Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Looking for new tires to replace OEM on IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-07, 12:03 PM
backghost
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for new tires to replace OEM on IS250 AWD

Looking for some help on selection of new set of tires for 2206 IS250 AWD
After going to Tirerack and seeing a few that I like ... one of buddies swear by Kumos ... but then again get put a set of new tires on his MB E500 every 5 to 7 months...

So I am reaching out for some advise ... did search a few threads and found some info but nothing that stood out..

I guess wondering ... of the IS250 AWD owners who have replaced their tires ... what did you replace them with ... stock OEM? something different ?

Driving style is slightly aggressive ... ie taking corners a bit hard but I do not track or but the car to its limits and tire nose is an issue.
Old 07-18-07, 12:30 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will be curious as to what you finally get, please post your findings. We only have 10k on our 250 AWD and the stock tires are holding fairly well so far. Since we live in moderate snow country, and drive mountain passes a lot in the winter, when we replace the OEM tires will be looking for all season performance as a replacement.
Old 07-18-07, 01:49 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

I have been look as well at new tires. I actually bought a second set of winter tires (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's). However, my A/S are wearing down quickly now that I am getting close to 30k (I have about 18k on the A/S). So I have been looking on tirerack reviews.

For the Ultra High Performance A/S:
The reviews suggest that the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position seem to be highly rated and a the price is actually pretty good.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

For High Performance A/S:
The reviews suggest that the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S are the most highly rated and the price is a bit more then the one's above.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=HPAS

I'm not really sure what the difference is between Ultra High & High...but the Bridgestone's look like they might be the best deal.
Old 07-18-07, 04:53 PM
TheBatman
Driver

The Michelin Pilot Exaltos are the way to go. Dollar for dollar they are the best tires you can get - excellent traction, smooth ride, quiet, etc. The stock potenzas are horrendous and I've had various bridgestones on other cars and they all suck. I know I sound like a michelin salesman but the exaltos really are that good.

I had the exaltos on my previous car and have them currently on my IS250 AWD. Plus if you have a Costco membership they sell the exaltos and if you wait for the $60 off on tires offers they have combined with the lifetime free rotation, balancing, and flat tire repair, its hard to find a better price or deal.
Old 07-18-07, 07:01 PM
MJB_LEX
Rookie

Originally Posted by backghost
After going to Tirerack and seeing a few that I like ... one of buddies swear by Kumos ... but then again get put a set of new tires on his MB E500 every 5 to 7 months...

So I am reaching out for some advise ... did search a few threads and found some info but nothing that stood out..

I guess wondering ... of the IS250 AWD owners who have replaced their tires ... what did you replace them with ... stock OEM? something different ?

Driving style is slightly aggressive ... ie taking corners a bit hard but I do not track or but the car to its limits and tire nose is an issue.
I got Dunlop SP Sport MAXX at 8K. I am enjoying them, they transformed the car over the OEM Bridgestones. They are quiet, they grip really well in dry AND wet. And they don't squeel around fast corners like the OEMs.
Old 07-19-07, 01:51 AM
VegasIS250
Driver School Candidate

At 5k i put on BFGoodrich g-force t/a KDW 225/45ZR17 tyres. I LOVE them, great feel and perfect traction. I love them especially with my RWD because with the traction control off you can really control them however you want. You can feel exactly the moment when the grip is about to release. Ultra fun tyres to slip and slide around turns(only if your into that)
Old 07-19-07, 06:44 AM
teracon
Driver

Originally Posted by backghost

On the web, I found a local company (TireVan.com) that has mobile installation (DC, Northern VA and parts of MD). I purchased a set (front and rear) of Kumho Ecsta SPT's (after doing research on Tirerack.com). With installation, balancing, tax and road hazard protection I am looking at $549.00. I originally wanted the General UHP's, but they were on backorder. I am having them install the tires tomorrow morning at the local BestBuy parking lot. I will let you know how the service goes...
Old 07-19-07, 07:30 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

As you all know tires become noisy as they wear. Can anyone recommend a set that stays quiet? It would be helpful if you have first hand experience. Thanks.
Old 07-24-07, 12:42 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Anything new on replacements for the 250 AWD?
Old 07-27-07, 01:49 PM
backghost
Driver School Candidate

Here are some of the clublexus members recommendations that I found in a host of posts and some recommendations of my own (I guess ? )

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position --- Club member recommended x2
--- this tire has some good ratings and is it at a nice price 133 and it seemed to rate well in all the categories .
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=V

For High Performance A/S:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=HPAS

Michelin Pilot Exaltos -- Clublexus member recommended
-- seasonal tire summer ... good ratings but again summer tire ..

Dunlop SP Sport MAXX -- Clublexus member recomended
Is a summer only tire ... and I am not like that as I do not like the seasonal tire thing

Bridg's Potenza RE92 -- shows up in a post on Clublexus
The poster states that the wet traction is not good at all and another says something about not running these tires on lawnmower .. Ha !

The goodyear Eagle Response --- Researched and found to be highly rated on tirerack
hey are only V rated .. and like I am going to drive over 149 mph
They are using carbon fiber in side walls and treads and they have a cool tread pattern
If having a cool tread patten was a selection category for a tire.
The goodyear gets good marks at Tirerack as well

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....le+ResponsEdge

So I am torn between the Goodyear Eagle Response and the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS
Have to decide soon as my old tires are about to go ..