Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tire Rack, can you help with -

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 07:36 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Rack, can you help with -

My '08 IS 350 tires ? They are Bridgestone ER33's on 18" wheels, staggered sizes, all stock from Lexus. I have total of 26 miles on them today, all surface roads.

My issues, are - they have a 140 treadwear rating..
They are loud..
They will not work well here in the Northwest anyway if I drive in the winter, which is about 8-9 months of the year lately.

Is there a high performance all season tire that will work for this?

The freeways up here are mostly concrete, and have been ruined because the idiots run studded tires on them from like November - February.

Is there a tire that will help quiet all the noise these freeways make , and give decent wet and light snow traction ??

Given the low miles on these new ones, could I trade them in or something?

Thanks for your help !

DanF
Old 06-08-08, 09:07 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Tire Rack won't be able to help as far as trade in, and, given the sizes, I doubt that anyone else will either - they would pretty much have to go back on an IS...

That being said, I've not had a single complaint in person about those tires being loud, especially when brand new... The only time I have heard complaints about that type of tire being loud was when they were worn unevenly after not being able to rotate...

For an all-season, quiet, performance tire, look into the Bridgestone RE960AS and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S...

Being as the car is new to you, are you sure it's a noise level that is unacceptable? I don't know what you had before, but almost all lower profile, sporty tires, are going to be somewhat louder than not-so-low profile touring tires...

Treadwear rating does not mean a whole lot... By the time you were to sell those tires, buy new ones, you could have just driven them...

You really just need to move to a city down south (south Texas, for instance) and get off those bad roads you have up there... Even my old BFG KDW's that everyone says are horribly noisy aren't bad at all except on a couple of sections of freeway...
Old 06-09-08, 11:02 AM
Stokdgs
Driver

Default Thanks for the response -

I really appreciate it. Well, have driven a few Bimmers with Pilot Sports on them, 18" wheels, an '05 Acura RL with Michelins on 17" wheels, an '06 Ford -F-150 Harley Davidson Truck with 22" Pirelli P Zero Scorpions on it, and none of these vehicle's tires appear to have been as loud as these Bridgestones. Perhaps the freeways have degraded so badly since these other vehicles that nothing is going to be quieter anymore anyway..

I lived in Northern California for around 35 years, and there, the freeways are absolutely quiet, and from there, I have taken numerous drives to my home state of Texas, and the roads are quiet there too!

I was hoping there was another option for quieter tires - the quietest tires I could find that would fit on this vehicle.. Perhaps there is nothing like that.

Thanks for your help - I used to live in Corpus Christi as a kid, as well as San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, and regulary took trips to the Valley (McAllen) with my Dad to see his family there..

DanF
Old 06-10-08, 02:38 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

225/40R18 AV TECH M550 A/S XL
255/40R18 AV TECH M550 A/S XL

P225/40R18 CO EXTREME CONTACT
P255/40R18 CO EXTREME CONTACT

225/40R18 GY EAG F1 AS XL
255/40R18 GY EAG F1 AS XL

225/40R18 MI PILOT SPORT AS
255/40ZR18 MI PILOT SPORT AS

These are your choices in your size combo for quieter tires.
Old 06-10-08, 07:50 PM
BlitzIS350
Pole Position

I have the MS Pilot Sport AS and man they are getting louder and louder as the miles get put on.....is that suppose to be normal. i put on about 15k miles so far too
Old 06-10-08, 09:04 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BlitzIS350
I have the MS Pilot Sport AS and man they are getting louder and louder as the miles get put on.....is that suppose to be normal. i put on about 15k miles so far too
have you / can you rotate them?

unfortunately with cars with staggered size tires, the basic maintenance we do to prevent them from getting loud is not possible - a simple tire rotation...

couple things you can do - first - make sure the alignment is perfect... I don't just mean "in the green" I mean perfect - this is critical on cars that you cannot rotate the tires on... next, pay a couple bucks (probably $40-$80) and have the tires broken down off the wheels and swapped side to side... this is similar to a standard rotation and will help...