Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Taking apart a 3 piece wheel to clean the insides

Old 01-13-08, 02:12 AM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Taking apart a 3 piece wheel to clean the insides

If I have a tire mounted on a 3 piece wheel, can I remove the face to clean inside the cracks?
Old 01-15-08, 10:38 AM
lexdymndz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would suggest against it. once a three piece wheel is dissassembled it is very hard to seal them up properly to ensure that no air leaks.

if the bolts that hold the face on do not interefere seal, then you can. but when i had my wheels refinished they messed up the bolts. so you risk damaging the bolts.

if you do, make sure you torque them back to spec.
Old 01-15-08, 04:05 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lexdymndz
i would suggest against it. once a three piece wheel is dissassembled it is very hard to seal them up properly to ensure that no air leaks.

if the bolts that hold the face on do not interefere seal, then you can. but when i had my wheels refinished they messed up the bolts. so you risk damaging the bolts.

if you do, make sure you torque them back to spec.
Not only do you have to torque every bolt, you need to use a sealer before reassembling the face.
It's a lot of work. Be patient.
Old 01-15-08, 04:15 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't most 3 piece wheels have the barrels welded along with the rubber seal?
Old 01-15-08, 04:23 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shern
Don't most 3 piece wheels have the barrels welded along with the rubber seal?
If you see a multipiece wheels without bolts, it's probably welded. You see bolts, it's prbably not.
Old 01-15-08, 05:10 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Enkei and HRE wheels I have owned all were 3 piece and all of them have had the centers removed at some time. They all came apart without affecting the two rim halves.

There is so much silicon seal holding the two halves together there was no risk of them coming apart or leaking.

You won't know if the wheel you have is like this unless the tire is removed. I'd say the silicon in the wheel channel between the two rim halfs is about 1 inch wide and a half inch deep. You would have to cut out the seal with a blade in order to take them apart.

Now if the center was removed while the tire was still installed, the air pressure might be enough to dis-lodge them or create a leak.
Old 01-15-08, 05:13 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by reggiek
If you see a multipiece wheels without bolts, it's probably welded. You see bolts, it's prbably not.
I have seen plenty of wheels that had bolts holding them together, but then the wheel maker also welded the two halves together after assembly.

Some wheels start life as 3 separate pieces during the production process, but become 2 piece after they are assembled and welded.

It's hard to tell unless you check for a weld bead on the inside.
Old 01-15-08, 05:49 PM
9520G
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a place where I can take a 3 piece wheel to get disassembled to get the face powdercoated? Especially if its in jersey.

Last edited by 9520G; 01-15-08 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-16-08, 08:24 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

It sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean multipiece wheels deep inside the cracks? Would soap and a pressure washer at low PSI work?
Old 01-17-08, 03:06 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrispy
It sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean multipiece wheels deep inside the cracks? Would soap and a pressure washer at low PSI work?
Spray some windex in there.
Old 01-17-08, 03:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Spray some windex in there.
could be a very bad idea. windex is quite aggressive, and on most jdm wheels, the anodized lips might not like it. never tried it myself, but i wouldn't dare neither
Old 01-17-08, 03:33 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
could be a very bad idea. windex is quite aggressive, and on most jdm wheels, the anodized lips might not like it. never tried it myself, but i wouldn't dare neither
Not something I would do on a regular basis but I have used it when I wanted a super clean surface before putting on some wax or polish.
Many of the car wash businesses use it here in south florida.
Old 01-17-08, 03:58 PM
RMMGS4

At this point I no longer trust any type of wheel cleaner on my rims or my brake calipers. Even the less aggressive cleaners, seem a bit too aggressive on my non-clear coated HRE lips and my oh so precious red AP Racing calipers.

Meguires has a mild wheel detailer; that's all I'm using right now. I think it's pretty much the same stuff as the Detailer Spray they sell for painted surfaces, except this wheel spray is supposed to be for brake dust and anodized surfaces.

If you let the brake dust settle on the rim and caliper too long you might not have a choice but to use a true wheel cleaner. If so, then I do have some trust with Meguiars for that job.

As far as getting into cracks, what location are you talking about, the corner between the center section and the rim lip where the two parts meet?

I usually take an old credit card or something similar and fold a microfiber cloth over the card then stick it in that crack with some Meguiars spray.
Old 01-17-08, 04:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Not something I would do on a regular basis but I have used it when I wanted a super clean surface before putting on some wax or polish.
Many of the car wash businesses use it here in south florida.
i say careful on your t1s. from my experience, jdm wheels with anodized lips are especially sensitive to cleaners.

here's a story. a guy bought a set of jdm wheels from my friend. went to a car wash place where a lot of exotics and high end cars go. he asked repeatedly about their stuff on delegate wheels and they said no problem. well, 10 mins later the car wash dude came screaming, and there was all these strikes on the lips that was permanent.

anodized wheels are very sensitive, and once damaged it's forever. you can polish it again but lose the anodize. and from what i see, all the top car detailers, they never use anything other than normal car wash soap and fine brushes/cloths to clean the wheels

again, just suggestion. not saying it will be the case
Old 01-17-08, 04:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
If you let the brake dust settle on the rim and caliper too long you might not have a choice but to use a true wheel cleaner. If so, then I do have some trust with Meguiars for that job.
meguiars is a good candidate. it also depends on the wheel finish. for anadized lips, brake dust won't eat into it even after a long time

but for hre wheels (or similar), polished lips with no clear coat, that's a huge pain. i know coz' i went through the same

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Taking apart a 3 piece wheel to clean the insides