Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Sevas WHeels

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08, 06:29 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sevas WHeels

I have always defended Sevas because I never had any issues with their wheels. Now that more people are having issues, I now feel like I should retract my earlier support. If just one person bought a set because I said they were fine and something happened, I would feel really bad. It wouldn't be my fault but I would feel bad.
The link below describes this guy having problems with cracking wheels...and they are the forged Sevas this time. That really stinks. Those guys need to get their stuff together. Actually, I guess it's too late now. No one is gonna buy these wheels after this news spreads around. Too bad, my experience with them was really positive.
I think we have some rule against posting links but I thought this was too important.

http://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-t...as-wheels.html
Old 12-09-08, 06:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i have been on the skeptical side about them since early on. well, i will continue that i guess.

no i have never owned their wheels before, but sigh...

thanks for posting the link though, that's some good read
Old 12-09-08, 08:06 PM
tlutsky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had sevas on my bro's G for a while now and with all the huge cracks and bumps we drove over we had no problem.
Old 12-09-08, 08:29 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Im glad I never bought Sevas wheels as I came very close too. More worrying to see their website has been suspended. If they cant afford a few £ or $ for hosting how can they make a quality product
Old 12-09-08, 08:59 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not good news for those that bought Sevas wheels. I thought they had some nice designs and a good price but not if they have an inferior product.
Old 12-09-08, 09:33 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I dont feel bad for SEVAS. We reporting the cracking issue to them really early (like 2006 early), and they sort of shrugged it off, and dismissed my advice to address their customers and the public EARLY.

We promptly stopped selling 1pc S22 and S10, and barely moved any forged.

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 12-09-08 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-09-08, 10:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
I dont feel bad for SEVAS. We reporting the cracking issue to them really early (like 2006 early), and they sort of shrugged it off, and dismissed my advice to address their customers and the public EARLY.

We promptly stopped selling 1pc S22 and S10, and barely moved any forged.
derrick, i think now you should move NONE
Old 12-09-08, 11:16 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

wow, thats terrible.
reinforces my thoughts to always buy reputable JDM products
(there are now too many US mfr's popping up and claiming to produce well-built forged products in the US and selling to companies like Sevas)
Old 12-10-08, 05:23 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

edit misread
Old 12-10-08, 08:20 AM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I had my Sevas almost 3 years. First on my G35 then mounted them on the GS. I've had no problems with them and was even thinking about getting their 3 piece before the economy went south.

I knew of their issues but it’s becoming very common now. At this point I already got my moneys worth on those wheels. Lets see if they redeem themselves with the quality of their products. While no product is really defect free (the Quality Engineer in me), I prefer my rims not to crack while driving on 285.
Old 12-10-08, 12:41 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

I also never had any issues with my Sevas wheels and thought/hoped the early problems were isolated and resolved.
That this has happened again...and more that it is the higher end models...just says a lot. I'm old skool. I don't take chances when there is obvious evidence.
I remember when HRE was having problems. You no longer hear of any issues with them. They obviously cleaned up their act. That's what I and any consumer would expect....that a company stand behind their product and improve the quality as needed.
Seems that Sevas doesn't feel that way. I just feel bad I recommended the wheels to several people. I won't anymore.
Old 12-10-08, 11:27 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I remember when HRE was having problems. You no longer hear of any issues with them. They obviously cleaned up their act.
It's funny that you mention that.. people still remember that as an HRE problem, but those wheels that failed (catastrophically, I might add) we KINESIS wheels, NOT HRE.

Unfortunately, after seeing photos of the failed wheel, someone mistook them for HREs (all black 5-spoke wheels look the same, right?) and before you knew it, word was all over the internet about "HRE failure" when there never was an HRE failure. They already did have "their act cleaned-up," way before the thread/"news" hit.

Someone clearly had an agenda or an axe to grind with HRE, or possibly made an honest mistake, but the damage was done.To this day they have a black eye for it. Sucks.
Old 12-10-08, 11:47 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^
wow, talk about some serious clarification sir. to you, as well deserved.
Old 12-11-08, 01:09 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
It's funny that you mention that.. people still remember that as an HRE problem, but those wheels that failed (catastrophically, I might add) we KINESIS wheels, NOT HRE.

Unfortunately, after seeing photos of the failed wheel, someone mistook them for HREs (all black 5-spoke wheels look the same, right?) and before you knew it, word was all over the internet about "HRE failure" when there never was an HRE failure. They already did have "their act cleaned-up," way before the thread/"news" hit.

Someone clearly had an agenda or an axe to grind with HRE, or possibly made an honest mistake, but the damage was done.To this day they have a black eye for it. Sucks.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Kinesis also has a good reputation and they probably cleaned up the problem swiftly. At any rate, Sevas doesn't seem to understand the concept that quality and reputation = good business.
Old 12-12-08, 07:33 AM
ForgedWhee
Driver School Candidate

Where does it say there is a problem with their 3 piece wheels? from the picture i see in the post that is not a 3 piece wheel.

Quick Reply: Sevas WHeels