Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tires buying question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-08, 06:22 PM
isdreamz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires buying question

Never bought tires online but my guess is that we have them shipped direct to our local tires shop, say discount tires, and have them mount for us? Question, is it safe to have our tires with discount tires? Do we have to notify discount tires that our tires are comming? How much is the labor? Is it good to buy road hazard protection from them? Oh and do they offer free rotate if you ever need it? (I know your IS's are not meant for tires rotation) But maybe I can rotate left and right ones? Sorry for bunch of noob questions and thanks in advance .
Old 05-25-08, 06:29 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by isdreamz
Never bought tires online but my guess is that we have them shipped direct to our local tires shop, say discount tires, and have them mount for us? Question, is it safe to have our tires with discount tires? Do we have to notify discount tires that our tires are comming? How much is the labor? Is it good to buy road hazard protection from them? Oh and do they offer free rotate if you ever need it? (I know your IS's are not meant for tires rotation) But maybe I can rotate left and right ones? Sorry for bunch of noob questions and thanks in advance .
I love Tire Rack and all, but if you are going to have Discount Tire mount them, why not buy them from Discount Tire. Or Firestone... Or anyone else local...

I worked for Discount for almost 5 years, and anytime someone wanted us to match price from Tire Rack, we did it, no questions asked... Now, I am a service manager for Firestone, and I encourage my sales guys to do the same...

Again, I love Tire Rack, and buy from them on occasion for resale (I get a better than advertised price, obviously), but, if you find the tire you want on Tire Rack, and take it into a store, there's a good chance you'll drive out of there the same day with the tires installed, for the same price as Tire Rack plus shipping and mount/balance, and get the maintenance on them free because you bought them from the local store...

As far as rotating side to side, not a horrible idea - but not necessary so long as you keep the car aligned and the tires balanced...
Old 05-25-08, 06:38 PM
isdreamz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your advise. So for those of you bought tires from Tire Rack, you install them yourselves? If I have to do this myself , I prolly just buy my tires from discount tires or whatever.
Old 05-25-08, 06:50 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Thanks for your advise. So for those of you bought tires from Tire Rack, you install them yourselves? If I have to do this myself , I prolly just buy my tires from discount tires or whatever.
Unless you've got a few grand for a tire changer, and a few more for a balancer, you won't be mounting them yourself...

If you do buy them from Tire Rack, you can expect to pay $60-$80 to have them mounted and balanced pretty much anywhere you go...
Old 05-25-08, 07:08 PM
isdreamz
Driver School Candidate

...So you're saying its best to have our local store price match Tire Rack ?(if they have the tires you want) Thanks again.
Old 05-25-08, 07:23 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

...So you're saying its best to have our local store price match Tire Rack ?(if they have the tires you want) Thanks again.
its definitely the easiest and most convenient...