Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

SSR Competition Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-02, 08:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Default SSR Competition Wheels

Anyone have experience with SSR Competition wheels? I keep looking at these, but don't know much about the brand or how they'll work on a GS.

Link to More Detailed Pics of Wheels

What I like about them:
- very lightweight (17x9.5 size is 15.6 lbs, I'd get 18s)
- not on a bunch of other GSs
- anthracite color (I like Darth Vader-type evil look for cars)

My concerns:
1) unknown on quality and fit on GS (as of this post).
2) I want wheels that don't have ongoing problems with alignment or balance
3) I want wheels that will support either a Supra or AP Racing brake upgrade in the future
4) may be a little too dark and make my black GS look bland. They do have a chrome lip, but it's not super fat.

Dexter and I were both thinking about these a while back and he also had a post about how they'd look on his car. I've done a few powerpoint mockups on my GS, and GlobeCLK posted a pic of a white GS with a Fortuna bodykit that appears to have very similar wheels in the GS forum that I think looks pretty good--> link.

Any of you wheel experts have some thoughts on the above (or other considerations)? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Attached Images  

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-13-02 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-13-02, 08:56 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey dave,

SSR of japan quality is top notch. just verify with tyrerack for fittment. but i do think that this color on BLK car would be too dark, imho..

for this and any other wheel, just make sure you ask for supra fittment, or BIG break Caliper fittment for clearance when you purchase rims.
Old 02-13-02, 08:58 PM
Wheel Experts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can do those in 17x8.5/17x9.5 or 18x8.5/18x9.5. I think the 18s would look better. I can do a set of 18s for 1800 plus shipping.

The SSR wheel is made in Japan using semi-solid forging technology. It is VERY good quality.
Old 02-13-02, 10:07 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the Fortuna I posted has Volk Racing LE37Ts, but they look similar in a way (6 spokes).

I made these a while ago...
Old 02-13-02, 10:09 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

here they are
Attached Thumbnails SSR Competition Wheels-blue-gs-ssr-competition.jpg  
Old 02-14-02, 04:50 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks Globe - here are the couple I did, not nearly as good as yours. The first one I think the wheels may be a bit too big (more like 20's).

I thought the wheels on the Fortuna kit car were visually quite similar as I compared them.... What's different about them? Can you get the Volk's for the GS and do they come in 19"? The SSR's only go up to 18".

Lee - I would definitely go for the 18's, the 17" would look too small.
Attached Thumbnails SSR Competition Wheels-davegs4-neighborhood-side-new-wheels.jpg  
Old 02-14-02, 05:01 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

and the second.
Attached Thumbnails SSR Competition Wheels-davegs4-house-new-wheels.jpg  
Old 02-14-02, 07:47 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
SSR very high quality rims! Are u and Dex gonna do the same thing?
Hehehe - nope.

Shhhh - be vewy vewy qwuiet - I got a wheel/tire setup I'm trying to finalize right now; hopefully I'll have 'em mounted for our track event so I can see real world performance data, but possibly not, so I'll disclose details then......

Old 02-14-02, 08:39 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

I had no idea these rims were so light.

Globe, Manaray --

How do these compare to Volk Te-37's in terms of weight (same size and width)?

-Do Volk Te-37's go any higher than 18"?

-What's the difference between Le-37T's and Te-37s? They look pretty similar to me?

I still think Volk's line of super light weight rims looks better than this SSR model, but if the SSR is great quality too at a cheaper price, it may be a bargain.
Old 02-14-02, 11:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Sick - no, wouldn't do that... especially since we're in the same city.

Int -

Wheel weights I've found for Volks seems to be similar (for a skinnier set, haven't found an exact comparitor):

Volk TE37 Forged 17x7.5 15
Volk TE37 Forged 18x7.5 17

18x8.5 19 lbs
Old 02-14-02, 12:05 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DaveGS4
I thought the wheels on the Fortuna kit car were visually quite similar as I compared them.... What's different about them? Can you get the Volk's for the GS and do they come in 19"? The SSR's only go up to 18".
They ARE pretty similar from a distance...... both are gunmetallic color and with polished lip. I think both only go up to 18s...... That's how majority of Japanese racing wheels are, 17s and 18s that can go REALLY WIDE (like GT-N which goes all the way to 18x13!)

Originally posted by Intellexual
I had no idea these rims were so light.

Globe, Manaray --

How do these compare to Volk Te-37's in terms of weight (same size and width)?

-Do Volk Te-37's go any higher than 18"?

-What's the difference between Le-37T's and Te-37s? They look pretty similar to me?

I still think Volk's line of super light weight rims looks better than this SSR model, but if the SSR is great quality too at a cheaper price, it may be a bargain.
Weight........ TE37 was famous for light weight, but I think the Competitions would be alittle lighter than LE37Ts. I don't have any proof, but both are pretty light and the difference might be minimal. Maybe Manaray can give more info.

TE37s and LE37Ts both go only to 18s.

LE37 is a line of wheels from Volk. Like their SE37 line which has SE37A and SE37K, LE37 has LE37A LE37K LE37T and LE37W. SEs are gold/bronze, and the LEs can be had in silver or gunmetal (and sometimes gold). Think of each suffix (A K T W) as a different design. A = 18 spoke mesh, K = 16 spoke mesh, T = TE37 style 6 spoke, W = 5 hole dish.

SSRs are ALOT cheaper than VOLKs generally, unless you include SSR GT-3s. I personally would take VOLK wheels, but both brands are great and you can't go wrong with either one.

LE37A LE37K

LE37T LE37W
Attached Thumbnails SSR Competition Wheels-le-series.jpg  
Old 02-14-02, 01:21 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I wouldn't do it on black

Check in with Brent (Bliu) he had gunmetal rims on his black GS and didn't like them, always looked like the wheels are covered in brake dust. I actually test mounted one on my GS at the dealer, didn't like it..it does give that stealth look from one perspective, but I couldn't over the dirty look (other perspective).

I think he's got some before and after pics as well, not photoshopped.
Old 02-14-02, 06:57 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

I think Brent wouldn't have changed the color of the wheels on his car if his wheels had some nice polished lips. Dark centers on wheels look nice when the wheel has a some sort of contrast color lip (brushed or polished)...otherwise, it has the 'spare wheel' look that Brent loves SO MUCH!

LE's have lips, TE's don't...

I also don't have any hard numbers on the weights buy I'm with Globe, I think the SSR's are lighter...it has less material from the looks of it...everythin else, what Globe said...
Old 02-15-02, 04:43 PM
BadBtsz4u
Lead Lap

Dave, from your photoshop job I actually think that the black ssr's look tight and will look good if you get em.I would go for it,honestly.
Old 02-15-02, 06:15 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by manaray
I think Brent wouldn't have changed the color of the wheels on his car if his wheels had some nice polished lips. Dark centers on wheels look nice when the wheel has a some sort of contrast color lip (brushed or polished)...otherwise, it has the 'spare wheel' look that Brent loves SO MUCH!

LE's have lips, TE's don't...

I also don't have any hard numbers on the weights buy I'm with Globe, I think the SSR's are lighter...it has less material from the looks of it...everythin else, what Globe said...
yeah black car with dark color rim is okay....... but you NEED some polished lips to add the contrast........ or else the spare effect

Quick Reply: SSR Competition Wheels