Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

225/55/16 stock 96 SC300 tire suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-08, 05:41 PM
bspecmr2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 225/55/16 stock 96 SC300 tire suggestions

I'm in the market for a new set of tires for my 96 SC300.
I'd like a tire that has above average ride quality, while providing proper traction for the 3600lbs beast of a coupe.

I have never purchased tires for this car before. It came with a set of Yokos that have been discontinued already and they have uneven wear also. Add the fact that they're out of balance and this all equals to me not wanting to wait too long before replacing them.

I have previous experience with Falken Azenis and have nothing but good things to say about them. Thread wear is expected for such a sticky tire. I've driven both RT-215 and RT-615s. However I do not feel that they are proper tires for the SC300. The weight of the car will wear them out even faster than my supercharged mr2 did.
I have also experience with Bridgestone Potenza S03 pole positions. Excellent tire, but albeit, not available anymore.
Another tire I would take into consideration is the BFGoodrich G-force sport. It does ride rough and have a stiff sidewall, so maybe not a very good choice, but it may provide adequate handling.
I'm looking at the cheapest tire on the market as well, the Sumitomo HTR-Z. It comes at less than 1/2 the price of a Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S but I'm worried that the ride quality of the SC300 will suffer a lot from that tire, even if kept at stock size.
I am open to trying out the Falken FK-452 as I have heard good things about it as well.

I would like to hear what fellow SC300/400 owners are running and any suggestions from personal experience. I am not too crazy about spending over $100 per tire at this point since I am a full time student.

Thank you in advance for the suggestions.
Old 08-22-08, 06:05 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Sounds like you want something with a higher speed rating. The Yokohamas you are most likely talking about might be the YK420 which have been discontinued. The tire that replaced those are the YK520 which come in H and V speed ratings. The YK520 is also warrantied for 60,000 miles by the manufacturer which is better than most brands. The only thing I dont like about it is its asimetrical tread design. I was always more into directional tires with high speed ratings. Just keep in mind, the higher the speed rating the less of a possibility that the tire will come with a mileage warranty.
Old 08-22-08, 06:29 PM
bspecmr2
Driver School Candidate

Well, speed rating is not really of concern as I rarely go above the speed limit and this car will probably never see track action.
I have ran aggressive direction and asymmetrical tires before on my mr2s and I have no problem with that, but it doesn't seem to match the character of this car as well as it did in the mid engine rwd mr2.
I just went out to look at what model yokohamas I have and .. yes, they are the YK420. I also was unpleasantly surprised to find a big nail/hard wire sticking through the edge of the thread and out the sidewall on the rear passenger side.
Mileage warranty is also of no concern since the tires will be purchased online and with no warranty.
I just want to be able to rotate them to get the maximum life.
So far from all the reading I've done on tires in the stock size, the falken fk-452 seems like a good choice.
Old 08-22-08, 09:33 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bspecmr2
Well, speed rating is not really of concern as I rarely go above the speed limit and this car will probably never see track action.
I have ran aggressive direction and asymmetrical tires before on my mr2s and I have no problem with that, but it doesn't seem to match the character of this car as well as it did in the mid engine rwd mr2.
I just went out to look at what model yokohamas I have and .. yes, they are the YK420. I also was unpleasantly surprised to find a big nail/hard wire sticking through the edge of the thread and out the sidewall on the rear passenger side.
Mileage warranty is also of no concern since the tires will be purchased online and with no warranty.
I just want to be able to rotate them to get the maximum life.
So far from all the reading I've done on tires in the stock size, the falken fk-452 seems like a good choice.
The FK452 is really a cheap cheap tire...

why are you so set on buying online? tires are one of those things that you are usually better off getting locally, so you can get things like free rotations and flat repairs...

the replacement YK520 is a pretty good tire, available at Discount Tire only... you might also look into the Firestone Firehawk GT and Bridgestone G019 for relatively inexpensive, good lasting, well wearing tires...
Old 08-22-08, 10:22 PM
bspecmr2
Driver School Candidate

I was hoping that you'd catch my drift about the cheap tires and buying online.
I can't afford the tires I like (michelin ps2, bridgestone pole positions, etc.)
Buying online will save me on the initial cost. I don't plan on buying warranty either to cut cost, which is a little silly. I know a place that will do a 4 tire installation and balance for $60 and another $60 for alignment.
Discount tire/America's Tires can not offer me a tire I would actually consider buying for under $600 installed and i still have to spend $60 on the alignment.

It all boils down to cost in my case. The best tire i can get for this car, for the least amount of money. Either compromise on the quality of the tire, or the price. I do not want to install the cheapest tire I can get my hands on. I have more respect for the car than that, but I can not afford to buy one of the best tires either. There has to be a midway compromise somewhere. I was feeling the FK-452 as it's 88/ea at vulcantire + shipping and I've read a lot of good reviews on that tire coming from bmw and audi owners.
the lexus community seems to favor michelin and bridgestone tires as a general rule of thumb. Both brands are out of my price range, especially if purchased locally at retail price w/ warranty.
Old 08-22-08, 10:31 PM
bspecmr2
Driver School Candidate

On a side note, I do not want all season tires. I never go up to the snow and rain is practically a non issue here in San Diego with ultra high performance summer tires if you drive sensibly.
I also don't care for threadwear as long as the tire provides proper grip (thus why I have previously enjoyed 4 sets of Falken Azenis RT on another car). Grippy tires wear out fast and that is okay. I'd rather be safe and change tires a little more often, than drive on hard rubber that compromises grip.
I guess I demand too much for little money.