Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Certificate For Free Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-08, 11:03 AM
KIEUGS3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Certificate For Free Replacement

Anyone ever buy tires from Discount Tire Direct online? and bought the Certificate For Free Replacement?

Is it a sucker warranty sale? or is it really a good idea?

If anyone has actually bought and redeemed this certificate, please let me know how it really works, and if you think its really worth the extra 25 bucks per tire.

Thanks!!

heres the details from their website:
Certificate For Free Replacement

We'd like to thank you for being a Discount Tire Direct customer. We would also like you to know that we are proud of the fact that we offer the best tire warranty in the business. We are the only mail order Tire Company to offer a tire replacement certificate. This certificate covers any type of tire purchased from us, except racing tires. If any tire fails due to a defect or incurs a puncture that cannot be repaired, Discount Tire Direct will replace the tire FREE of charge. This is extremely affordable, and if you use it just once it will pay for itself. How does this all work?

How You Are Covered
In the event one of your tires fails due to a defect or incurs a puncture that cannot be repaired, and there is at least 3/32" of tread depth across the tire, and is less than 3 years from the date of purchase, Discount Tire Direct will replace it absolutely FREE, including the freight to you. This is regardless of how many miles you've put on them. We have been selling this warranty for 28 years. Nobody in the industry can beat this deal!

How To Redeem The Certificate
You have two ways you can redeem this certificate. You can purchase the replacement* tire and we will send it to you by UPS ground service. After you have installed the new tire, send us the damaged tire. After inspection** you will be credited in full for the cost of the tire and the UPS ground freight. You can also send us the damaged tire first and, after inspection**, Discount Tire Direct will immediately send out a replacement* tire at no charge. It's that easy!

Note: The customer is responsible for the freight cost of returning the damaged tire to Discount Tire Direct.

How To Purchase The Certificate
If you have already purchased the certificate, drive confidently knowing you have the best warranty in the business. If you have not, you have 30 days from the date of purchase to buy the certificate. Give our courteous staff a call at 800-589-6789 and tell them you would like to buy the Discount Tire Direct certificate for free replacement. Remember, the sooner you call, the sooner you're covered.

* In the event the registered tire (or tires) is discontinued or not available, a tire of similar value will be substituted.

** This certificate does not cover abnormal tire wear. Misalignment, suspension problems, or improper inflation may cause abnormal tire wear. Nor does it cover damage caused by collision, vandalism, or willful abuse.
Old 07-18-08, 08:19 AM
KIEUGS3
Driver

any one? No one has ever bought this certificate?
Old 07-18-08, 10:26 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought it. Seemed like a pretty good idea with these crappy Colorado roads.
Old 07-18-08, 01:28 PM
KIEUGS3
Driver

Originally Posted by OneJay
I bought it. Seemed like a pretty good idea with these crappy Colorado roads.
Have you ever had to use the certificate yet? and if so, how was the process? any headaches or issues with the company when trying to redeem the certificate?

Thanks
Old 07-18-08, 05:51 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

when I worked for Discount Tire, it was an awesome way to really take care of our customers... it's a 100% free replacement, and we have something similar at Firestone now...

I do not know how well it works via mail, but in person, it's great, any tire warranty is great...
Old 07-19-08, 08:15 AM
KIEUGS3
Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
when I worked for Discount Tire, it was an awesome way to really take care of our customers... it's a 100% free replacement, and we have something similar at Firestone now...

I do not know how well it works via mail, but in person, it's great, any tire warranty is great...
Is there any "Fine Print" that I should know about?
Old 07-19-08, 05:19 PM
deejay
Driver

I've been going through Discount Tire for about 10 years and they have always been more than helpful. I only purchase the certificates for my daily driver. I have had to "redeem" on more than a few occasions. Each time was real straight forward no questions asked. You have to remember they will only replace if the tire is unrepairable.

I don't remember if there is a time lapse expiration.
Old 07-19-08, 05:36 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

no fine print, replace if not repairable or defective for any reason... just make sure it's not an alignment issue or something along those lines... in the store, we never really went by the 3 year rule... tire must also have the 3/32 minimum...

I've never bought tire warranties, as I get some damn good deals on tires, but anyone that doesn't get the kind of prices I do on tires definitely should buy the warranty... it doesn't always pay off, it's like insurance... nice to have if you need it for sure...
Old 07-19-08, 06:10 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I buy from Discount Tire and usually buy the replacement certificates. Recently my son (with a 4Runner) had a nail close to the unrepairable area of the tire and I learned that even with plenty of tread left there is a time limit on the replacement certificates. He was ust within the time but they were more agreeable than usual on repairing the tire since they would be paying for it. I sometimes think they are pretty quick to deem a tire nonrpairable. Another son had some big/expensive tires on a Tahoe all of which I think were replaced without question due to nails even with pretty substantial wear.

Dave Mac
Old 07-20-08, 06:01 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I buy from Discount Tire and usually buy the replacement certificates. Recently my son (with a 4Runner) had a nail close to the unrepairable area of the tire and I learned that even with plenty of tread left there is a time limit on the replacement certificates. He was ust within the time but they were more agreeable than usual on repairing the tire since they would be paying for it. I sometimes think they are pretty quick to deem a tire nonrpairable. Another son had some big/expensive tires on a Tahoe all of which I think were replaced without question due to nails even with pretty substantial wear.

Dave Mac
that whole repair thing is all liability related... imagine if a puncture was in a questionable area, and they repaired it, and it failed... injuring someone, killing someone, etc... not only would it suck to cause something like that, but in this day and age, the monetary aspect of it is huge as well... safer to replace than repair, cheaper to replace than repair when you consider all the ramifications of a potentially questionable repair...
Old 07-20-08, 09:32 AM
deejay
Driver

Through my experience, if you even drive on a flat tire, that ruins the belting and thus needs to be replaced.
Old 07-20-08, 09:34 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by deejay
Through my experience, if you even drive on a flat tire, that ruins the belting and thus needs to be replaced.
correct - evidenced by a heat ring on the sidewall of the tire...
Old 07-24-08, 06:42 AM
LexFather

I've used it before. One of my crappy Falkens got bumps the size of fists in the sidewall. I took it to Tire Discount and they ordered the new one and replaced it for free.

CATCH, you have to buy ANOTHER certificate for the REPLACED tire.

Overall I'm happy with Tire Discount.
Old 07-25-08, 06:03 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I've used it before. One of my crappy Falkens got bumps the size of fists in the sidewall. I took it to Tire Discount and they ordered the new one and replaced it for free.

CATCH, you have to buy ANOTHER certificate for the REPLACED tire.

Overall I'm happy with Tire Discount.
Actually, you don't have to purchase another warranty... Only if you want the new tire to be covered, do you have to purchase it... If, for some reason, you were selling the car, or whatever, you don't have to buy a new warranty in order to have the current tire replaced...
Old 07-25-08, 08:37 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had that warranty thru tirerack. you just have to go to one of their authorized dealers to have them look at the tire, they call tire rack, and have it sent to the shop. easy as pie

Quick Reply: Certificate For Free Replacement