Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-08, 07:27 AM
LarryF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

I want to get new tires (not run flats), and my dealer is recommending Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 245-40-18. Is anyone running on these and how do you like them? They're pretty pricey, so I'd like to get a user's opinion before shelling out the big bucks. Thanks!
Old 09-21-08, 07:33 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ran these and really liked them but the noise is pretty bad after the brake in period. There are better options out the like the Toyo Versado (very quiet), Bridgestone RE960 A/S (great grip but a little noisy), and the Yokohama A4.

The deal likes the Michelin because they generally have the in stock and can make some good profits on them.
Old 09-21-08, 10:34 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryF
I want to get new tires (not run flats), and my dealer is recommending Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 245-40-18. Is anyone running on these and how do you like them? They're pretty pricey, so I'd like to get a user's opinion before shelling out the big bucks. Thanks!
I have had them on since June and have put on about 3500 miles.
I totally love them. They are still very quiet. They were pricey but I looked around and found the package price from the dealer in the end was just a tab more than other shops or online. Great in rain and on dry pavement, but I can't speak to snow.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 09-21-08 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-21-08, 05:04 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

I had the dealer take off the crappy Turanza ER33's and put these on instead. They managed to scratch all 4 of my 18" wheels, so they had to pay to get them all repainted.
They have been good but are noisy on concrete freeways only. Read the tirerack's test on these, they run around 5th in their best A/S tires. The best A/S tires are the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 I believe, that I just put on our '03 BMW 540iT. Unfortunately, they dont make both sizes for the staggered fitment on the IS350, or I would have bought these instead. These tires are really, really, good! Sticky, quiet, sticky in the rain.
No tires except good snow tires will work best in the snow. The Michelin A/S rated higher in the light snow than most others I believe, but again, how much is light snow, etc..
Good luck with your choice..
DanF
Old 09-21-08, 07:15 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Plus?

I saw the word Plus in the OP's title so I went to check TireRack and there is a Pilot Sport A/S AND a Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Too cool!

To the OP, did the dealer mention that it was a new model tire? Just curious cuz there aren't any reviews yet on TR
Old 09-22-08, 06:06 AM
LarryF
Rookie

First - thanks to everyone for their feedback - it was very helpful.

As for TripleL's question, the dealer wanted to sell me the Pilot Sport, but when I checked prices at Costco they recommended the Plus, which is a new tire that comes with a 45,000 mile warranty. I figured I'd go for the Plus rather than the older model.
Old 09-22-08, 09:44 AM
dereks
Driver School Candidate

I am in the same boat. My IS350 has the stock ER33 on them, the fronts at at 1/32 after 31k freeway miles. So I wanted to get new tires. I am moving to Seattle in a few months and want something that will perform in the rain as well as dry weather.

I had been thinking about the GY Eagle F1-AS but read that they were really loud.

I would love to get the Bridgestone RE960 A/S but they don't make the rear size 255/40/18.

So now I am considering Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, there are no reviews of this new model on TireRack...

The dealer wants to put the ER33's back on. Sigh.. what to do?
Old 09-22-08, 01:29 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Default Derek -

Anything would be better than the Summer Only ER33's in Seattle, trust me on this one. That is exactly why I got the Pilot Sport A/Seasons. You will not like the sound they make on these concrete freeways if you have to drive them a long ways. Aside from the noise, they perfrom flawlessly for what they are. If you travel into snow country with regularity, you may need to get some cable chains for them, or if its serious snow, you would want dedicated snow tires on another set of rims.
We get serious snow at the Pass every year, and people without the right tires crash there all the time or are turned back by chain control. If you have no plans to ever get into that white stuff, well then the Pilot Sport A/S would do great in the rain.
I am working on the noise issue right now, have done alot of research on how to quiet it down without having to resort to tearing out the entire car and placing heavy, expensive noise blockers like Dyanamat, Second Skin, etc.. Already been there and done that on a couple of trucks. Am researching a liquid product that dries hard and absorbs noise vibrations and turns them into harmless heat, with way less weight and expense. I am going to try this out in all 4 fenderwells and see how it does. Might have to think about doing the entire bottom of the vehicle in addition, dont know yet.
Be glad to help you out when you get up to Seattle if you wish, I live in Bellevue which is a little south and east of Seattle proper. Let me know how we can help you out, PM is fine too.
Good luck with your choice, I will report how the sound deadening of fenderwells goes, once I make the decision on product and get it done.
Wish I had a Db meter handy to have as a baseline... When is Christmas ??
DanF