Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Rubber mallet to fix slight bend?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-08, 09:49 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by excluesive
if you can get me that info it would be awesome
The name of the warehouse/factory is Team 3 wheels in San Leandro, CA. I don't know if that helps much since you're out in NY.
Old 07-17-08, 10:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

305ish degrees F isnt nearly enough to hurt the chrome, your brakes can get hotter than that quite easily...
Old 07-18-08, 01:32 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
305ish degrees F isnt nearly enough to hurt the chrome, your brakes can get hotter than that quite easily...
That's not direct heat though.
Old 07-18-08, 05:32 AM
MythBuster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sleeper

The reason I said 150 deg c is because the chrome will change color at 250c in open air.

Any elevation in temperature will help prevent damage to the physical properties. Cold rolling at 150 is different than cold rolling at room temperature.

There are some cheap electrical elements that you can use to heat the wheel . You can buy home made circuits to control the temperature and experiment on a scrap piece of chrome, but I am sure 150 is safe for chrome.
Old 07-18-08, 09:45 PM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by MythBuster
Sleeper

The reason I said 150 deg c is because the chrome will change color at 250c in open air.

Any elevation in temperature will help prevent damage to the physical properties. Cold rolling at 150 is different than cold rolling at room temperature.

There are some cheap electrical elements that you can use to heat the wheel . You can buy home made circuits to control the temperature and experiment on a scrap piece of chrome, but I am sure 150 is safe for chrome.
Thank you. This helps clear things up a bit. So do you know if most shops do cold rolling at room temperature or not?
Old 07-24-08, 12:03 PM
sleeper408

Update: I got the wheel fixed. The chrome didn't flake off but there are hairline cracks that are only visible up close. I am very happy because their turn around time was only 1 day. I ended up having 3 more very very slight bends (not visible to the naked eye, well maybe a very discerning one) on the inner barrell and they fixed that at no extra charge. Oh, and they waived the charge for mounting/balancing. I am very happy I got my chrome lip fixed for only $95. It would have cost me $450 (and a month wait) had I gone elsewhere.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.
Old 05-14-15, 07:02 AM
JYinKY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Update: I got the wheel fixed. The chrome didn't flake off but there are hairline cracks that are only visible up close. I am very happy because their turn around time was only 1 day. I ended up having 3 more very very slight bends (not visible to the naked eye, well maybe a very discerning one) on the inner barrell and they fixed that at no extra charge. Oh, and they waived the charge for mounting/balancing. I am very happy I got my chrome lip fixed for only $95. It would have cost me $450 (and a month wait) had I gone elsewhere.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.
Can i ask where you took your wheels to have the bends fixed? Do you have their contact info?
Old 02-13-19, 07:22 PM
jojrsweat
8th Gear

Default Bent rim?

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Hello all, I did a poor inspection upon purchasing some wheels and just realized that one of the wheels has a slight bend on the outer lip. I just waited 4 weeks to get another wheel fixed and re-chromed. I really don't want to wait around to get this wheel fixed also.

Would I be able to reshape the slight bend to make it look better? It's more of an eyesore than anything. The tire still holds air fine and balances fine. I was planning on putting a terry cloth towel over the chrome lip and then giving it a few strikes with the rubber mallet. Would I even be able to generate enough force to reshape it? I remember an old thread of a different member who tried to DIY with his bends. I think he used a regular hammer though??

Any thoughts or advice?

Theo
I've managed to get bends out w/o damaging the wheel worse. Order a Dayton hammer, it's a lead hammer, so when you pound the dent over & over the lead gets deformed & saves the chrome & alloy.

Before....

12 o'clock is where it was. After....
One thing I forgot to add.... rubber is way too soft. A Dayton hammer is used to pound a knock off onto a true wire wheel I.e. Dayton wire wheels. Obviously, stop if u begin to see signs of stress. Good luck in the future.

Last edited by jojrsweat; 02-13-19 at 07:49 PM. Reason: One thing I forgot to add....