Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Which Falkens for an SC430

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 11:37 AM
bt430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Falkens for an SC430

I've got a dropped Sc430 that has had an ongoing tire rubbing issue. I'm running Dunlop Sport Maxx 245 35 20 in front and 285 30 20 in the rear mounted on Zone wheels 8.5" in front 10.5" in the rear. I'm not sure of the offsets but the rears were rebuilt to get it to fit a little better. Though I got great milage out of them the rubbing is constant problem so they gotta go. The manufacturer of the wheels told me the Dunlops were out of spec which is causing the rubbing, and I should have gone with Falkens or Pirellis. I'm looking at the Falken 452s but any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
BT

Last edited by bt430; 03-19-08 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-20-08, 09:14 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bt430
I've got a dropped Sc430 that has had an ongoing tire rubbing issue. I'm running Dunlop Sport Maxx 245 35 20 in front and 285 30 20 in the rear mounted on Zone wheels 8.5" in front 10.5" in the rear. I'm not sure of the offsets but the rears were rebuilt to get it to fit a little better. Though I got great milage out of them the rubbing is constant problem so they gotta go. The manufacturer of the wheels told me the Dunlops were out of spec which is causing the rubbing, and I should have gone with Falkens or Pirellis. I'm looking at the Falken 452s but any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
BT
the sport maxx doesn't even run that wide... why don't you go with a quality tire in a slightly narrower width... should take care of your rubbing problems, and essentially get you the same thing, but in a good tire instead of the falken... Bridgestone RE050's or Pilots or KDW's...
Old 03-20-08, 09:24 AM
bt430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
the sport maxx doesn't even run that wide... why don't you go with a quality tire in a slightly narrower width... should take care of your rubbing problems, and essentially get you the same thing, but in a good tire instead of the falken... Bridgestone RE050's or Pilots or KDW's...
I didn't know Falkens were not quality tires, all the reviews I've read raved about them and I was pointed to them by the wheel manufacturer. Thanks for letting me know. Are you suggesting a 235 in front and a 275 in the rear?
Old 03-20-08, 09:39 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bt430
I didn't know Falkens were not quality tires, all the reviews I've read raved about them and I was pointed to them by the wheel manufacturer. Thanks for letting me know. Are you suggesting a 235 in front and a 275 in the rear?
they aren't horrible, but there are much better options, ride quality, traction, and overall construction quality...

any of the three I posted all have better traction and build quality than the falkens, and the RE050 / Pilots will be a better ride quality as well... I like the way my BFG's ride just fine, but they are built for a more sport aspect rather than quiet / smooth...

I just ordered a set of RE050 Bridgestones... pricey, but well worth it IMO... I could have gotten Fuzions or lesser Bridgestones for about half the price, but a quality tire is always going on my cars...
Old 03-20-08, 09:44 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Granted the Falkens might not be the best in the market, but for the price they can't be beat.

I personally think ps2's are one of the best tires out there. However, for the money you spend on the falkens they perform flawlessly, I am currently running Falkens on my Sc430 and I love the ride.

If you can afford them then there should be no question, go for the PS2's

If you want a deal then the falkens should be high on your list, they are the best bang for the buck.

Oh and if you just get a tire which is a little bit narrower than your previous ones you should be ok.

What are you rubbing against?
Old 03-20-08, 09:51 AM
bt430
Pole Position

On the rear it's the fender lip. On the front the fender liner has been worn away at the 10:00 position on both sides. Every time I turn the wheel it rubs the fender liner. The rear will rub at any ride height as the tire is just too wide, even though I went from a 4" lip to a 3.5. The speculation has been that the Dunlops have a much wider shoulder than Falkens or Pirellis. So I need to look at tires that have smaller shoulders as weird as that sounds!

BT
Old 03-20-08, 12:16 PM
garcia2
Rookie

FWIW, I was able to eliminate rubbing on the front of my SC430 (20x8.5 IForged) by switching from 245/35ZR-20 Bridgestone Potenza S-03 to 225/35ZR-20 Yokohama S.drive XL. The Yokomahas run a little wide--i.e., wide shoulders--so there's only a mild stretch.

Note that the Yokomaha tires have an XL load rating.

I also replaced the Tein CS coilover springs with stiffer ones--going from 10kg/6kg to 12kg/8kg (front/rear).
Old 03-20-08, 01:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

keep in mind the 452 doesn't stretch as much as the old 451. if i were you, i would run 275 in the back on 452, that should help.

here's my take on tires. falken is on the "new" side, but they make some pretty decent stuff. i have their 451 on the sc430 and now the 452 on the ls460l. they ride very well, no issues. quiet, smooth. traction is good on try, though on wet it could be better imho.

but like others said, for the price, they are unbeatable imho.

tires are VERY disposable items imho. they wear like that especially on lowered cars. for most of the driving i do (and i bet for most people as well), i probably won't get close to the limit of the tires, etc... so to me, falken is a very good choice.

if today i want really max performance, i would get ps2 easily. but i can't justify the price at all for daily usage. the michelin pilot sport a/s is another tire that i will give big thumb up to, but it's a lot more expensive though imho you get a bit quieter ride as well as better handling. so that's a trade off.
Old 03-22-08, 06:09 AM
bt430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
keep in mind the 452 doesn't stretch as much as the old 451. if i were you, i would run 275 in the back on 452, that should help.

here's my take on tires. falken is on the "new" side, but they make some pretty decent stuff. i have their 451 on the sc430 and now the 452 on the ls460l. they ride very well, no issues. quiet, smooth. traction is good on try, though on wet it could be better imho.

but like others said, for the price, they are unbeatable imho.

tires are VERY disposable items imho. they wear like that especially on lowered cars. for most of the driving i do (and i bet for most people as well), i probably won't get close to the limit of the tires, etc... so to me, falken is a very good choice.

if today i want really max performance, i would get ps2 easily. but i can't justify the price at all for daily usage. the michelin pilot sport a/s is another tire that i will give big thumb up to, but it's a lot more expensive though imho you get a bit quieter ride as well as better handling. so that's a trade off.
Henry
Thanks for chiming in here! I was hoping you would! I ran all those pricey tires on my M5 and found them a gotta have on that car but probably a not gotta have on the SC430 due to the reasons you speak of. The rear is not bothering me as much as the front what size do you think I should go with on the front?

Thanks
BT
Old 03-22-08, 07:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah if today i own the is-f, you bad the ps2 on there all the time. but a car that i would cruise on? i think it's ok

on 8.5 and 10.5, i would probably choose 245 and 285 combo. but if you are afraid to rub in the back, i would down to 275 in the back