Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tell me the Cons of Adapters

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-08, 03:04 PM
350nub
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me the Cons of Adapters

Any1 can tell me the bad side of having HUBCENTRIC wheel spacers??
Old 02-02-08, 03:48 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hubcentric is better than non-hubcentric. Make sure it is specified for your car.

Talked about this before.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=spacers
Old 02-06-08, 03:26 PM
Shep34205
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spacers or adapters? Theres quite a difference.. spacers leave you with less stud length to tighten the lugs.. which, while popular with our neighbors down south, really isnt a very safe thing to do with stock studs... especially if you're racing.
Old 02-10-08, 04:17 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shep34205
Spacers or adapters? Theres quite a difference.. spacers leave you with less stud length to tighten the lugs.. which, while popular with our neighbors down south, really isnt a very safe thing to do with stock studs... especially if you're racing.
most spacers come with longer studs only cheap pep boys come without studs.
Old 02-10-08, 05:09 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i bought an h&r set and a ichiban set 15mm and 10mm and they both came with longer studs :]. i usually recommending if you go anything bigger than 5mm time for new studs. anything bigger than 20mm is an adapter. but most people dont have to go beyond 20mm thats like a big gap haha. if anyone wants to see pictures of my spacers just pm me

i dont really see any cons. just make sure you dont go cheap on them or you going to see your wheel fly down the streeet lol. after 60miles make sure you retighten down your lug nuts. to make sure the studs seed in right :]. i drive pretty aggressive and they seem to hold up really well. so no complaints from me
Old 02-11-08, 06:30 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

the cons of them is that they put more stress on the suspension than the car was originally designed for...things like wheel bearings, shocks, control arm bushings, and more will tend to wear faster...

it introduces one more potential point of failure, and though they usually produce good results, there are reports of them failing catastrophically...

so long as done right, you should be ok, but keep in mind the farther you move a wheels centerline out, the more dramatic of steering difference you will find... (in a bad way)
Old 02-11-08, 03:34 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it not the same as installing a lower offset wheel yet they are not talked about in the same way as people talk about spacers

I do agree, they do put more stress and might wear faster, but as long as you maintain the vehicle properly, you should be fine.
Old 02-11-08, 07:46 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Is it not the same as installing a lower offset wheel yet they are not talked about in the same way as people talk about spacers

I do agree, they do put more stress and might wear faster, but as long as you maintain the vehicle properly, you should be fine.
well, it is ~similar~ to installing a lower offset wheel in terms of alignment and vehicle handling... but, it does still add an additional potential failure point...

as far as maintaining wheel bearings, I'd like to know how that is done... they are sealed units... not saying its a horrible thing, but you get the point...