Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Quieter Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-07, 07:22 AM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quieter Tires?

I just took delivery of my car last week and am considering changing out the tires to something a little quieter. from what I've read the Michelin Pilots seem to be the best in terms for comfort / quietness. Are there any others?

Yes, I realize I'll lose some performace as compared to the bridgestones I currently have on. But, for my purposes with this vehicle I'm not worried about that. I think the suspension is perfect. But, I do get a TON of road noise from these Bridgestones.
Old 05-15-07, 08:46 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

u wanna spend ~$200 per tire just to get a new set so you'll lose performance and just a LITTLE quieter ??????
Old 05-15-07, 08:53 AM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kickin8
u wanna spend ~$200 per tire just to get a new set so you'll lose performance and just a LITTLE quieter ??????
Will they only be a little quieter? If that is the case, then definately not.
Old 05-15-07, 09:35 AM
bishop555
Driver School Candidate

I just put Michelin Pilots on my car, and they are alot quieter than the stock tires. Not quite sure why kickin thinks there is a performence loss, if anything these are better as long as your talking about the ps2 or the sports.... since you do not mention which "Pilots"
Old 05-15-07, 10:08 AM
tsitalon1
Rookie

Originally Posted by bishop555
I just put Michelin Pilots on my car, and they are alot quieter than the stock tires. Not quite sure why kickin thinks there is a performence loss, if anything these are better as long as your talking about the ps2 or the sports.... since you do not mention which "Pilots"
Interesting, since I hate the tire noise too! Did you go with the ps2's? If so, how is turn in? Don't they have a softer sidewall.

My two choices after research were either the Pilot Ps2's or Bridgestone re050a pole positions.
Old 05-15-07, 10:18 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I personally will go with the Michelin Pilot A/S. I have heard nothing but good reviews and they are alot more quieter.

Performance loss? I don't really think so, its not like you're taking corners at 70mph.

Last edited by IS_Mine; 05-15-07 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-15-07, 10:22 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The PS2's are quieter than the stock Dunlops I had on my car.

The All Season Pilots are quiet when new but they tend to get very noisy as they wear.

To the OP, I would consider installing some Dynamat in the front wheel wells. That'll make any tire you have or put on quieter.
Old 05-15-07, 10:28 AM
bishop555
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Interesting, since I hate the tire noise too! Did you go with the ps2's? If so, how is turn in? Don't they have a softer sidewall.

My two choices after research were either the Pilot Ps2's or Bridgestone re050a pole positions.
I went with the ps2, i was looking at three tires same two u listed above and also the Goodyear's. After talking with a good friend that owns a tire shop locally where i live i decided to go with the Pilot's. The sidewall is slightly softer, I guess it will just be personal preference wether you want the best performance available or give up just a tad for quieter tires and still extremely good traction. Between the Goodyear's Bridgestone's and Michelin’s there all really close in dry traction Wet was a different story and the goodyear’s seem to have a better rating. I have no regret with going with the PS2’s and when they wear out I plan on putting on the same ones
Old 05-15-07, 10:32 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh, Ill have to keep this thread in mind when it comes time to replace mine. I dont really like the tire noise and would like it if I could reduce but dont hate it enough to buy new tires now...
Old 05-15-07, 11:02 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, now it seems people are unhappy with their tire noise. Maybe if enough folks complain Lexus will order another TSIB and replace everyone's tires!!! It worked with the brake dust.
Old 05-15-07, 11:03 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Well, now it seems people are unhappy with their tire noise. Maybe if enough folks complain Lexus will order another TSIB and replace everyone's tires!!! It worked with the brake dust.
Yeah after 18k miles I am pretty tired of the tire noise.

This is a LEXUS after all. :P
Old 05-15-07, 11:08 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tsitalon1

i got RE050 right now, after 2500 miles, it's pretty noisy.....

not sure about re050a makes any difference?
Old 05-15-07, 11:42 AM
muzzman1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put about 35K on my factory Sport Maxx's, they were getting quite loud, so I was happy to replace them. I was looking for a quieter, longer lasting tire, serious performance is not an issue for me, I baby my IS250. I have a 700hp drag race car at home when I want to go fast.
In any case I opted for the continental extremes. They have a treadwear rating of 400, while the stock tires were 240 (I believe)
The continnental's are very quite, in fact quieter than the tires on a brand new GS350 that I have on loaner today while my brakes are being replaced today for being too dusty.
So all in all I am very pleased with the conti's. Out the door I paid $670 mounted and balanced for all four.
Old 05-15-07, 12:26 PM
bishop555
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by muzzman1
I put about 35K on my factory Sport Maxx's, they were getting quite loud, so I was happy to replace them. I was looking for a quieter, longer lasting tire, serious performance is not an issue for me, I baby my IS250. I have a 700hp drag race car at home when I want to go fast.
In any case I opted for the continental extremes. They have a treadwear rating of 400, while the stock tires were 240 (I believe)
The continnental's are very quite, in fact quieter than the tires on a brand new GS350 that I have on loaner today while my brakes are being replaced today for being too dusty.
So all in all I am very pleased with the conti's. Out the door I paid $670 mounted and balanced for all four.
Wow 35k was there any tread showing at all? i replaced mine at 21k and most of the inner tread was bald
Old 05-15-07, 01:56 PM
MLevinson
Pole Position

I have 50 mi on my just delievered IS350 and I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's on order. These are much better tires then the Bridgestone Trashenzas - quiet and better for rain and can be driven in the snow.

Should be in next week so I'll snap some pics off w/I get them mounted.

Quick Reply: Quieter Tires?