Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Question for wheel experts...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-01, 07:45 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question for wheel experts...

Hey gang,
I've noticed that on several web sites that list offsets along with their wheel sizes, they seem to separate the LS-400 as the only Lexus that can use an offset suitable for large diameter disk brakes. For example they show +35/+45 for Japanese cars, and +38 for LS-400 Hi disk applications. I'm assuming these offsets would work on the GS as well???
Old 11-28-01, 12:38 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A GS will work with +38 offsets on High Disk...my GS has that setup...on a 20" x 8.5" wheel...
Old 11-28-01, 12:42 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

High disk low disk........ which one is the one with the fattest lip?
Old 11-28-01, 01:43 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
High disk low disk........ which one is the one with the fattest lip?
Well, if MANARAY would finish his "All encompassing" wheel Q and A, and post it as a permanent (non-repliable) sticky or make it into an additional CL section, we as well as our newbies could refer to it anytime we have a question. J/K Manaray.....
But for now here goes:
-Super low disc-Used for REAR wheel apps., and will offer the LARGEST lip. You might not see this application offered on a general description spec sheet.(You sometimes have to ask for it)
-Low disc- Same as above, but more common. Will generally be about 1/2"(12-15mm) smaller than a Super low disc....
-Std. disc-If I am not mistaken this type is also referred to as Mid-disc. DEPENDING on your specific wheel shape, this type can sometimes be used with a BIG caliper without sacrificing as much lip as a high-disc fitment.
-High-disc-Designed for use with BIG caliper/rotor combos.....LEAST ammount of lip....
This is not as detailed a descrition as is available.....Anyone who has insight on this, please feel free to go into more detail.
Old 11-28-01, 07:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

manaray, tinygs, thanks for the info.

Can you name some brands of wheels that offer high disc but aren't too heavy? It looks like I can't do bigger brakes with my current rims.

I'm sure HRE is one. Manaray, I believe HRE kinda custom crafts rims, right? If so, will they make ones SPECIFICALLY for the GS hubs? So no BS with centering rings, etc.?

Ideally I'd like 18" or 19" light, high disc, hub centric rims that look good!
Old 11-28-01, 08:58 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

You'd think with all the wheels out there it wouldn't be too tall of an order!!
Old 11-28-01, 11:03 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by tinygs

Well, if MANARAY would finish his "All encompassing" wheel Q and A, and post it as a permanent (non-repliable) sticky or make it into an additional CL section, we as well as our newbies could refer to it anytime we have a question. J/K Manaray.....
But for now here goes:
-Super low disc-Used for REAR wheel apps., and will offer the LARGEST lip. You might not see this application offered on a general description spec sheet.(You sometimes have to ask for it)
-Low disc- Same as above, but more common. Will generally be about 1/2"(12-15mm) smaller than a Super low disc....
-Std. disc-If I am not mistaken this type is also referred to as Mid-disc. DEPENDING on your specific wheel shape, this type can sometimes be used with a BIG caliper without sacrificing as much lip as a high-disc fitment.
-High-disc-Designed for use with BIG caliper/rotor combos.....LEAST ammount of lip....
This is not as detailed a descrition as is available.....Anyone who has insight on this, please feel free to go into more detail.
thanks for the info tiny!
Old 11-28-01, 11:36 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tiny,

on wheel fittment 101, you will be getting an A.....
Old 11-28-01, 10:19 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna
manaray, tinygs, thanks for the info.

Can you name some brands of wheels that offer high disc but aren't too heavy? It looks like I can't do bigger brakes with my current rims.

I'm sure HRE is one. Manaray, I believe HRE kinda custom crafts rims, right? If so, will they make ones SPECIFICALLY for the GS hubs? So no BS with centering rings, etc.?

You WILL be able to find a nice wheel to fit that description. I do not have pics or spec sheets on NEARLY the variety of wheels that Manaray, Will, Wei, etc., etc. have. I took it upon myself to learn the fitments so that when I chose a wheel I could be sure it would fit and have the look I was after(what do you know, Im having to do it a second time)......... As for different styles/manufacturers and what is available in the market place, that is better left to other CL members like Manaray, Globe, Will, etc. (In other words CL members who are DEEEEP in the game...) I do know that if you stick with 18's, and go with three piece forged, you will not be getting anything tooo weighty......

Last edited by tinygs; 11-28-01 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-29-01, 04:39 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Hehehehe...Tiny, I think you can start considering yourself "deep" into the game now...you know more about wheel fitament and wheels then most people...

I'm still working on the Wheel Manifesto...sorry, I've been busy lately and I'm trying to compile some more information from various manufacturers...

Bit: HRE can custom make you any fitament you want...they already GS specific numbers so you can just call up Mo@SRT and order...

I would go 19" instead 18"...but that's just me

My HRE's are high disk with plenty of clearance (but not enough to go Mid/Normal disk...just a few mm shy but I'm not about shave my brakes!) and I have a 1.5" wide lip on a 8.5" wide wheel...balance is perfect...no vibrations at any speed or weird wear...and I've never had an alignment (and my wheels were install the same day my coilovers went in)...

Bit, if you're interested in some HRE's (in 19" with a reverse lip with a 2" front lip and a 3" rear lip), please email me...I might have something that might interest you... )
Old 11-29-01, 06:10 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

I have to agree with gs4will and Manaray. Tiny, you've really picked up on this wheel madness. I remember when you first came here (CL) and you had zero mod's and you were just asking questions. Now when I see you post i know it's good info because you've done your homework. It's too bad that you put so much effort into getting the perfect wheel (for you) and now you have to do it again.
Old 11-29-01, 09:38 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so if I understand correctly, it sounds like if I want to get a decent sized lip and be able to put on slightly larger rotors, I should go with a mid-disk wheel as a good compromise? What offset would that be?
I like the LECs RCK wheel, but don't know of anyone besides Hiro that carries them. I saw a similar style on the Riverside website posted by manaray, and they were made by Trafficstar. Is this a reputable manufacturer or are they knockoffs?
Old 11-29-01, 09:54 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

mumbles,

i saw a LS with the 18" lec rck rims here in LA, the lip size might disappoint(sp?) you. either the rim itself does not have big lip, or the owner prefer small lip size/he does not know this sort of things..:eek:

you should be able to find similar style rim with good size lip. btw, the rck wheel quality is ok

william
Old 11-29-01, 10:40 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gs4will
mumbles,

i saw a LS with the 18" lec rck rims here in LA, the lip size might disappoint(sp?) you. either the rim itself does not have big lip, or the owner prefer small lip size/he does not know this sort of things..:eek:

you should be able to find similar style rim with good size lip. btw, the rck wheel quality is ok

william
Hi William,
Here is a pic of the wheel on Hiros site, although it's in chrome. I thought it had a pretty good sized lip.
http://store6.yimg.com/I/lexusparts_1656_4444531
This is kinda the wheel I'm leaning towards. I like a few others too, the Dronell M05, and the SSR GT-3, but don't know of anyone that has the LECS which makes it more appealing.
Old 11-29-01, 10:05 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

mumbles,

i had same exact thoughts too after i saw the pic. BUT, few days later, i saw the rim in person on a LS430 at a local lex dealer, they were not as impressive as i thought(hoped), esp the size of lip

Quick Reply: Question for wheel experts...