Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Offset Selection: What is wrong with Lexus owners?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 05:43 PM
punch10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offset Selection: What is wrong with Lexus owners?

What is it with the Lexus owners that aren't willing to roll their rear quarter panels to fit a flush wheel? I mean what is the point of buying aftermarket wheels that have a weak-*** offset and are sunk in? I'm not talking about a flair or a pull, I'm talking about a very minor pull or a roll of the lip. I just don't understand it. I've seen so many GSs with nice wheels that are considered safe from iForged or HRE because they don't have to roll the fenders. However, it just looks like crap to me and doesn't do the car justice.

Anyway, where are the lexus owners that have rolled the rear lips?

Last edited by punch10; 03-31-07 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-31-07, 07:49 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see my sig.
Old 03-31-07, 07:49 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What a rant! I rolled the fenders on my SC but I won't ever do that to another car. The paint crack on the underside and almost split on the outside. That's without class imo. My wheels sit flush on my 2 other cars but the drop is mild. Proper fitment is the right way to go. To me, a Lexus is a classy car and not for ripping up to make extreme wheel fitment work. People can do what they like but I won't ever roll fenders again.
Old 03-31-07, 08:10 PM
punch10
Driver

Originally Posted by reggiek
What a rant! I rolled the fenders on my SC but I won't ever do that to another car. The paint crack on the underside and almost split on the outside. That's without class imo. My wheels sit flush on my 2 other cars but the drop is mild. Proper fitment is the right way to go. To me, a Lexus is a classy car and not for ripping up to make extreme wheel fitment work. People can do what they like but I won't ever roll fenders again.
I guess I did go off on a rant. There is extreme measures for the most aggressive offset, then there are those offsets for a fender roll. Extreme is not a fender roll. Extreme is a 15-25 mm pull/flair, which I ultimately want to do on my car, when I get different wheels.
Old 03-31-07, 08:11 PM
punch10
Driver

Originally Posted by Caoboy
see my sig.
I'll sign up, I guess Clublexus isn't the place for aggressive offsets.
Old 03-31-07, 08:48 PM
Koofter
Driver School Candidate

What should the offset be on a 06 gs300 if you were gonna get new wheels and tires so that it would look normal
Old 03-31-07, 09:30 PM
punch10
Driver

Originally Posted by Koofter
What should the offset be on a 06 gs300 if you were gonna get new wheels and tires so that it would look normal
It depends...what widths? I currently am running 9.5 +38/11 +41 and I think this is a flush setup that doesn't require a flare. Just a fender roll and maybe a very slight pull. If you are running a slammed setup, there is a lip on the upper inside of the quarter panel that needs to be hammered.
Old 03-31-07, 09:34 PM
Koofter
Driver School Candidate

There are these wheels i am interested in. There 20s by 8.5. The offset option on them is either +20mm or +40mm. Prob gonna get same size tires all around. Some guy told me 265 35 20 should be fine and wont rub. This offset business really confuses me though. Which one of the two would be the right one. Or are they both wrong?
Old 03-31-07, 09:43 PM
punch10
Driver

Originally Posted by Koofter
There are these wheels i am interested in. There 20s by 8.5. The offset option on them is either +20mm or +40mm. Prob gonna get same size tires all around. Some guy told me 265 35 20 should be fine and wont rub. This offset business really confuses me though. Which one of the two would be the right one. Or are they both wrong?
No offense and its good that you are asking, but the width you just listed is not wide enough in my opinion. Go 9.5 front and 11 Rear staggered setup.
Old 03-31-07, 10:03 PM
CuCaMonstr
Driver School Candidate

Most lexus owners are too prissy to run agressive off sets for the fat lip and wide tires. Rolling fenders is not a science and if the paint cracks the go to a damn body shop and have it fixed.

If you dont have at least a 4.5 inch lip on a 11 inch wheel and a 305 rear tire you might as well go home..

Last edited by CuCaMonstr; 03-31-07 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-01-07, 04:11 AM
edwin907
Driver

If a big lip is what you want, maybe you bought the wrong car.

Here's my 71 'vette, built with no consideration for wheel lip, just used what worked.

Old 04-01-07, 06:45 AM
punch10
Driver

That's a bowl not a lip. There are cars that don't work well with a larger lip like a late model vette (not zo6). My wheels on my GS has a 4.5 inch lip with a fender roll. It is all about offset selection.
Old 04-01-07, 11:48 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CuCaMonstr
Most lexus owners are too prissy to run agressive off sets for the fat lip and wide tires. Rolling fenders is not a science and if the paint cracks the go to a damn body shop and have it fixed.

If you dont have at least a 4.5 inch lip on a 11 inch wheel and a 305 rear tire you might as well go home..
I'm joking when I say his although I do mean it.
Who are you calling prissy. Try saying it face to face....I'll show you prissy. A Lexus is not a ricemobile. Not a Civic. Not a Tercel. Proper wheel fitment is essential.
Old 04-01-07, 01:16 PM
CuCaMonstr
Driver School Candidate

No one said the lexus was a ricemobile. You probably have that sunken battleship look - which is ok if you are happy with that, but I am talking about an aggressive offset and lip that compliments the vehicle. How the hell did you get civic and tercel out of my post.
Old 04-01-07, 01:34 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fitting proper wheels means filling the wheel well. MOST people here on CL buy wheels, with stockish offsets, so they can use their stock tires, or because they are afraid of rubbing a little bit, when you can just roll your fenders, and call it a day. you CAN have someone measure out the EXACT measurements you need, wheel width/size and offset. they can show you how to fit the biggest (like 19/20") wheel, with the most lip possible, and be able to achieve tsuraichi, still not rub, and look awesome in the process.

if you take the time to actually look into buying wheels, see what's actually out there, what you can actually achieve, and don't buy off the shelf wheels, with 'fitting' offsets (which usually don't even fit very well, and are typical HONDA offsets) from ebay (OMG why do lexus owners even look there) or stores like tirerack( no offense, tires are nice, but your wheel selection isn't)
then you can spend the money to get the best selection, the best brands, and the best looks/compliments about your wheels!

i don't justify spending ~3k on wheels/tires and have my wheels NOT be flush/exactly how i want them to look.

Quick Reply: Offset Selection: What is wrong with Lexus owners?