Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Taking apart 3pc rim

Old 06-24-08, 12:30 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Taking apart 3pc rim

Hey guys im going to take my rims in for painting, but i want to take just the center piece apart so i dont have to bring the rims with it.

I did some search and some people say that the torx screw has to be torqued to a certain lbs or else it is not safe. Is this true? I also read from a post that the screw is suppose to be retightened every year or else it is not safe. If this is true, where do i find the torque specification?

I would like to know because i hate carrying rims around because everytime i do that, ill find new nicks/scratches or something by the time i bring my rims home. thanks guys
Old 06-24-08, 12:48 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

that is true about the torque specs and alot of wheel manufactures do not give this information out for safety and warranty reasons. I know volks are about 19 ft/lbs
Old 06-24-08, 01:31 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

humm so i cant even call the manufacture and ask for the spec?
Old 06-24-08, 01:33 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

you can try, I know people that have tried w/o any luck
Old 06-24-08, 02:49 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

how does the rim repair shop do it then?
Old 06-24-08, 03:16 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about thread lock on wheel bolts?

I ask because I plan on dismantling a set of Blitz Type 03 wheels to have the centers powder coated. After realizing the bolts are simply 12pt hex sockets, I screamed because I thought I needed a special tool.
Old 06-24-08, 05:30 PM
aristo2369
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
Hey guys im going to take my rims in for painting, but i want to take just the center piece apart so i dont have to bring the rims with it.

I did some search and some people say that the torx screw has to be torqued to a certain lbs or else it is not safe. Is this true? I also read from a post that the screw is suppose to be retightened every year or else it is not safe. If this is true, where do i find the torque specification?

I would like to know because i hate carrying rims around because everytime i do that, ill find new nicks/scratches or something by the time i bring my rims home. thanks guys
i have a set of maido gr5 that i want to take aprt but a guy was going to charge me like 200 a wheels. im good with tools so if i have to buy the tools i wont mind but i heard you have to re-seal the rim? i dont know but i would love to get my wheels re painted. I called DAZZ and said that they were japan specs and there were made by enkie, so i dont know but i would love to find a answer.
Old 06-24-08, 08:41 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Traditionally, three piece wheels have the barrels welded together and sealed from the factory. When you pull the screws out and separate the face from the barrel, the seal is not broken.
Old 06-24-08, 11:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by shern
Traditionally, three piece wheels have the barrels welded together and sealed from the factory. When you pull the screws out and separate the face from the barrel, the seal is not broken.
ehh, im pretty sure you're thinking of 2pc wheels that have the 2 barrel pieces welded together and bolt to the face.

my 3pc. HREs (still for sale btw ) come completely apart, not welded.
my Mayas/Trafficstars are 2pc, with the configuration previously mentioned.
Old 06-24-08, 11:48 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

No he's talking about a welded 3 piece, which act just like a bolt on two piece.

welded 3 piece don't need to be resealed with silicon (two barrel pieces are welded while the face is bolted on) .

other non welded 3 piece are all held together by bolts, this requires a silicon sealant between the two barrels.

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
ehh, im pretty sure you're thinking of 2pc wheels that have the 2 barrel pieces welded together and bolt to the face.

my 3pc. HREs (still for sale btw ) come completely apart, not welded.
my Mayas/Trafficstars are 2pc, with the configuration previously mentioned.
Old 06-25-08, 03:37 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by mikemareen
No he's talking about a welded 3 piece, which act just like a bolt on two piece.

welded 3 piece don't need to be resealed with silicon (two barrel pieces are welded while the face is bolted on) .

other non welded 3 piece are all held together by bolts, this requires a silicon sealant between the two barrels.
so...whats the real difference between a welded 3pc and a "2pc" ?
Old 06-25-08, 07:09 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
so...whats the real difference between a welded 3pc and a "2pc" ?
Using 2 sections to create the barrel is more expensive but gives you more options for creating different widths, offsets and lip sizes. When Rays creates a wheel, they simply combine the pieces of the wheel puzzle together from an assortment of inner barrels, outer barrels and faces to get the width, offset and lip size that you desire. It is why they offer like 10000 options on all the rims they make.

Regardless, I believe ALL 3 piece wheels have the barrels welded and sealed. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the case. Imagine if a screw came loose and the barrel split apart, losing air pressure and possible detonation of the rim.

Last edited by shern; 06-25-08 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-25-08, 11:54 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

so in short take the whole rim to have it painted?
Old 06-25-08, 12:43 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by shern
Using 2 sections to create the barrel is more expensive but gives you more options for creating different widths, offsets and lip sizes. When Rays creates a wheel, they simply combine the pieces of the wheel puzzle together from an assortment of inner barrels, outer barrels and faces to get the width, offset and lip size that you desire. It is why they offer like 10000 options on all the rims they make.

Regardless, I believe ALL 3 piece wheels have the barrels welded and sealed. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the case. Imagine if a screw came loose and the barrel split apart, losing air pressure and possible detonation of the rim.
i can guarantee you that not all 3pc wheels are welded, infact this is the first ive ever heard of welding a "3pc" wheel.

most high end 3pc wheels are bolted+sealed.
Old 06-25-08, 01:18 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I would just take the whole wheel to the shop and have them dis-assemble/re-assemble the wheels.

This thread is kind of scaring me. I have 3 piece wheels and wondering how they are truly held together. Anybody know anything about Zaubers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Taking apart 3pc rim