Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Unsure about wheels and offsets? Use this tool!

Old 12-02-07, 02:35 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Unsure about wheels and offsets? Use this tool!

I was looking around and I stumbled upon this:
http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp
Found it pretty useful and I know a lot of you guys are worrying about rubbing(like me). Anyone know the offset for our 18in GS 5-Spoke Alloys? I know they're 18x8.0 all around. And I didn't want to waste another post, but does increasing wheel size and overall diameter = less mpg? Thanks and good luck on finding those right wheels!
Old 12-02-07, 05:12 AM
MELODY7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Confused Don't Know How To Use This Thing.
Old 12-02-07, 08:32 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mesca
I was looking around and I stumbled upon this:
http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp
Found it pretty useful and I know a lot of you guys are worrying about rubbing(like me). Anyone know the offset for our 18in GS 5-Spoke Alloys? I know they're 18x8.0 all around. And I didn't want to waste another post, but does increasing wheel size and overall diameter = less mpg? Thanks and good luck on finding those right wheels!
Thats a myth about larger wheels = LESS MPG. You have to remember with larger wheel diameters, it takes longer for the wheel to rotate. So even though it seems like you are getting less gas mileage, you are not. You are covering the same amount of miles but the odometer is not reading correctly with the after market wheels.

If you get smaller diameter wheels, lets say 15" (will never fit) then your MPG will go up... maybe double of what your getting on stocks.
Old 12-02-07, 11:57 AM
wickedfn4u
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
Thats a myth about larger wheels = LESS MPG. You have to remember with larger wheel diameters, it takes longer for the wheel to rotate. So even though it seems like you are getting less gas mileage, you are not. You are covering the same amount of miles but the odometer is not reading correctly with the after market wheels.

If you get smaller diameter wheels, lets say 15" (will never fit) then your MPG will go up... maybe double of what your getting on stocks.
Larger wheels do = Less MPG. If you are talking a larger tire/wheel but maintaining stock diameter you will not see a decrease in MPG. If you go larger tire wheel combo and maintain an equal diameter but a wider tire, you will have more rolling resistance and worse fuel economy.
Old 12-02-07, 12:07 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wickedfn4u
Larger wheels do = Less MPG. If you are talking a larger tire/wheel but maintaining stock diameter you will not see a decrease in MPG. If you go larger tire wheel combo and maintain an equal diameter but a wider tire, you will have more rolling resistance and worse fuel economy.
Your right, I was thinking back to the civic days... where 15" were stock and 17" and 18" would make a big diff.
Old 12-02-07, 05:33 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ek9vboi

LOL double your gas mileage.... when you go with larger wheels, you go smaller profile tire, overall diameter should be same. larger wheels may be heavier...lower mpg...also wider..more resistance, lower mpg. Overall though, probably negligable difference