Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

TPMS types

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 08:21 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS types

Does anyone know if the TPMS sensors are unique to each model or common across several models. I have an ES350 and I have been looking for some reasonably priced sensors. Common sense would lead me to believe the sensors would be common to several Lexus models and maybe even common to some Toyota models. I have seen some on eBay for a Tundra, SC, GS300, but nothing specifically for an ES350. I have not been able to find any info on how interchangeable the sensors might be. Any clues?

Pete
Old 05-15-07, 06:38 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Bump. Anybody?
Old 05-15-07, 09:46 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it comes to air sensors I would definetly not look at eBay for any help in that department. What I do recommend is just purchasing a replacement from the dealer. These things can be very sensitive sometimes. I am not sure if they vary with the model of the car but I do know that alot of them are not the same. Id just go to the dealer and pick one up.
Old 05-16-07, 07:47 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
When it comes to air sensors I would definetly not look at eBay for any help in that department. What I do recommend is just purchasing a replacement from the dealer. These things can be very sensitive sometimes. I am not sure if they vary with the model of the car but I do know that alot of them are not the same. Id just go to the dealer and pick one up.
I concur... in the tire industry, I have replaced my fair share of these things... we have tried the aftermarket route, and tried to cross-reference them as well... it never ever pans out... best bet, as mentioned, get your vin, go to dealer, have them sell you a replacement... I do believe they have to be trained into the computer on the Lexus, so you will have to have the dealer do that anyways... (or an independent with a Lexus factory capable scantool)
Old 05-21-07, 01:32 PM
OoAaronoO
Driver

from what i have been reading u cant get some toyota tmps sensors for like 100. then bring them to the deal have them put em in the comp. as a second set of wheels. then u should be good to go.
Old 05-21-07, 08:00 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OoAaronoO
from what i have been reading u cant get some toyota tmps sensors for like 100. then bring them to the deal have them put em in the comp. as a second set of wheels. then u should be good to go.
There are some that you can just pop in and drive away. Some have to be reset. Some have to be reprogrammed using a scan tool or a little magnetic doughnut. They are all different and vary for each model and vehicle manufacturer.
Old 05-21-07, 08:01 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I concur... in the tire industry, I have replaced my fair share of these things... we have tried the aftermarket route, and tried to cross-reference them as well... it never ever pans out... best bet, as mentioned, get your vin, go to dealer, have them sell you a replacement... I do believe they have to be trained into the computer on the Lexus, so you will have to have the dealer do that anyways... (or an independent with a Lexus factory capable scantool)
Just kinda curious..where do you work?
Old 05-22-07, 07:51 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
Just kinda curious..where do you work?
Ted Wiens Auto Center - Las Vegas, NV

(we're the biggest independent in town, company has been in business since 1948)
Old 05-22-07, 07:58 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Well I decided to go the cheap route and not put sensors on my new wheels. I did learn something interesting. Since mounting the new wheels on my ES350, I have not received any error messages nor does the "low tire" light show. Makes me wonder if the system was working with the original wheels! Regardless, I am happy that I don't have to deal with the lack of sensors. YMMV.

Pete