Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Slotted Rotor Direction?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-08, 09:15 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slotted Rotor Direction?

I installed Powerslot Rotors on my Dad's FX a few weeks back. I installed them according to the instructions that came with the rotors and the direction as shown below on the passenger side.

Lately, I've been noticing on other brands that the rotors face the opposite direction like this one on a different car...

So, do I have them going in the correct direction? I know they are two different brands, but I've been rather curious/worried since the install.
Old 05-25-08, 11:21 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not 100% certain about this but when I had my slotted rotors installed my installer asked me if I wanted the slots to face the other way for more aggressive braking... I opted for the less agressive route because it just seemed unecessary for me and I figured more aggressive = shorter life of brake pads.
Old 05-25-08, 06:41 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I can't speak for every manufacturer, but every slotted rotor I've seen and/or installed has called for the slots like the blue car you pictured...

honestly, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot...
Old 05-26-08, 07:25 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the slot direction really matters, but the vent direction is very important. Unfortunately I cannot recall off-hand which direction it should be. Can anyone chime in?
Old 05-26-08, 07:45 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think they need to be the other way. Unless I am wrong you have them installed if you where driving in reverse all the time.

another thing is does it matter that the caliper is not on the same side? That is what is throwing it off I think? The lower pic looks correct for the direction when in motion.

I would double check it..
Old 05-26-08, 07:58 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

You have them installed correctly on the FX. They are installed backwards on the blue car.

As I understand the theory behind the slots, their purpose is to allow gases caused by the heat of braking to escape. They can only escape if the slots are angled with the outer part of the slot toward the rear of the car.

I have Powerslots on both of my Lexus vehicles. They are installed in the same direction that you did the FX. As I recall, the directions that came with the rotors were quite clear on this issue.
Old 05-26-08, 08:05 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by CUMan
You have them installed correctly on the FX. They are installed backwards on the blue car.

As I understand the theory behind the slots, their purpose is to allow gases caused by the heat of braking to escape. They can only escape if the slots are angled with the outer part of the slot toward the rear of the car.

I have Powerslots on both of my Lexus vehicles. They are installed in the same direction that you did the FX. As I recall, the directions that came with the rotors were quite clear on this issue.
Incorrect... At least according to Tire Racks and Brembos instructions (which is why I said the blue car above is correct to the best of my knowledge for most brake manufacturers)

From Tire Racks website:
"Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors are sold in axle pairs and the easiest way to verify correct usage is to install the rotors on the side of the vehicle that results in the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the rotor always contacting the brake pads first."

Here's a graphic:
http://www.zeckhausen.com/how_to_pro...all_rotors.htm

Old 05-26-08, 09:41 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Perhaps Powerslot and Brembo have different ideas about which direction the slots should face. Not very logical, is it? But there are differences in the designs of the slots.

Note the direction of the slots on the Powerslot rotor marked with an "R".

http://www.shopdiesel.com/index.cfm/...uct_id/199.htm
Old 05-26-08, 10:35 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it depends on how the manufactuer makes them.
Old 05-27-08, 01:16 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by CUMan
Perhaps Powerslot and Brembo have different ideas about which direction the slots should face. Not very logical, is it? But there are differences in the designs of the slots.

Note the direction of the slots on the Powerslot rotor marked with an "R".

http://www.shopdiesel.com/index.cfm/...uct_id/199.htm
yup, well, like I said, might depend on manufacturer... in this case, it obviously does...

one thing I definitely notice is that powerslot is the only manufacturer I've seen to run the slot all the way out to the edge, most other manufacturers do not - they typically stop 5mm away from the edge of the rotor...
Old 05-27-08, 07:46 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there anything that came with the kit the OP has to see for reference? Or get on the site of the MFG to see if they have any photos on their web site for reference? last but not least call them and just ask...