Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Axis Shine

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 11:57 PM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axis Shine

Has anyone installed this wheel on the 2nd generation GS? If so, please let me know what's your opinion as for quality and look goes. Is it worth an investment? I'm thinking about going 19x8.5 fronts and 19x9.5 rears. Please let me know. Thanks.

John

http://wheelstudio.com/catalog/popup...3bf149ce3aa961
Old 04-01-07, 01:44 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

no it is not worth your investment, please purchase some quality wheels like maybe Work? Weds? Volk? Leon Hardiritt?

Knock off rims do not belong on Lexus vehicles.
Old 04-01-07, 02:04 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I always thought Axis was an OK wheel manufacturer?
Old 04-01-07, 07:32 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
I always thought Axis was an OK wheel manufacturer?
They are, they just aren't 3 grand a set, like many of the people here on CL feel you need to spend to get a "decent" set of wheels...

What many don't realize is that not everyone on here wants to spend 3 grand on a set of wheels, whereas other areas of the vehicle are able to utilize that money much more effectively...

The 2G's I saved by not going to one of those brands will go towards a 1jz motor swap, and the accompanying mods to get her to at least 350 whp...

Which would you rather have - really nice wheels, or decent wheels and 200 more hp? seems simple to me, but maybe I'm dumb...

Of course if I had enough money to throw around and spend what I wanted, I wouldn't be driving a SC400, I'd be driving either a Supra, Skyline, or Ferrari 348...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 04-01-07 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-01-07, 01:42 PM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Default thanks

alright thanks guys. I was quoted $2520 for all four wheels with dunlop direzza tires. still not good enough? As for the other better quality rims, where are some places that I could get good prices at?
Old 04-02-07, 06:42 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

It's funny, these Axis Shines are a direct knock off of one of TSW's rim. Knock off copying knock off...haha.

I think if you look a little more harder you'd know that almost every vendor on CL is here to help you choose your next set of rims. Why don't you try them??
Old 04-02-07, 06:54 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by RacingLuxury
alright thanks guys. I was quoted $2520 for all four wheels with dunlop direzza tires. still not good enough? As for the other better quality rims, where are some places that I could get good prices at?
sounds kinda pricey for a not-so-premium wheel...

As was mentioned, they are very close to TSW, and there are other manufacturers that sell the same style wheel for much less (less than $1000 for the set)...

the tires should be less than $900 as well, if not cheaper...
Old 04-02-07, 11:32 PM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Default glad i asked

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
It's funny, these Axis Shines are a direct knock off of one of TSW's rim. Knock off copying knock off...haha.

I think if you look a little more harder you'd know that almost every vendor on CL is here to help you choose your next set of rims. Why don't you try them??
I'm so glad I asked for all of you guys' opinion. I didn't think that it was that overpriced but now I'm more awared of it. I've never had a set of wheels on my car so new to this upgrade. I guess I'll contact the vendors. thanks you all. But if anyone has any more suggestions please keep posting it for me. I'm going to lower my budget to $2200 tires and rims. is that an ok budget for 19s?
Old 04-02-07, 11:45 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

here's a quick comparison:

TSW wheels - $875, 19x8 and 19x9.5 (retail price from discountiredirect.com)

and:
275/30-19R / 245/35-19F
Bridgestone RE050's or BFG KDW's - $980 (retail price from tirerack.com)

Both those tires would run circles around the Dunlops, and in terms of wheel quality, TSW is going to be one of the higher quality not exotic wheels (standard cast alloy)

So, look around, you'll find some deals...
Old 04-03-07, 04:38 PM
BUSTN
Instructor

Originally Posted by Xotic sC

It's actually a copy of the MAYA DLS wheel.
Old 04-03-07, 04:54 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like them and I would buy them. I think Axis are great wheels. I have money to purchase wheels, hence why I have iforged, but I think next time I would get Axis or similar because I do like their style. I save the big time wheels for a Astin Martin or Porsche. Plus I won't feel as bad about bending them or getting dents and scratches in them like my Iforged. So far they been in the shop twice for repairs. Really bad roads here.
Old 04-03-07, 09:25 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingLuxury
alright thanks guys. I was quoted $2520 for all four wheels with dunlop direzza tires. still not good enough?
$2500 for that set w/ tires is pretty pricey. You can always be patient and wait a bit for a good deal. Just to give you an idea, I purchased an almost new (300 miles) set of staggered 20" EXE wheels (which are supposed to be the nearly emerged "luxury" segment of Axis) with almost new (300 miles) Falken FK-452 tires for $1800 here on CL. To be honest with you, if you're willing to spend $2500, you can find much better wheels and tires right here on CL. Just be patient and find a well-cared for set.
Old 04-03-07, 11:31 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always find good deals on used rims and tires and wheels as well. Try craigslist as well and buy one of those tread depth tools to measure how much longer the tire will last you. A lot of people lose their *** on rims and tires when they trade their car in or don't like the "feel" of big rims...That's when you pounce on them. Ok got a little excited. Good luck.
Old 04-04-07, 07:32 AM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Default oh yes...

Originally Posted by sleeper408
$2500 for that set w/ tires is pretty pricey. You can always be patient and wait a bit for a good deal. Just to give you an idea, I purchased an almost new (300 miles) set of staggered 20" EXE wheels (which are supposed to be the nearly emerged "luxury" segment of Axis) with almost new (300 miles) Falken FK-452 tires for $1800 here on CL. To be honest with you, if you're willing to spend $2500, you can find much better wheels and tires right here on CL. Just be patient and find a well-cared for set.

I'm so glad I didn't go through with the deal. I'm going to wait a while to find some better wheels at a more resonable price. Thanks man.
Old 04-04-07, 07:41 AM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Default lol

Originally Posted by jasonm
I always find good deals on used rims and tires and wheels as well. Try craigslist as well and buy one of those tread depth tools to measure how much longer the tire will last you. A lot of people lose their *** on rims and tires when they trade their car in or don't like the "feel" of big rims...That's when you pounce on them. Ok got a little excited. Good luck.

I can tell you had a good time getting your last set of wheels. lol I would too if I found a great deal on something that I really wanted but then again I get very skeptical about why they're selling it for so cheap....and I lose the deal to someone else. bummers... figures why I've never had a set of wheels for my poor old 1998 baby...

Quick Reply: Axis Shine