Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Staggered fitment? Really?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-02, 03:32 AM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Staggered fitment? Really?

For those of you who thought a staggered fitment meant wider rear wheels...Think again! C'mon, again! Nope. Think outside the box! Nope! Just when you thought you were "up to date" on the latest, something newer comes along.

I'm referring to seeing something twice in as many weeks. LARGER wheels on the rear of the vehicle. Manaray recently posted a picture of an SC with the new Autocouture wheels in a 20" rear fitment and a 19" front fitment.

Page 28 of the February 2002 issue of Sport Compact Car reveals that a 304-hp, CART Champ Car series IS 300, sporting a prototype TRD supercharger with an intercooler, Brembo brakes, Bilstein shocks and 18" front wheels and 19" rears, is zipping around racetrcks.

Is this the next "fad" in aftermarket tuning? Or is there rhyme and reason to this? Tuners do things for very particular reasons. I defer to the experts. Your knowledge, observations and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Just another puzzled mind :eek:

MAC
Old 01-23-02, 07:26 AM
Wheel Experts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not really sure why. Some cars like the NSX and C5 vette have those types of fitments from the factory. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it. I think it looks fine with the same size wheels (as funny as that sounds).

Other than the fact it gives the car a very forward aggressive raked look without having a huge fender gap in the rear, I couln't think of anything else. As far as performance goes, it would be more of a hindrance than anything, if you wanted larger OD in the rear you would just put thicker tires. More grip, better performance, lighter weight.

I know MAE (www.mae-autodesign.de) uses higher profile tires on the rear of their mercedes than normal to achieve a look.
Old 01-23-02, 08:44 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by lee2375
I'm not really sure why. Some cars like the NSX and C5 vette have those types of fitments from the factory. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it. I think it looks fine with the same size wheels (as funny as that sounds).
I agree! Although my definition of "staggered" is just going wider in the rear! I think that will suffice for any aggressive look and/or performance you would want.
Old 01-23-02, 12:20 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't it be difficult to use the spare tire when you have different sizes front and rear?
Old 01-23-02, 10:30 PM
ncdogdoc
Driver School Candidate

The NSX uses staggered fitment because of the mid engine layout, and therefore rearward weight bias. Corvettes are more for putting the HP to the ground, and keeping the rear in line. Staggering for front engine cars is not as useful, although with RWD, you can use stiffer sidewalls and wider rubber without sacrificing as much in ride quality. I am seriously thinking about getting 17/18's for my LS400 so I can swap with the NSX according to my mood or which car I am tracking that weekend. But it is a pain in the a$$ when it comes to buying tires, and rotating.

BTW, these are the wheels I am looking at for my car.
SOS
Work
Work rears
Old 01-24-02, 07:54 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that all the M3s, beginning with the E36, came from the factory with a staggered setup.