Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

VERY Troubling Story From Bimmerfest...

Old 08-16-07, 11:37 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation VERY Troubling Story From Bimmerfest...

First... I spoke with this member thru PM and asked his permission to share this with my fellow CL'rs. Since I've been here from almost day one at CL, and respect several members thoughts and opinions here.

Now then, on to the story and some of your thoughts and opinions on what may have caused this...

Originally Posted by harjothundal
Now before people begin to comment, read the full story... While driving back from vancouver bc to california, we experienced a sudden tire blowout and rim failure about 31 miles from oregon... We did not hit a pot hole or any bumps/debree on the road... About 1 am, while driving in peace, we all of a sudden heard an extremely loud banging noise in the rear, followed by the car violently swerving to the left, and then the right in a fishtail manner... i gained control of the vehicle very quickly and pulled over on the left shoulder of the freeway, being that it was the quickest route to safety... once on the left shoulder, we contacted the insurance company which sent out a tow truck to assist in changing the tire and also had a state stooper dispatched to us to assist due to the fact that we were pulled over on the left shoulder, and the tire blown was the right side, a very dangerous situation... we did not get out of the car until the trooper arrived, once he arrived he turned on his flashers and traffic began to keep their distance... the rear tire was definately blown... i also noticed a liquid under the vehicle, but was not sure if was from the car, or was already there from some other source... after following the trail with the troopers flashlight, we learned it indeed was from the bmw... that was when we knew the car saw disabled and not in driving condition... once the tow truck arrived, we towed the vehicle to rasmussen bmw in portland oregon, which was about 30-40 miles away... i dont know if anyone has been to that dealership, but their service is unbelievable... we arrived at the dealer around 3 am, and waited for business to open to see if we can find out was was leaking on the car...

dealer inspected car and noticed rear strut had a hole in it, which is where the leaking fluid came from... upon furthur inspection, we found the entire inner lip of the rim was missing... the tech determined that when the tire and/or rim blew, it caused metal chunks and shrapnel to depart from the vehicle at a high rate of speed, puncturing the strut... the impact was so heavy that 2 pieces of rim hit the undercarriage of the vehicle and ripped 2 holes into the trunk... one piece or rim put a hole about the size of my fist into the trunk, and hit the battery, damaging it permanently...

the insurance adjuster came out to look at it right away, and he came to the conclusion that rim must have been defective or had some imperfections that caused this blowout...

the dealer installed the new strut as well as replaced the battery, and the the factory 19" spare on the vehicle... the reason i am posting this is to let other owners of this wheel to use caution and inspect the wheel making sure everything is safe... I had my entire family of 5 in the vehicle at the time, had there been car on the freeway at the time of the failure, it could have been a lot worse.. pictures are below...

and people, dont get me wrong, sevas is not a bad product and i love their wheel, and i will definately get that rear rim replaced, my main goal is not to put sevas down or take away their business, but to let others learn from my experience so this doesnt not happen again... thank god nobody was injured...

Old 08-16-07, 11:41 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

My original message to him and his response:

Originally Posted by harjothundal
hey man how you doing,

thanks for the message, and the willingnes to help... by all means you are more than welcome to repost this... my primary goal was to make sure this does not happen to anyone else... its unfortunate that i have a big headache on my hands, but the main point is nobody was injured, and eventually all repairs will be complete...

once again, thank you!
Harjot
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Hey my man. Again sorry about what happened to you.

With your permission, I wanted to post your thread up on the CL boards where I have been a member/moderator for 6 years! I know alot of guys over there and wanted to get their opinion on the possible cause of this wheel failure...?
Old 08-16-07, 11:41 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Stuff breaks. That's life.
Old 08-16-07, 11:44 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Hmmm? Thanks for that insightful and considerate reply. I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the members here and abroad don't share your sentiments and intelligence... or lack thereof.

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 08-16-07 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-16-07, 11:44 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uh thats an important part of the car. the outcome could have been much worse.
Old 08-16-07, 11:45 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Methinks a pattern is developing here!!!

More problems with a Sevas wheel
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...cracked+rim%2A

Old 08-16-07, 11:46 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Not like that it doesn't. Especially when this is the second of these we've seen on this board alone. Exact same type of failure.
Old 08-16-07, 11:58 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Methinks a pattern is developing here!!!

More problems with a Sevas wheel
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...cracked+rim%2A

WOW! That is so not normal. I have had over 10 sets of custom wheels in my life, and I've damaged some along the way and I have never seen this type of structural damge!
Old 08-16-07, 12:21 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

WTF?????

Thats soooo not cool.!!

If there are Two known cases here.....how many more are out there that never reported to a forum?

This could be a HUGE liability for them.!!!! And worse, deadly to the customers.!!!
They need to really check the quality of the materials that their using to make these wheels.!

Last edited by King7Two; 08-16-07 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-16-07, 12:28 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Glad you and your family are safe, Sevas will need to check into this before someone gets hurt or killed.
Old 08-16-07, 12:29 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Hmmm? Thanks for that insightful and considerate reply. I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the members here and abroad don't share your sentiments and intelligence... or lack thereof.
No need for the personal jabs. This is a good thread, lets keep it that way.
Old 08-16-07, 12:31 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Looks like they may have had a grain flow issue with the material. This could easily put them under on a massive recall.
Old 08-16-07, 12:39 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Oh man, that's horrible. I'm just glad to hear no one was really injured.
Old 08-16-07, 12:45 PM
LexFather

Oh my that is not good at all. However lets look at the facts and try our best not to jump to conclusions (Those that remember the one HRE wheel fiasco caused by the internet).

I will say this. ALL FORGING IS NOT THE SAME. Every company and their mother is claiming forging this and that when its not the same as a reputable wheel company as HRE, BBS, etc. There clearly is an issue with the process with these wheels.
Old 08-16-07, 12:53 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Question

Originally Posted by J.P.
No need for the personal jabs. This is a good thread, lets keep it that way.
And I'm the one who needs to be told this, because? Try telling the person who's comment MOST here would consider inappropriate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VERY Troubling Story From Bimmerfest...