Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

leaking air from new tire on gs 300 2004, help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-07, 10:21 PM
laser_doc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking air from new tire on gs 300 2004, help!!

i just had new yokohama avid v4s mounted on my gs. and its repeated leaked air down to 10 psi within a few days..
i brought it back to the tire shop, few times already, and they dismounted cleaned the lips, and sealed it with some gunk, and again it leaked in a few days..
no damage on the wheels.

the funny thing is that 6 months ago my friend with a older 1997 lexus es was having the same problem with her new yoko tires... it kept on leaking, and they repeatedly dismounted/remounted, and no resulution still.. very annoying!! also no lip damage on the rims..

the tire shop says its the rims... but why would it not leak with the old Dunlop tires for the past 3 yrs, and the next day leaks with the new tires???? if its the rim problem, wouldn't it leak even with the old tires???

or is it a problem with yokohamas on Lexuses???

anyone with experienced the same thing? any input would be helpful..
Old 07-30-07, 12:30 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Hmmm...only thing I can think of, if it isn't the tires, it's more than likely to be a faulty valve stem.
Old 07-30-07, 05:54 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tire shop should have submerge the tire into a pool of water to check for leak the first time. Ask them to do so, you should find out where the leak is coming from. I agree with Seize, the valve stem is most likely be in question.
Old 07-30-07, 09:46 AM
laser_doc
Driver School Candidate

Default they did...

they did submerged the tire and nothing... absolutely nothing, no bubbles!!...
it seems like its not a slow consistent leak... it will hold good air for a few days, than all of a sudden, bam... loses 20psi overnight...!!!

same with my friends...same issue..

hence the tire shop really can't pin point the problem... cause they don't see any leaks when at the shop in the water vat..

they did remove, metal wired the lip, and put some goo on it and then remounted...
but result is the same.!! wth??

curious if anyone else on the site have the same problem with yoko tires and lexus rims...
just weird that me and my friend have the same problem...
Old 07-30-07, 10:14 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is weird... I assume they replaced the valve stem right? If not you need to ask them to. Is it only happen to one of the four?
Old 07-30-07, 11:27 AM
laser_doc
Driver School Candidate

ya they did...
replace the valve stem...
also no bubbles from the stem
Old 07-30-07, 11:42 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

do you have chrome wheels?

if so, I would bet money that they are peeling on the inside, ever so slightly, installing new tires has upset the chrome and when you are parked with the tire just right, it leaks... I have seen it many many times... the solution is to have a wheel repair place grind all the chrome off the inner lip (unnoticeable from the outside), and then you are good...

if not chrome wheels, I would see about having them just replace that one tire - I have seen pinhole leaks in the bead area that are normally sealed, but again when you park a certain way, the tire moves ever so slightly as to let it leak...

good luck
Old 07-30-07, 07:34 PM
laser_doc
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks for the advice mitsuguy

they are NOT chrome wheels...
and they did use the steelwire rotary thing to clean the lip already..

how weird, depending on how u park the car>>leaks?? wow... never heard of that before..

i've gotten many sets of tires in my lifetime, and dang.. never this annoying problem...
just too many trips to the tire shop...
Old 07-30-07, 07:49 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

hmmm, no chrome...

next I would see if they will replace that tire for you... although rare, a small pinhole leak in the bead area of the tire will show up in a situation like you describe...
Old 07-30-07, 10:01 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
do you have chrome wheels?

if so, I would bet money that they are peeling on the inside, ever so slightly, installing new tires has upset the chrome and when you are parked with the tire just right, it leaks... I have seen it many many times... the solution is to have a wheel repair place grind all the chrome off the inner lip (unnoticeable from the outside), and then you are good...

if not chrome wheels, I would see about having them just replace that one tire - I have seen pinhole leaks in the bead area that are normally sealed, but again when you park a certain way, the tire moves ever so slightly as to let it leak...

good luck
Yeah thats what I was thinking. Lexus wheels have the very common "Chrome Leak". Ive gotten customers who repeatedly come back with a leaky new tire. They tell me that they have taken it to other shops that could not find the leak but then the tire ends up very low in a couple of days. Some places dont do all the things necessary to find the tiniest hole in a tire. I'd take it to someone else and try your luck. You might be surprised to see what happens. Goodluck.