Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Question about new rims, tires and tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 05:30 PM
CBG
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about new rims, tires and tire pressure sensors

I just ordered new rims and tires for my car ("05" SC 430) with new tp sensors from Tirerack.com and I was wondering if any of you guys or gals have ordered new rims and sensors from tire rack.com before? When you got your new rims have the sensors worked for your car without having to take them to the dealer for programing the new sensers? When I ordered the rims, tires and sensors they knew what make, model and year my car is.
I was just wondering about that.

Thanks, Cliff
Old 11-20-08, 08:46 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tirerack will send you a paper listing the codes for the four sensors. The new sensors have to be programmed into the ECU. (The ECU will not "learn" the new codes automatically) Call around to different toyota dealerships and see who gives you the best price to program in the codes. Lexus will get you for over $100 but it only takes a few minutes.

Several members were able to have it done via that route for alot less money.

steviej
Old 11-21-08, 09:17 AM
CBG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steviej
Tirerack will send you a paper listing the codes for the four sensors. The new sensors have to be programmed into the ECU. (The ECU will not "learn" the new codes automatically) Call around to different toyota dealerships and see who gives you the best price to program in the codes. Lexus will get you for over $100 but it only takes a few minutes.

steviej

Thank You steviej for the quick response. I went this morning to the tire shop that the rims, tires and sensors are getting shipped to and asked them about it and they said they can can do the programming.
One more question. Do the tires need to be off the rim so the sensors can be programmed? I ask this because the tires and rims and sensors are getting shipped already mounted and balanced because it was free from Tirerack.com, were as if it was done by the tire shop it would have coast me extra for mounting and balancing.
Old 11-21-08, 09:20 AM
CBG
Pole Position

steviej

Thank You steviej for the quick response. I went this morning to the tire shop that the rims, tires and sensors are getting shipped to and asked them about it and they said they can can do the programming.
One more question for you I forgot to ask the tire shop. Do the tires need to be off the rim so the sensors can be programmed? I ask this because the tires, rims and sensors are getting shipped already mounted and balanced because it was free from Tirerack.com, were as if it was done by the tire shop it would have coast me extra for mounting and balancing.

Last edited by CBG; 11-21-08 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-21-08, 08:32 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nope. all the information needed for programming them into "Set B" should be on the paper that TireRack will send with the package. No need to unmount the new tires to get at the sensors.

steviej
Old 11-22-08, 03:27 AM
CBG
Pole Position

nope. all the information needed for programming them into "Set B" should be on the paper that TireRack will send with the package. No need to unmount the new tires to get at the sensors.

steviej
Thank You again steviej for your help. I see you are not too far away from me. Hopefully I can meet you next year at a meet and shake your hand in person and say thanks.