Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Abnormal tire tread wear

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-08, 10:37 AM
KoSC300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Abnormal tire tread wear

Hey guys.. dont know much about tires so i thought i'd ask what you guys think.

Anybody know what would cause tire wear shown in the pics below?

Any help would be appreciated.

Overview

Abnormal Wear (inside)

Regular Wear (outside)
Old 05-16-08, 03:29 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

LoL!! go get an alignment and buy tires that fit the rims.
Old 05-16-08, 04:24 PM
J.Chimpo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like your camber is off, hence the inside edge worn badly.
Old 05-16-08, 06:54 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ummm, that is not alignment wear guys... that is a defective tire...

it appears as though that wear is not all the way around the tire, thus being only in one section...

thus meaning its a defect, plain and simple...
Old 05-17-08, 07:08 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

alignment

how do tire defects cause it to wear unevenly
Old 05-17-08, 08:33 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hope ya'll got a pen and notebook ready 'cause you're about to get taken to school...

Tire construction 101:
A tire is built in layers - many layers. Oversimplified, when putting a tire together, you put down a layer of inner liner, a fabric carcass ply, some steel belt plies, belt edge strips, then another body ply, then the tread rubber that does not have a tread design on it. This is called a "green" tire. Certain manufacturers will use this same green tire and it end up as different "brands" altogether. But back to tire construction. Once this green tire has been assigned a brand, it gets put into a mold. Once inside the mold a rubber bladder fills up inside the green tire compressing it outwards into the mold. The bladder fills up with hot water, and "cooks" the tire for a predetermined amount of time - this heat process joins all those layers of tire we just talked about. Once the tire is done cooking, it is released from the mold and allowed to cool. Then its checked for trueness, and shipped to me, or someone else for installation on your car.

Now that you know the basics of how a tire is built, you will understand the rest.

When a tire is put into service, it has to contend with heat and all kinds of things. Heat is what put the tire together, unfortunately it will take it apart too.

What happens, is that the layers start to separate from one another. Thus why we in the tire business call defects "separations, or a sepo". Almost all defects are separations. These defects in the tread and belt edge area typically start out very small. Almost no tire blows out immediately due to this type of defect. What happens is the small separation makes the outer diameter of the tire just a little bit bigger in that area. When this goes unnoticed, what you get is rapid treadwear in that area alone. Had that tire been inspected by a good tire guy prior, that may have been caught prior to getting that bad.

So anyways, the tire in question is a belt edge separation.

Now, what caused it? It might just be a defective tire, or... The vehicle might be out of alignment causing the inside edge of the tire to overheat, thus causing a separation that way, but the wear there is definitely NOT due to alignment... I see tires like that on a daily basis, and I've been doing this for a long time. I've also attended seminars given by Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Discount Tire, and Yokohama with regards to identifying defective tires and other irregular wear patterns.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
alignment

how do tire defects cause it to wear unevenly

Last edited by mitsuguy; 05-17-08 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-18-08, 10:26 PM
KoSC300
Instructor

Talk about informative. You are awesome bro!

He's right, its only on a certain section. Not the whole side.

Thanks for everyones input...

Ko

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Hope ya'll got a pen and notebook ready 'cause you're about to get taken to school...

Tire construction 101:
A tire is built in layers - many layers. Oversimplified, when putting a tire together, you put down a layer of inner liner, a fabric carcass ply, some steel belt plies, belt edge strips, then another body ply, then the tread rubber that does not have a tread design on it. This is called a "green" tire. Certain manufacturers will use this same green tire and it end up as different "brands" altogether. But back to tire construction. Once this green tire has been assigned a brand, it gets put into a mold. Once inside the mold a rubber bladder fills up inside the green tire compressing it outwards into the mold. The bladder fills up with hot water, and "cooks" the tire for a predetermined amount of time - this heat process joins all those layers of tire we just talked about. Once the tire is done cooking, it is released from the mold and allowed to cool. Then its checked for trueness, and shipped to me, or someone else for installation on your car.

Now that you know the basics of how a tire is built, you will understand the rest.

When a tire is put into service, it has to contend with heat and all kinds of things. Heat is what put the tire together, unfortunately it will take it apart too.

What happens, is that the layers start to separate from one another. Thus why we in the tire business call defects "separations, or a sepo". Almost all defects are separations. These defects in the tread and belt edge area typically start out very small. Almost no tire blows out immediately due to this type of defect. What happens is the small separation makes the outer diameter of the tire just a little bit bigger in that area. When this goes unnoticed, what you get is rapid treadwear in that area alone. Had that tire been inspected by a good tire guy prior, that may have been caught prior to getting that bad.

Now, what caused it? It might just be a defective tire, or... The vehicle might be out of alignment causing the inside edge of the tire to overheat, thus causing a separation that way, but the wear there is definitely NOT due to alignment... I see tires like that on a daily basis, and I've been doing this for a long time. I've also attended seminars given by Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Discount Tire, and Yokohama with regards to identifying defective tires and other irregular wear patterns.
Old 05-18-08, 10:43 PM
KoSC300
Instructor

Originally Posted by Emerald
LoL!! go get an alignment and buy tires that fit the rims.

Its a stock size Dunlop on a 17" 2004 TL rim.
Old 05-19-08, 05:33 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mitsuguy, very informative. Thanks for the explaination. Also teaches me how to identify a defective tire, at first glance I thought the poster had been doing some drifting on those tires which cause the edge to wear out. Something leared everyday.

Originally Posted by mitsuguy

Tire construction 101: