Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

LS400 wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-02, 04:15 PM
qwalls
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS400 wheel questions

I'm currently shopping for a black '98 or '99 LS400. I'm pretty picky, so it may take a while, but as long as I have it by Spring. I'm not looking to add a body kit, change the exhaust, lower it, or any of that fun stuff, but I do think the factory wheels are a bit boring and would like something more exciting. I want to keep the comfortable ride, so I'm thinking maybe 17" wheels and 245/50/17 Dunlop 5000s. (Why do the 17s cost more than double what the 16s cost?) The only other mods will probably be a good alarm system with remote start, and some upgrades to the stereo.

I like the Weds Kranze Cerberus.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...=&postid=58487

Does anyone have a picture of them on a black LS?

I received the following price quote from GTAutoSports:

Kranze Cerberus 17x7 Monoblock Hyper Silver : $1398.00
Kranze Cerberus 17x7 Monoblock Silver Polish : $1354.00
Kranze Cerberus 17x8 3 Piece Silver : $2060.00
Kranze Cerberus 17x8 3 Piece Chrome : $2360.00

The best offset for the LS400 is around +38 with a High Disk/Big Caliper
version to clear the LS400 brakes. These are special order from Japan so
it will take at least 6 weeks to build and delivery to the US. S&H for a
set of wheels to OH is $60.00.

Are these decent prices for 17s? Will 245/50/17s fit ok on a 17x7 or 17x8? What's the difference between Hyper Silver, and Silver?

Another option is the Works Euroline S2H. I also like the Euroline LS, but it starts at 18".

Any other suggestions for wheels that would look good on the LS for around $2000?

Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice/suggestions, and thanks to gs4will for your answers in the LS forum where I shouldn't have posted in the first place.

Q
Old 01-16-02, 12:21 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might not want to buy from GT Autosports. I don't know if Dave has straightened out his business with other members on Club Lexus but many people have had some SERIOUS delays in shipment, a lack of communications, etc., etc...

If you're going to only get 17" wheels, you might as well just get the one piece. Most people want 18" and larger so resale on 17" wheels will be low. On the 3-piece, you'll be taking a big loss on resale (if you plan on it).

The price are great, but I would look for another vendor...

Hyper Silver is more of a "deep metallic" looking silver..."regular" Silver is the "typical" silver you see on most wheels...it's similar to the stock non-chrome Lexus wheels (like the ones that come on the GS). Personally, I think Hyper Silver looks better.

Also, I would seriously recommend 18" wheels. The LS is a LARGE car 17's will look small. Hell, 18's look small. 19's are the smallest ** I'd ** do on a LS, but I understand your desire for comfort...and to tell you the truth, I don't think 18's, with the right tires, will hurt your ride too much. I would also consider lowering it a little bit. Otherwise, your car will look more like a SUV.

Your ride will not be harmed much because a lowered LS on large wheels drives NOTHING like a lowered Civic on larger wheels. I have 20's on a my GS (and it's DUMPED on coilovers) and it's an everyday car.
Old 01-16-02, 08:59 AM
qwalls
Rookie

Thanks Manaray. I was hoping you'd reply since you seem to be the resident wheel expert.

I read the thread on GTAutoSports, and the problem the person had due to having them mount his tires, but I didn't realize so many other people were having problems. Thanks for the tip. Any suggestions on another vendor?

I was actually going back and forth between 17s and 18s. Here's my thinking (hoping) on the 17s:

They are close enough to the stock 16s that comfort won't suffer, and hopefully I can get away without lowering. There is a greater selection of tires, mainly all-season performance tires like the Dunlop 5000s. Resale shouldn't be an issue since I'd plan to keep the car, and the wheels for several years.

On the 1-piece vs. the 3-piece, I like the looks of the 3-piece better. I'm not really concerned about resale value. And I was concerned that the 7" wide 1-piece rim might not be wide enough for 245s. If the width wouldn't be a problem though, I'd consider the 1-piece.

Unless it looks really bad, or I happen to find a car with the air suspension, I don't think I'll be lowering, and I think 17s will look better unlowered than the 18s will.

Thanks for the information. I'll post in the LS forum when I find my car.

Q
Old 01-16-02, 04:23 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

While it's true that 16" and 17" sizes have a wider range of tire choices, take a look at 18" tires available on TireRack...18's are coming standard on a lot of cars now (plus a LOT of people buy 18" aftermarket wheels) so you'll see nearly as many choices...

I would STILL go with 18's...your ride won't suffer as much as you think. Ask people that that went with 18's in the GS/LS section...I think most of them will agree that 18's won't harm your ride too much (just make sure you get some fat tires...not some low profile performance tires!)...

As for lowering, that's going to be personal taste. You'll know after you put the wheels on the car...

Anyways, glad I could help...if you have any specific questions about width, tire size, etc., etc., just post...
Old 01-16-02, 04:59 PM
qwalls
Rookie

Default Thanks Manaray

Thanks again. I'll take a look at tirerack to see what they have in 18s.

Is there a rule of thumb on what width rim should be used with certain width tires?
Old 01-16-02, 06:46 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, there is a rule but it has some bends...

Generally, a 235-245 size tire belongs on a 8.5" wide wheel...A 255 SHOULD go on a 9"...265-275 on a 9.5"...of course, you could put a 265 on a 9"...but generally, I like to have "straight" (vertically) sidewalls...so if you "undersize" a tire in comparison to the wheel width, you'll get sidewalls that lean inward...whereas the other way around, you'll get some "bubbling" (the SUV effect).

However, it also depends on the design of the wheel. The Toyo FZ4's for example have, what I consider, HORRIBLE sidewalls. They're bubbled looking no matter what...

However some people LIKE the undersized look (Japanese Style) and some don't mind the "SUV" look...and with some brands of tires, either way doesn't look too bad...
Old 01-16-02, 07:20 PM
qwalls
Rookie

Thanks!