Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

loud tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-08, 01:36 PM
rozGS430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default loud tires?

i have the original factory yokohama tires on my 07 GS430 and just rolled 20k miles yesterday. last week a buddy of mine was in the car with me. we had the air on and the windows up and he made a comment on how loud my tires were at like 45 MPH on a side road. then we hit the turnpike and were running about 75 MPH and he said something again. i get in the car with my lady friend this past weekend and made the same drive and she mentioned it, too...without me even saying anything to her.

my questions: how many miles has anyone who has these tires been able to run on them before they needed to be replaced? is the fact that the tires are noisier now mean that they are in need of being replaced? this guy mentioned to me that the tires may need to be balanced and that is what may be causing the louder tire noise.

thanks in advance!
Old 08-04-08, 01:54 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rozGS430
i have the original factory yokohama tires on my 07 GS430 and just rolled 20k miles yesterday. last week a buddy of mine was in the car with me. we had the air on and the windows up and he made a comment on how loud my tires were at like 45 MPH on a side road. then we hit the turnpike and were running about 75 MPH and he said something again. i get in the car with my lady friend this past weekend and made the same drive and she mentioned it, too...without me even saying anything to her.

my questions: how many miles has anyone who has these tires been able to run on them before they needed to be replaced? is the fact that the tires are noisier now mean that they are in need of being replaced? this guy mentioned to me that the tires may need to be balanced and that is what may be causing the louder tire noise.

thanks in advance!
Sounds like your tires are cupped. 20k miles seems like a reasonable mileage for replacement of these types of tires. Frequest rotations, 4-wheel alignments and balancing checks/adjustments may have stretched it 5-10k miles but would've cost you a few hundred $ anyways.
Old 08-04-08, 05:53 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure if you search you will find more than you ever wanted to wade through on loud tires. The comments above are on the mark. Modern tires, especially performance tires, howl too much for most people long before they wear out. Cupping is the cause most often given for the noise and 20K is a pretty good amount of miles if you are just noticing it now. Balancing won't change the noise level much if at all.
Old 08-05-08, 12:41 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, performance summer tires like you have get loud as they wear even if they have worn evenly. 20K miles is probably about all you can expect. Next time around replace them with some all season tires that have a good ride quality and you will be happier.
Old 08-08-08, 09:25 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

ive been running summer tires for over a year now an its pleasent to my ears..

Try luxury type tires.. IE Nitto Invo.