Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Opinions needed -- can't decide between Blizzak LM-25 and Dunlop Winter Sport 3D

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-07, 06:12 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Opinions needed -- can't decide between Blizzak LM-25 and Dunlop Winter Sport 3D

Hey guys. 99 GS400, running stock 16s for the winter, 90% highway miles outside of Chicago. I've narrowed it down to these two tires, but I can't decide. TireRack consumer reviews rate the Dunlop slightly ahead of the Blizzak, and the Dunlops are about $100 cheaper for the set ($386 versus $484). By the way, the Blizzak LM-25 is the successor to the LM-22, and the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D is the successor to the M3.

Has anyone driven on both who could tell me how they compare? My primary concern is quiet and comfort on the highway (that is, as much as possible with a winter tire). If anyone has any experience with either tire they could share, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

e
Old 10-29-07, 06:09 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you look over your shoulder you will see me as I am in the same boat as you faced with the same decision. I have a GS430 and just bought 16s for some winter tires. What tire are you running now? I have the RE960 PP A/S and saw the article on the tire rack comparing snow(Revo 1), performance snows(LM-25), the 960s and RE 050s. The 960s were only like 2 points away from the grip rating for the LM-25s so I was wondering if it would be worth it to go for them or a true snow tire? My son like the Dunlops as he said he read only good reviews about them while seeing some so-so reviews for the Blizzaks. I also read that the Blizzaks wore out quickly but I don't know if that would be true of all snow tires as their soft compound doesn't last long.
Old 10-29-07, 06:17 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BCP43002
If you look over your shoulder you will see me as I am in the same boat as you faced with the same decision. I have a GS430 and just bought 16s for some winter tires. What tire are you running now? I have the RE960 PP A/S and saw the article on the tire rack comparing snow(Revo 1), performance snows(LM-25), the 960s and RE 050s. The 960s were only like 2 points away from the grip rating for the LM-25s so I was wondering if it would be worth it to go for them or a true snow tire? My son like the Dunlops as he said he read only good reviews about them while seeing some so-so reviews for the Blizzaks. I also read that the Blizzaks wore out quickly but I don't know if that would be true of all snow tires as their soft compound doesn't last long.
My 16s have an old, worn out set of Goodyear Eagle GT+4s. They were on the rims when I bought them. They have about 3/32nds of tread and were manufactured in 2002. They're pretty much done.

Are the PPs that you have currently mounted on 17s or 16s? Have you run them in the winter? How have they handled in the light to moderate snow? If they are that close to the LM-25s, I would consider getting the PP for my winter tire. I don't know if that makes any sense, though. I also considered the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, but again, I'm not sure that that tire (or the PPs for that matter) are that much different from my current set of 17s (Turanza LS-Z).
Old 10-29-07, 06:51 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Funny, the used 16 rims that I bought have the GT+4s on them, a little more then half used. How were they? My PPs are on chrome 17s which is why I don't want them on in the winter. I just bought the 430 this May as well as the PPs so I don't know how they are in the snow. They work well in the rain and so far I am pleased with them. I had the Turanza LS-H on my TL before switching to Traction T/As. I think the T/As have more snow traction as they wear. I have about 55k on them and still have decent tread. As far as the Turanzas vs the PP I think the PP will have more bite in the snow as the Turanzas are a grand touring tire made more for quiet comfort vs ultra high performance A/S.
Old 10-29-07, 07:09 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BCP43002
Funny, the used 16 rims that I bought have the GT+4s on them, a little more then half used. How were they? My PPs are on chrome 17s which is why I don't want them on in the winter. I just bought the 430 this May as well as the PPs so I don't know how they are in the snow. They work well in the rain and so far I am pleased with them. I had the Turanza LS-H on my TL before switching to Traction T/As. I think the T/As have more snow traction as they wear. I have about 55k on them and still have decent tread. As far as the Turanzas vs the PP I think the PP will have more bite in the snow as the Turanzas are a grand touring tire made more for quiet comfort vs ultra high performance A/S.
That is funny. I can't complain about the GT+4s. They've served me well for a set of used tires. I've used them for the past 4 winters and they haven't let me down. The only bad thing I can say about them is that they have gotten really loud and harsh in their old age. The LS-Zs are much quieter and smoother, notwithstanding the fact that they are 235/45/17. It's really not a fair comparison, though. You had the LS-H, so you probably know where I'm coming from. And I agree, the PPs tread is more aggressive than the LS-Z, so it looks like it would be better in snow.

The part of the equation that is making the decision all the more difficult is that 90% of my miles are highway miles at 70 mph+. I need something that it quiet and comfortable. Whether I choose the Blizzak LM-25 or the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D, or something entirely different, it would kill me if the tire was loud and uncomfortable on the highway.
Old 10-29-07, 07:28 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

I also do the 90% highway at err above 55mph(officer I wasn't speeding, I was qualifying) 50 miles each way to work. I find the PPs a little noisier then the LSs but nothing objectionable.
Old 11-09-07, 12:23 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Does anyone have any other thoughts on this? If I'm getting the Dunlops, I need to order them by the 15th before the $50 rebate expires.
Old 11-16-07, 08:38 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

I went with the 3Ds. I have a 98TL that I use in bad weather so I shouldn't need the true snows.
Old 11-17-07, 07:17 AM
e-man
Pole Position

I went with the 3Ds as well. I haven't mounted them yet, but will report back when I've racked up some miles.
Old 11-17-07, 10:31 PM
kit cat

I have the Dunlop Wintersport M3 DSST on my 18" for about a month now (had a flat a while and couldn't find the right tire so just threw on snow tires already) but so far so good on dry. I do about 30miles a day mostly highway but I have no complains about tire sounds.

My friend with an IS is running LM25 I believe but he said they did great last winter. I've rode in his IS300 w/ the LM25 but they were really quiet too. But I hope you're not expecting like a LS like quietness...