you are 2WD or 4WD.

4. I have never heard of a car or tire dealership storing wheels and tires for a fee, but that doesn't mean it does not exist. I keep mine up in the rafters or my garage. If you have a finished ceiling in your garage then this would not be an option. This device might be a wise investment.

I refer you to www.tirerack.com for any further information you may need regarding a dedicated set of winter tires. Personally, it was the best decision I made in regards to the purchase of my GS. I just got close to 18" of snow and slush over the past two days and the car didn't skid, slip or skip a beat.

steviej
Old 01-04-09, 03:04 PM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Get 4 snow tires instead of 2

I tried for several years to get by with just all seasons tires but my GS4 was all over the road even with slight snow. Finally I wised up and bought a used set of Lexus rims from the CL classified forum and based on Tire Rack's recommendation, I got a set of 4 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 and those WS60 sure made night and day difference in winter driving.

If you really don't have the room in your garage, try storing the all seasons in the back of the garage outdoor. Don't think any reputable tire dealers are willing to install just 2 snow tires. You are much better off putting on 4 snow tires. I can assure you the handling of these WS60 will simply amaze you particularly if there's ice on the pavement. These babies just grab the road like a suction cup.

You can get these snow tires from COSTCO or Sams but require special order or you can just order them from Tire Rack and have them ship direct to their authorized istaller in your area.